“Romantic and Beautiful”

Ranked #34 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Edmonton, Canada
“Romantic and Beautiful”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We went to Vancouver for two days March 18 and 19. The staff was more then helpful. They gave us the most beautiful room with a view to English Bay.The location is the best in Vancouver. We enjoyed brunch in there restaurant looking out at English bay. We loved everything about this Hotel, and hope to be back soon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JANETH154914
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
I agree the views from the view rooms are amazing. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the restaurant as well. Our Sunday brunch has always been a draw for the locals as well as hotel guests on the weekends. I have to agree with you that we do have the best location in Vancouver to stay while in Vancouver. We will look forward to serving you on your return visit to the Sylvia Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Victoria
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Arrived around 5pm. Check in was a breeze!
My room was small ,with a great view.
Staying at the Sylvia is really like a grab bag, with no bad grabs!!!
After leaving my bag in the room, went to the "cocktail lounge". It was the first one in Vancouver many years ago.
They serve yummy cocktails, all with an amazing view of English Bay. This is a classic lounge. No noisy music or TV's. Thank goodness.
It is, literally, right across the street. A nice long stretch of sandy beach, and lovely beach walk which will take you all around Stanely Park if you so choose.
The food was fine, nothing out of the ordinary, which is a shame, but not expected. Service was great for breakfast too.
Bed was very comfy, and the room quiet.
This was my second stay,even better than the first.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sheril M
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
I love your description of the rooms we have as we do have so many room types, it is like a "grab bag" (with no bad grabs) as you put it. Our lounge is a classic with great views at sunset. Welcome back.
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012

The Sylvia hotel is the most friendly and beautiful hotel I've stayed in for ages. It has the most friendly staff even at six in the morning they were the most friendly people in the world. Amazing location. Can't wait to stay there again xx

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view of the bay xx
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lucy P
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Thank-you for your comments, I will print them off and post them in the lunch room for all the staff to read. We have a great location and when you match that up with great service, you have a great Hotel.
I am so proud of my crew; I feel that they help in making sure that every guest has a great experience while staying at the Sylvia Hotel. Thank-you for crew making us look good
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This hotel was built before WWI and has the perfect location overlooking English Bay. In a city that is hyper modern, it is so great to have this landmark piece of architecture survive. The dining room and bar have the perfect view over English Bay and the ships at anchor in its Roads.

The Edwardian Charm still there. I loved this Hotel and even though less grand than the Big Hotel's of Vancouver, it is definitely the most charming and very reasonably priced. I will go back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pcorsano
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
I agree with you, I have always liked the hotels with character and charm; next year will be the Sylvia Hotels 100th year in operation. The first hotel on English Bay with the views from the lounge at night which are the best in the city in my opinion. We hope to keep the rates reasonable and offer the best service possible. So we will look forward to your return visit to Vancouver and thank-you for your comments.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2012

It is perfectly located by the park and right on the beach. The view is stunning and it is close to downtown by not downtown... so perfect. From the front door to the water is literally 50 yards.

But the place is a ... dump. Terribly unkind but true. The staff are nice and breakfast fine. The rooms are roomy. But everything needs updating. From the doors, to the ceiling to the walls. I think it is mostly clean but it is so old and cracked and ill-fitted that you you never really feel that it is clean. In a perfect world someone would turn it into the ultra trendy hotel with a 80 million dollar reno.

I wish I liked it more.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank parrot101
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Location, location, location, and the beach are 50 yards away, and Stanley Park 3 blocks away. We value your opinion and we do recognize that we are an older hotel with charm is not like the trendy 80 million dollar hotels, however, the Sylvia Hotel is still here offering great service since 1912. The hotel is extremely clean and has passed every inspection with very high ratings. I also would add that I am sure that the price you would pay for the more trendy hotels is much more than what you paid for your last stay with us and the value you received was more than expected.
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Generally I would stay at the Sutton Place Hotel in Vancouver but due to a sold out night I was required to make alternative arrangements and until I stumbled upon the Sylvia I was at about 549/night that was available. I did know about the Sylvia but thought it was a boutique compared to a Heritage Hotel and expected it to be quite pricey. To my surprise it was very reasonable below 125/night in downtown Vancouver or more specifically right at English Bay just off Denman. Beautiful location with stunning views from the pub/restaurant. I didn't have a bayside room but the corner room I did stay in was very large with a small private bedroom and 2 queen beds in main room, it was rustic (not sure about the safety of the doorlock system)but very well kept. Really good live music Thursday nights, I think it is a must try.

Room Tip: The higher the better and I supect the corner rooms are the largest on all floors. Stay away from th...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tod A
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
I was happy to hear that you were not able to get into the Sutton Place Hotel as there loss is the Sylvia's gain, we may not have been able to introduce our hotel if they were not sold out. I often hear that we offer great value for the location and service offered our guests. To address you comments about the key system, we are happy to say that we have been using the same key system since 1912 with out any issues. I will pass along your comments to housekeeping about the cleanliness of your room, they like to hear comments like that, thank-you. We will look forward to serving you on your next visit to Vancouver, (even if the Sutton Place is not sold out) as I believe you will be back soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Hotel dates back to an apartment block of the early 1900s and has an old-fashioned feel, but not in a bad way. Our room, facing towards the sea, was decidedly chilly on arrival as the windows had been left open to air out the room, but the room was very spacious with good facilities. Details such as light fixtures need attention as the hotel's refurbishment continues, but the hotel is a good choice for a short, economical stay in Vancouver -- close to downtown, and at the beginning of a glorious walk (on a fine day) around Stanley Park. Good breakfast in attached restaurant, but real maple syrup a necessity -- not available, but should be, even if at a slight additional cost!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank NPassant
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
I am sorry to hear that your room was chilly when you arrived; my guess is that the maid was airing out the room and did not close the window; I will forward your comments to the housekeeping department as a reminder. I agree with you about our great breakfasts, they are served quickly and hot, I will forward your comments about the syrup to the Chef and Food and Beverage Manager. Thank-you for the recommendation.