1,745 results
All reviews stanley park overlooking english bay historic hotel denman street west end there is no air conditioning sea wall granville island an older hotel can't beat the location fabulous location lots of restaurants within easy walking distance visit vancouver ivy lounge seawall
Reviewed February 12, 2019

The Sylvia has been in operation since 1912 and is the only hotel adjacent to English Bay. It's less than 100 meters from Vancouver's Stanley Park, and minutes via cab or transit bus from Vancouver's entertainment district and the trendy upscale Robson Street shopping area.

I stayed a night at this little gem back in early December 2018. The room rate was considerably less than that of the larger chain-run hotels along Vancouver's inner harbour.

I had a very comfortable southeast corner room with a great view of English Bay beach, and the outer part of Burrard Inlet. The area is, compared to the downtown area of the city, relatively quiet, which makes for a better night's sleep. Getting up to a lovely outer harbour vista, with the chance, on a good day, of seeing the mountains of Vancouver Island on the western strand of Georgia Strait, is invigorating!

The staff at the hotel are very friendly and professional. The hotel's restaurant is excellent, and the room service is up to the mark! The lounge is one of the last small live music venues in the city, providing live bands seven nights a week. By the way, both the lounge and the restaurant provide a lovely view of the bay, and some memorable sunsets that come free of charge!

If you're an organization that is looking for a small meeting space for up to 14 people, with a decent room rate, this is a good place to make a reservation. They will also allow you to order lunch/dinner off the restaurant menu.

This hotel is, in my opinion, a great value for the traveler who wants a comfortable, quiet room with quality amenities at a reasonable night's rate!

Room tip: Try to get, if it is in your budget, a harbour front room. Some of them have kitchenettes.
Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank jwholman
rossdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2019

Thank-you for your well written review about your time with us. however I do need to correct you, we do not offer live music 7 nights per week, please review our web site for the dates, times and musicians playing on music nights. I appreciate a well written review that informs future guests what they can expect when staying with us. Thank-you for your kind words and please always call the hotel directly to get the best room types and rates that we do not offer on third party web sites.

Reviewed February 9, 2019 via mobile

Have stayed here on the occasions we visited Vancouver over the past 30 years. I remember when this lovely hotel even had a doorman.
The Sylvia is located on English Bay near Stanley Park, with great walking paths and is located in a safe neighbourhood for walking. Is very dog friendly and the staff are pleasant. The food is good and there is usually entertainment.
However .... apparently I didn’t see the references to the ongoing plumbing renovations being undertaken at the hotel. When it was pointed out to me I still felt that it was understated. There are ongoing renovations on every floor. Carpets covered up with paper/plastic, materials and tools piled in the halls, work carts in the elevators etc. The workers did stop at a reasonable hour however and it was quiet through the night. I honestly cannot say whether our room had been renovated or not as it, along with the hallway, was extremely dull, dark and dingy. The 3 small lights were no help in brightening the room. The bathrooms are very small and the water pressure was weak. The sink plug broke but as I was getting ready for bed I chose not to have maintenance come that night but told the front desk upon check out.
I think this old girl is really in need of a complete makeover ....
I’ll call it a day at this hotel and opt for something fresher and brighter in Vancouver next time and will not recommend it going forward.

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank-you for staying with us, we appreciate your business. I am sorry that you do not see the value in staying with us. Yes as we are 107 years old some plumbing upgrades were needed and I thank you for informing in your post that the construction did not effect your stay. We will be here for another 107 years if you change your mind and decide to return. For the price and location I hope you find what you are looking for.

Reviewed January 28, 2019

A quaint, historic hotel that we love to stay at when in Vancouver! Close to public transportation, the seawall (a must-do when there), many great restaurants. The lounge/bar in the hotel has the best cocktails and breakfast! Would go there just for that, even if I didn't stay at the hotel!

Date of stay: October 2018
1  Thank GJDueck

Thank-you for the high praise about your thoughts on your stay with us. Our bartenders take a lot of pride in making some excitant drinks from days gone by as well as some fantastic new infusion drinks. Please do return (even if you do not stay with us) to enjoy the food and Beverages at the Sylvia Hotel

Reviewed January 21, 2019

I stayed here recently because the price was excellent. Probably a combination of off season and ongoing renovations. Hotel is dated but quaint. My room was clean and bed was okay. Bathroom was very small but everything except the light over the sink worked.

Location across from English Bay is awesome with direct access to the seawall walk.

There is nightly music in the bar and they make great cocktails. Breakfast in the restaurant was good.

Date of stay: January 2019

Thank-you for taking the time to write me with your thoughts about your stay and posting them on this site. Yes the renovations will be completed soon and we are very excited about that. I will pass on your comments to the Chef and Food and Beverage Manager to share with their teams. Please return so we can serve you again.

Reviewed January 20, 2019

Our waiter had a very insincere attitude and he was very slow.... 10+ minutes to even get a drink. The (free) nibble while we waited was VERY sweet when usually a savoury is offered. The salad for me was great, my friend had no cheese and when we told the waiter, there was NO offer to get her any! Main fish dish for me was great. The 2 desserts offered were far too sweet and sickly. The Manager had a better attitude.

Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank-you for your comments, I will follow up with the team to see where we can improve. Happy to read you enjoyed the meals. we look forward to your next visit to enjoy the views of English Bay