“Lovely boutique hotel!”

Ranked #37 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
“Lovely boutique hotel!”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is the second time I have stayed here. and on this second visit it was for two nights. I just read the previous review and was quite amazed. This hotel is in a building that was built around 1896. Lots of old world charm and character. The hallways sort of feel seedy-chic, but the rooms are lovely. High ceilings, antique style furnishings, Wonderful trim on the doors and windows. Modern bathrooms. GREAT king beds and wonderful linens (major plus) -- also fabulous robes. I bought one on my first visit and am buying two more this time! On my second visit, I stayed on the ground floor (which is still high above street leve.) because there is no elevator. Each time I enjoyed the free breakfast of fruit, yogurt, granola and fantastic croissants (really!) available from 7 - 9 am. The staff here are all very friendly and helpful. It is a family owned hotel and feels personal and "homey". It is well situated in the city and you can walk to everything. It has gated parking in the back. And as such, to me it is an incredible value for what you receive for what they charge. An attractive room with elegant touches, King bed, parking plus taxes fro $130. What's not to like? I agree with an earleir review that called it a hidden gem. Totally.
I come to Vancouver a lot (live on an island near by) and this is definitely going to be my home away from home. Note: I am a fussy person. I have to have a great bed. I have to feel comfortable about where I am staying and I travel a lot incidentally. I would say it has a European feel. It is much much nicer than the Beacon Hotel on the Upper West side of Manhattan where I stayed in October for $400 a night. (and no free breakfast there, or robes.)
This place is a true value.

Room Tip: Rooms on Pender street do have traffic noise; but you can get rooms on the opposite side. My fav roo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Georgia108
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
What a delightful review Georgia. Thank you so very much for your kind words. It seems like your discovering us was truly in the cards. We look forward to living up to your high standards. Stay fussy.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed one night when in Vancouver for business. Friendly check-in and was offered a choice of rooms - one with bathroom attached, and another with private bathroom across the hall. Room had nice hardwood floors and very high ceilings. Bathroom was small and the shower stall was very stall - not ideal for those with long limbs!

Room was also VERY cold. Very cold draft coming in through the window and a in-room heating was not functioning. There was a small space heater, but it took hours to bring the room to a decent temperatures. Bundled up and slept with socks and sweaters under robes (conveniently provided by the hotel). Lots of light bleed trough the window and under the door from the hall outside. Room was not very well insulated and noise could certainly be heard from the lobby. Breakfast was supposed to be offered from 7-9am, but there was nothing left when I came by within this time.

Person at check-out was not particularly kind or helpful when the cold room was mentioned. Very much wanted to like this cute hotel, but unfortunately I cannot see staying there again. Too many better options in Vancouver.

Room Tip: Unless you're looking for a budget option, make certain there is a bathroom attached to the room...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank BrewTravels
Brew Travels, I get a chill just reading your comments. And on behalf of all of us I apologize for your uncomfortable stay. With respect to the heat, we should have picked up on that immediately and provided you a different room. Sometimes the heat gets turned down in those rooms and with the high ceilings it does take an extra-long time to get them back to normal. We missed that and from your description we also missed an opportunity to cheer you up in the morning. There are no excuses, but we are better than that and I urge you to contact me directly so that I may make it possible for you to see our true colours.
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

A true, hidden gem in the heart of Vancouver! Short distance to everything. The building, currently being updated here and there, has lots of personality and charm. Our room was great with two large beds and a corner with a couch and chairs where we could sit and read. We had our own bathroom, so it was really just perfect! Free wifi and breakfast only adds to the nice experience! Very friendly and helpful staff. Even the housemaids we met in the hallways! We will be back again whenever we visit Vancouver in the future! This is the type of hotel that stands out from the mass of sad, sad chainhotels that all deliver a certain service but have absolutely no charm at all.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Anders J
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Hooray for the Danes! We couldn't be happier to hear your comments about our hotel Anders. I must say, your kind words about our staff are heartfelt and greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much and please hurry back.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed for 5 days at the start of our 5 week Canadian holiday and enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and the decor of the rooms and rest of the hotel was really nice. We stayed in the double room which had everything you needed but it was a bit on the cozy size, particularly as we were in town for the BC Bike Race and we had 3 bags and a boxed mountain bike between the two of us! But we were already aware of what the rooms were like and this hotel was much better than our next option which was a backpackers hostel. Once the bike had been put together the hotel staff let us keep it in the basement which was great. The central location was definitely a bonus, and most of the major sights are within a short walk or bike ride. The shared bathrooms weren't an issue and were always clean. We never had to wait to use the showers or toilets. Breakfast was basic but filling and of good quality, the only thing missing was juice. Overall a great choice for those wanting a clean, comfy budget option but are over staying at backpackers hostels.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AliceMatthews
Thank you so much for your comments Alice M. It was a pleasure having you both stay with us, as your energy and friendly attitude was infectious. We certainly look forward to seeing you again soon.
Blackstone, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

5 minute walk from the central station right in the middle of downtown. Free breakfast and wi-fi was a plus. You could seriously walk just about anywhere from this hotel. Shared bathrooms take a little getting used to. I might've shelled out some more money for a private, but I was on a budget. Staff was excellent. Especially Brian...whom I hope tried that Pourhouse burger I told him about. Overall this place gets the job done as far as hotels go. My return trip would include this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jmw4golf17
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Hey JMW thanks for the review. It was a real pleasure having you with us and yes, the cheeseburger was "All world" so were the Manhattans...
Kolkata, India
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The hotel is a steep climb from the Station. Aged people and travellers with heavy luggage need fitness or have to hire a cab for the short 15 min walking distance from the station to the hotel. You also need to carry your luggage up or down a steep flight of stairs should you get a 2nd story room. The reception is a happy place and everybody who mans the place throughout the day are always eager to help you should you face any problems (which I haven't faced any during my 5 days stay at Vancouver. It is located centrally in the city and most of the sightseeing places are within walking distance.
The bathrooms may not be attached with your rooms but they are a treat to go to. They are really royal rooms and you start to feel like a king when you are in them, they are so lavishly decorated that they can put the 5-stars to shame, and the nos are adequate for the floor. Breakfast is simple but sufficient.
The rooms are adequate if not big and the bed is comfortable too. Coffee and tea is provided but the best part is that the coffee maker in the breakfast room is on throughout the day and after a tiring day of sightseeing, the free coffee is welcome.
Overall, I would again like to stay here if I visit Vancouver, in future.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the front side for a good view from the bay windows while you are having a cuppa.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dr_B_Maitra
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Many thanks for your review Doctor B. I must say, I'm not sure if our Deluxe rooms put 5 Star suites to shame but we're certainly very proud of them. I should also point out that guests arriving by Sky Train from the airport, can get off at the Granville station and the walk is only 3 blocks (from the Dunsmuir exit) and more or less down hill. My kind of stroll. Many thanks again sir, and please look us up on your next visit.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights prior to departing on a cruise and then again for 1 night on our return. On both occasions staff were friendly and helpful and our room was clean and comfortable with a king-size bed and an ensuite bathroom. The hotel is beautifully restored and furnished with period style furniture and located close to shopping and dining districts and the cruise terminal. Our only complaint was that there are no elevators and it was difficult to manoeuvre 2 large suitcases up the 2 flights of stairs. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie L
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Well thank you so very much for your kind words and recommendation Julie L. I regret you had to struggle with your luggage. We try to help with bags every chance we get but obviously we missed your work-out and for that I'm sorry. But It sounds like you had a great stay in Vancouver and we certainly look forward to seeing you again.