Victorian Hotel
Opus Hotel(Vancouver)
US$387
US$373
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
US$196
US$317
US$295
Suttonplace.com
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn Downtown(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
US$350
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus Sands(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
US$350
US$318
BestWestern.com
US$281
US$255
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsno elevatorsalvation armyshared bathroomcanned fruitprivate bathcontinental breakfastbay windowhardwood floorsfirst floorgas townstay there againstreet noisewaterfront stationking roomcomfortable bedsfew minutes walkcruise port
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed one night when in Vancouver for business. Friendly check-in and was offered a choice of rooms - one with bathroom attached, and another with private bathroom across the hall. Room had nice hardwood floors and very high ceilings. Bathroom was small and the shower stall was very stall - not ideal for those with long limbs!

Room was also VERY cold. Very cold draft coming in through the window and a in-room heating was not functioning. There was a small space heater, but it took hours to bring the room to a decent temperatures. Bundled up and slept with socks and sweaters under robes (conveniently provided by the hotel). Lots of light bleed trough the window and under the door from the hall outside. Room was not very well insulated and noise could certainly be heard from the lobby. Breakfast was supposed to be offered from 7-9am, but there was nothing left when I came by within this time.

Person at check-out was not particularly kind or helpful when the cold room was mentioned. Very much wanted to like this cute hotel, but unfortunately I cannot see staying there again. Too many better options in Vancouver.

Room Tip: Unless you're looking for a budget option, make certain there is a bathroom attached to the room. Some rooms have shared baths.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank BrewTravels
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Brew Travels, I get a chill just reading your comments. And on behalf of all of us I apologize for your uncomfortable stay. With respect to the heat, we should have picked up on that immediately and provided you a different room. Sometimes the heat gets turned down in those rooms and with the high ceilings it does take an extra-long time to get them back to normal. We missed that and from your description we also missed an opportunity to cheer you up in the morning. There are no excuses, but we are better than that and I urge you to contact me directly so that I may make it possible for you to see our true colours.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

A true, hidden gem in the heart of Vancouver! Short distance to everything. The building, currently being updated here and there, has lots of personality and charm. Our room was great with two large beds and a corner with a couch and chairs where we could sit and read. We had our own bathroom, so it was really just perfect! Free wifi and breakfast only adds to the nice experience! Very friendly and helpful staff. Even the housemaids we met in the hallways! We will be back again whenever we visit Vancouver in the future! This is the type of hotel that stands out from the mass of sad, sad chainhotels that all deliver a certain service but have absolutely no charm at all.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Anders J
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Hooray for the Danes! We couldn't be happier to hear your comments about our hotel Anders. I must say, your kind words about our staff are heartfelt and greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much and please hurry back.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed for 5 days at the start of our 5 week Canadian holiday and enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and the decor of the rooms and rest of the hotel was really nice. We stayed in the double room which had everything you needed but it was a bit on the cozy size, particularly as we were in town for the BC Bike Race and we had 3 bags and a boxed mountain bike between the two of us! But we were already aware of what the rooms were like and this hotel was much better than our next option which was a backpackers hostel. Once the bike had been put together the hotel staff let us keep it in the basement which was great. The central location was definitely a bonus, and most of the major sights are within a short walk or bike ride. The shared bathrooms weren't an issue and were always clean. We never had to wait to use the showers or toilets. Breakfast was basic but filling and of good quality, the only thing missing was juice. Overall a great choice for those wanting a clean, comfy budget option but are over staying at backpackers hostels.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AliceMatthews

Thank you so much for your comments Alice M. It was a pleasure having you both stay with us, as your energy and friendly attitude was infectious. We certainly look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

5 minute walk from the central station right in the middle of downtown. Free breakfast and wi-fi was a plus. You could seriously walk just about anywhere from this hotel. Shared bathrooms take a little getting used to. I might've shelled out some more money for a private, but I was on a budget. Staff was excellent. Especially Brian...whom I hope tried that Pourhouse burger I told him about. Overall this place gets the job done as far as hotels go. My return trip would include this hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank jmw4golf17
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Hey JMW thanks for the review. It was a real pleasure having you with us and yes, the cheeseburger was "All world" so were the Manhattans...

Reviewed November 2, 2013

The hotel is a steep climb from the Station. Aged people and travellers with heavy luggage need fitness or have to hire a cab for the short 15 min walking distance from the station to the hotel. You also need to carry your luggage up or down a steep flight of stairs should you get a 2nd story room. The reception is a happy place and everybody who mans the place throughout the day are always eager to help you should you face any problems (which I haven't faced any during my 5 days stay at Vancouver. It is located centrally in the city and most of the sightseeing places are within walking distance.
The bathrooms may not be attached with your rooms but they are a treat to go to. They are really royal rooms and you start to feel like a king when you are in them, they are so lavishly decorated that they can put the 5-stars to shame, and the nos are adequate for the floor. Breakfast is simple but sufficient.
The rooms are adequate if not big and the bed is comfortable too. Coffee and tea is provided but the best part is that the coffee maker in the breakfast room is on throughout the day and after a tiring day of sightseeing, the free coffee is welcome.
Overall, I would again like to stay here if I visit Vancouver, in future.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the front side for a good view from the bay windows while you are having a cuppa.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dr_B_Maitra
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Many thanks for your review Doctor B. I must say, I'm not sure if our Deluxe rooms put 5 Star suites to shame but we're certainly very proud of them. I should also point out that guests arriving by Sky Train from the airport, can get off at the Granville station and the walk is only 3 blocks (from the Dunsmuir exit) and more or less down hill. My kind of stroll. Many thanks again sir, and please look us up on your next visit.