“Excellent place to hangout at lesser price”
Review of Victorian Hotel

Victorian Hotel
Ranked #37 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent place to hangout at lesser price”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

While booking Victorian hotel, I have some expectations, but during my stay they exceeded my expectation. The interior of hotel is inspired by Victorian style. All the rooms have wooden flooring and classy furniture. The lobby of hotel features perfect Victorian inspired look. Each and every corner of the hotel is perfectly blended with vintage look.
Rooms are clean with comfortable beds and crispy white linen. Spacious bathroom equipped all the basic necessities, like soap, shampoo, towels and other. Their staff changes towel twice a day. Situated at an excellent location just a few minutes’ walk from restaurants, bars and famous sightseeing. They arrange breakfast for us, which just bonus for us. Nice, attractive and delicious pastries and lots of coffee and toast. The plus point of this hotel is that the staff is prompt, helpful, and friendly and has professional approach towards their work.
Basically clean hygienic and budget hotel to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andrey v
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Andrey V., We're thrilled to have exceeded your expectations and I wish to thank you so very much for your kind words about our crew. I must say that your appreciation for everything "Victorian" warms our hearts. However, it should be noted that we replaced all the phonographs with flat screen TV's. Many thanks again and please hurry back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bellflower, California, USA
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I had never visited Vancouver BC before and decided to take myself there for my birthday. A friend of mine advised me that I should look for a room near Gas Town so I went on trip advisor and started to search. I found the room at this hotel from the reviews on Trip Advisor and thought I would give it a shot. The staff is very friendly and helpful and from the moment you arrive they are kind and willing to help you in any way. I booked a Delux King Room and I was VERY PLEASED with how large and well appointed it was for a hotel of this age. High ceilings, very comfy bed, old world furnishings, and the bathroom was beautiful with a HUGE deep soaking tub. The room was also outfitted with a huge flat screen TV and lots of seating as well.

The hall ways in this hotel are a little rustic but very charming lined with old fashioned furnishings, and there is no elevator so if you have special needs request a ground floor room. The breakfast offered is basic items like toast, fruit, milk, cereal, etc. Its not fancy but if you want a fancy breakfast go out pay for one! I hate when people are offered free food and then complian about it! Actually what they offer is very healthy and what people should be eating anyway.

For the quality of the service and the quality of the rooms this hotel is a great value. Also, you are a three minute walk from the main area in Gas Town, and a 10 minutes brisk walk from the trendy Yale Town area. So this is a great location. If you arrive at night it looks very quiet and bleak, but at daybreak it comes to life and is a good safe area. Another good thing is that they have a gated and secure parking lot. The parking daily charges are minimal and if you rent a car or drive your own car there is no street parking so the parking lot is a great and secure feature. Its a short drive from Stanley Park, Capilano Bridge, and Grouse Mountain so you are in the heart of all of the fun. I would stay here again without question and I feel The Victorian really is a great deal for what they offer!

Room Tip: Ask for a room toward the back of the hotel off of Homer street if possible.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank rodvilencia
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
My oh my Mr. Vilencia, you should moonlight as a travel writer. Thank you so very much for your detailed review. It sounds like you got the best out of your first trip to Vancity, so don't be a stranger. We really look forward to having you back with us very soon.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Room is really beautiful with its Victorian details. Bathroom is very nice and clean but could probably do with a shelf at the sink. Has coffee maker but no complementary bottled water. Can get a little noisy from the public bus that operates until quite late into the night. People walking by can also be rowdy (not sure if it's due to close proximity to DTES). Also no safe to store valuables but it seems to be a norm elsewhere. Breakfast is simple to get you started. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tylermus
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Many thanks for your review Tylermus, With respect to your comments about bottled water, I am a huge fan of our water system in Vancouver and believe we have the best H2O on the planet, so I resist putting bottled water in the rooms. Our tap water is so good I want everyone to try it.
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We booked this hostel for two nights when we arrived in BC. We would liked a good hostel and it was. Nice clean and gentl staff.
It's not very located but after 5 minutes walk we are in mains streets of downtown so it's not a big dill.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pgouret
Thank you for the review Pgouret, were sure glad you enjoyed your stay.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This is our first stay at the Victorian Hotel, but it won't be the last. We booked the Deluxe King and were so pleased with the elegant old-world style of the room. High ceilings, bay windows, with window seats, comfy bed and antique furnishings. The bathroom had a lovely deep tub. The location is terrific - close to rail/sea bus station, Chinatown, great downtown shopping, Canada Place/ Convention Centre. Our stay was topped off by the wonderful Continental breakfast - colourful, fresh fruit salad, Greek-style yoghurt, cereals, the very best croissants I've tasted... and really good coffee. The staff is friendly and very helpful. Don't miss out on this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maureen408
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Thank you so very much Maureen 408. It's a thrill for all of us to receive such a ringing endorsement. We're swept away, please hurry back.
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My friends and I stayed at the Victorian on a recent trip to Vancouver for a concert and were very pleased. Yes, it is an older building without an elevator and there was some street noise, but we booked it because we wanted charm and did not want a cookie cutter chain -- and we were not disappointed. The location is great - a few minutes' walk from the Skytrain station, the Gastown district, and the Rogers Arena as well. Upon check-in, Brian gave us several recommendations for sightseeing and restaurants and was generally helpful and super cheerful during our entire stay. I also enjoyed the map in the lobby with so many pins showing where all their guests had traveled from. Oh, and that breakfast! As a vegetarian, I was delighted to have several options (including yogurt without gelatin!) and I am still thinking about the croissants and jam. I will definitely stay here if I return to Vancouver.

Room Tip: Recommend a private bath if your budget allows.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank purljamber
Hey Foxmophandlemama, I mean Purljamber, it was such a treat to meet with you and your Pearl Jam- fanatic family. You certainly classify as one of the "cool moms' We miss you already, Please don't wait for the next concert to visit us again.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is the second time I have stayed here. and on this second visit it was for two nights. I just read the previous review and was quite amazed. This hotel is in a building that was built around 1896. Lots of old world charm and character. The hallways sort of feel seedy-chic, but the rooms are lovely. High ceilings, antique style furnishings, Wonderful trim on the doors and windows. Modern bathrooms. GREAT king beds and wonderful linens (major plus) -- also fabulous robes. I bought one on my first visit and am buying two more this time! On my second visit, I stayed on the ground floor (which is still high above street leve.) because there is no elevator. Each time I enjoyed the free breakfast of fruit, yogurt, granola and fantastic croissants (really!) available from 7 - 9 am. The staff here are all very friendly and helpful. It is a family owned hotel and feels personal and "homey". It is well situated in the city and you can walk to everything. It has gated parking in the back. And as such, to me it is an incredible value for what you receive for what they charge. An attractive room with elegant touches, King bed, parking plus taxes fro $130. What's not to like? I agree with an earleir review that called it a hidden gem. Totally.
I come to Vancouver a lot (live on an island near by) and this is definitely going to be my home away from home. Note: I am a fussy person. I have to have a great bed. I have to feel comfortable about where I am staying and I travel a lot incidentally. I would say it has a European feel. It is much much nicer than the Beacon Hotel on the Upper West side of Manhattan where I stayed in October for $400 a night. (and no free breakfast there, or robes.)
This place is a true value.

Room Tip: Rooms on Pender street do have traffic noise; but you can get rooms on the opposite side. My fav roo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Georgia108
Brian M, General Manager at Victorian Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
What a delightful review Georgia. Thank you so very much for your kind words. It seems like your discovering us was truly in the cards. We look forward to living up to your high standards. Stay fussy.