“Good location, fairly good price, has some old world charm”

Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel
Ranked #25 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed here for a conference near the Vancouver Convention Centre, and was quite pleased with the proximity to that facility and with the hotel itself. By staying an extra block away from the waterfront (about two and a half instead of one) I saved much money, and don't think I got a lesser hotel. My single king room was what I would call "Marriott standard", which meant a nicely appointed room for the business traveler. Internet in the room was a little pricey, but it was free in the lobby, and an unexpected plus was that by accessing the Internet from the lobby, I was given a code online at signon time that let me return to my room and continue to access the Internet for the remainder of the hour after signon free of charge. That was fine for my purposes.

The staff were quite pleasant, with everyone greeting me whenever I came by, and the service was top notch. This is my first choice if I should ever return for another conference at the Vancouver Convention Centre.

1  Thank AnnArborMiBob
There are newer reviews for Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel

Reviewed 3 March 2012

this was by far, the best Marriott that I've stayed at...but what really impressed me was the carpets! they must have recently replaced the carpets so it was so very nice to walk on almost new carpeting. yes, call me a clean freak... the bed was comfy as usual and the room was nice and good sized. we were on the 26th floor, which had really nice views, but the concierge breakfast ended at 9am, which was too soon for me - hey, it's vacation, no need to get up too early =). the location is very convenient to most everything. with it being Feb and cold and wet and all, we didn't walk very far.

the only thing that was off was the noise level from other rooms... it wasn't bad, just heard some sounds here and there. hotels need to make sure their walls and floors are thick! other than that, it was a wonderful stay!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank spontane0us_famly
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Excellent, right from the front door bellman to the concierge and easy and freindy reception. I have stayed at many of the Marriott properties in Canada and this has to be the best when it comes to customer attention.

2  Thank Marty M
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed here because of a LIving Social Deal. It's a great location, you can walk to anywhere downtown or to Stanley Park if you have any stamina at all. We were on the 8th floor, so the view was mostly of other highrises, but that was nice and we didn't mind not having the higher up view since we had gotten the bargain deal. The room was very nice, very pretty. There was a chair / ottoman, dresser, king size bed that was very comfortable. Very nice coffee service in the room. No fridge or microwave in case that matters to you. One complaint, they charge $15 a night for WiFi, and we just wouldn't pay it, and were inconvenienced by that. I would stay here again, if the price was the same, but I probably wouldn't pay $300 for the room. But that's just me. Except for the wifi, it was a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Up high to get a good view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We had a premium room in this hotel thanks to my husband's company expensing it for a conference. As a premium room, it of course had a lovely view of English Bay, one wall was entirely windows. They thoughtfully included blackout curtains to keep out the ambient light from the city. However, the wall-of-windows made the room very cold, the adjustable thermostat had to be kept at 75 degrees to make the room at all bearable. Also keep in mind there are other skyscrapers right next to the building, be careful when dressing!
Furnishings and cleanliness were top-notch, a kingsized bed, large flatscreen TV, separate bathtub & shower.... but also a six-pack of bottled water at $2 each to drink and a minibar-fridge we dared not open.
The staff were friendly and unusually disinterested in nickel-and-diming, maybe it's a Canadian thing? We left tips for the housekeeper every day, but after a couple days of it not being taken, we had to leave her a note pointing out it was for her. Same with a concierge who insisted on mailing our postcards on his way home, while refusing to accept payment for postage!
For all the luxury and largesse, there were small faults: We had a coffee maker with coffee & tea, but couldn't figure out how to make the tea. The coffee maker depended on disposable trays of coffee inserted instead of a basket, so if you wanted to heat water yo had to open a coffee, pull out the coffee, put it in the maker, then send water thru, just putting the carafe on the plate wouldn't heat the water enough. The armchair with footrest was frankly, grimy & uncomfortable. The clock radio had no sound at all, no matter how we fiddled with it, so we depended on our cellphones' alarms. The wallpaper in the bathroom was starting to peel. The oddly narrow shape of the room left little room for luggage, two medium suitcases. The usual hotel wall thinness also existed, we could hear people carousing in the room next door one night. Tiny in-room safe.
Again, none of the above were egregious, but if the room is listed on the legal doorcard as $1000/night, you expect better. Especially in light of the fact we later stayed in a much much cheaper hotel in Vancouver, with all the same amenities and size!
So this is a lovely hotel, with lovely people, but still not much of a bargain.

Room Tip: If you like warmth, choose a room with fewer windows.
2  Thank Calliope20
Reviewed 28 February 2012

This isnt our regular hotel while in vancouver, which was full ... so we went with priceline offered 75 for a four star amd landed at the marriot. So for the price it was a very good value. Rooms are a bit smaller that our regular vancouver hotel, and location isnt as good. great if your want to be near Coal Harbour. Very good staff and service. Room was very quiet, and clean. Only one noticable poor item was the bar soap ... such a minor thing but odd for a four star hotel .

Very comfy beds and had a great sleep.

We would return if our other one is full.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank ReneLes
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed here for one night with a few of my friends for a night out. The employees at the entrance were very nice. The ones at the front desk, however, seemed very condescending as my friends and I checked-in with our snowboarding gear. The room we got on the 29th floor was amazing, though. Great view, clean, and comfy beds. Overall a good stay, but hated having to check-in/check-out. Front desk staff was condescending, all others were great and friendly. Also, I never received my final bill. It was supposed to be emailed to me... but that was already 2 days ago, luckily I can check my card activities online... I definitely would have rated this a 4 or 5 had it not been for some staff members.

If you plan on staying here, definitely request a room on a higher floor and hope you get a friendlier staff to check you in and out.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends