“Excellent location, OK rooms, poor value for money”

Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel
Ranked #26 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mexico City, Mexico
“Excellent location, OK rooms, poor value for money”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Location
The location is excellent for access to the convention centre, the seaplane terminal and the business district. All are within easy walking distance (under 10 minutes for the most part) or a short taxi ride. Robson street shopping and Coal Harbour area stores and restaurants are a few blocks away. All of this makes the Marriott Pinnacle attractive to groups of convention goers - so calm is not one of the hotel's strong points

Room
Mine was comfortable and efficient, but surprisingly unfashionable for the price. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom is standard for a chain hotel.

Service is spotty: housekeeping varied - on one day there were crumbs left on the desk, on another laundry bags were not replenished automatically. Reception/concierge service was generally less forthcoming with assistance that it ought to have been, and the tone of some of the interactions witnessed between the Front Desk and guests whose first language was not English made me cringe. (To be fair, this phenomenon may not be unique to the Marriott. Despite the multicultural, plurilingual reality, Vancouver's hospitality staffers' impatience with speakers of other languages may be more widespread than the city boosters like to admit. I heard it expressed sharply at the airport arrivals area and at the front desk in one other hotel.)

Guests at this facility are probably overpaying for name recognition and there are many other hotels with lower rates and similar offerings nearby. I will stay elsewhere when next I spend 5 nights in Vancouver.

Room Tip: There is a higher charge for rooms on the upper floors of the hotel. I don't know if the rooms a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Chapul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I just stayed here this weekend. Priceline for $80 a night, so great deal. Staff were friendly and accommodating, and the location was great. I walked everywhere from here. Room was standard Marriott comfortable. I'd probably give it 3.5/4 starts, but had a minor problem. Had been out sightseeing all day and when I got back to my room at 7:30PM the room hadnt been cleaned. I was a little surprised. The staff took care of it promptly when I advised them, but something like this shouldnt be overlooked. Solid property, though.

Room Tip: higher up the better for the best views
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jasoncrh
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This hotel is in a good location being a short ( 7 mins) walk to Gastown . On the way is the landmark "The Lookout" this is worth a visit. The views are great and the combination of mountains , sea , city all mix together and are worth the entrance fee. The hotel is also a short walk to the sea inlet, from here you can see the "float" planes/seaplanes taking off and landing. The rooms are really nice. The service was very good. Some of the rooms have mountain views as well although they do cost more.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We picked this location to be close to all the shopping and tourist stops we had on our trip. The location can't be beat in our eyes. Loved being close to Stanley Park and the water. The concierge lounge was great and had wonderful views of the Olympic Flames and waterfront. It did not have a computer for use though. The workout area was awesome with plenty of equipment and even a shower area. The hot tub, spa and sauna were good. Perhaps maybe a little out dated in terms of what you find in a newer Marriott though. We had drinks one night in the bar and found it to be resonable. Overall a nice getway to Vancouver.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed here for a conference near the Vancouver Convention Centre, and was quite pleased with the proximity to that facility and with the hotel itself. By staying an extra block away from the waterfront (about two and a half instead of one) I saved much money, and don't think I got a lesser hotel. My single king room was what I would call "Marriott standard", which meant a nicely appointed room for the business traveler. Internet in the room was a little pricey, but it was free in the lobby, and an unexpected plus was that by accessing the Internet from the lobby, I was given a code online at signon time that let me return to my room and continue to access the Internet for the remainder of the hour after signon free of charge. That was fine for my purposes.

The staff were quite pleasant, with everyone greeting me whenever I came by, and the service was top notch. This is my first choice if I should ever return for another conference at the Vancouver Convention Centre.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AnnArborMiBob
CA
Reviewed 3 March 2012

this was by far, the best Marriott that I've stayed at...but what really impressed me was the carpets! they must have recently replaced the carpets so it was so very nice to walk on almost new carpeting. yes, call me a clean freak... the bed was comfy as usual and the room was nice and good sized. we were on the 26th floor, which had really nice views, but the concierge breakfast ended at 9am, which was too soon for me - hey, it's vacation, no need to get up too early =). the location is very convenient to most everything. with it being Feb and cold and wet and all, we didn't walk very far.

the only thing that was off was the noise level from other rooms... it wasn't bad, just heard some sounds here and there. hotels need to make sure their walls and floors are thick! other than that, it was a wonderful stay!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank spontane0us_famly
Cobourg
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Excellent, right from the front door bellman to the concierge and easy and freindy reception. I have stayed at many of the Marriott properties in Canada and this has to be the best when it comes to customer attention.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business