“Misleading reviews”
Review of Rosedale on Robson

Rosedale on Robson
Ranked #40 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I read all the reviews on here and thought it looked like a nice place to stay, so I booked us for all 9 nights we were in Vancouver. They gave us a discounted rate for staying so long (I think it was corporate rate) but I realized that didn't include wifi so I called and they comped the internet since we'd be staying so long. When we arrived we were told that only one device was covered for wifi and it would be an additional $15/day per device. My boyfriend does this (networks) for work, and that's the whole reason for the visit. Since I'm staying with him I need to entertain myself while he's at work and I use the internet for that. So we need at least 2 devices, and that's before our tablets and 3rd laptop. We got to the room and the internet was shotty, we had to keep putting in the password. If they are charging $15/day/device, you'd think they'd be able to afford the best of the best, highest speed internet. But after the first day, we discovered this was absolutely not the case when the internet went out. We couldn't log on at all, and when we called the desk they said "maybe it will be fixed tomorrow",, tomorrow came and it was "maybe tonight" but the bf had some coworkers coming in to join him & stay in the same hotel. We all cancelled our reservations and went to Georgian Court (which was great). They were allowing guests to use wired internet at their single kiosk for 15 minutes at a time but the line was full of angry guests...it was not pleasant waiting in line to find a new hotel.
That's not all, the kitchens are from the 50's- completely metal and grimy. Our fridge wasn't working so we had to ask someone to come show us how to turn it on. Being so old it was hard to figure out the little plug in the back controls the temperature.
The beds were hard, but I don't mind that usually. These were bad though. The carpets were gross & grimy and the bathroom was too small for 2 people. There were no full length mirrors and the lighting was bad.
The breakfast was decent at least. Fruit, muffins coffee & tea-continental breakfast. But the exercise room was pitiful. I thought it was a storage room when we arrived, but when I went to use it, yikes. It is on the ground level, with window walls looking out to the driveway where people and taxis come & go. There were a couple of outdated machines, one was unplugged and "out of service" sign was on it.
There were white stains on the curtains (I can only imagine) and what looked like vomit stains on the carpet. This would be an ok place to stay (for less money) if you were going to a game or just wanted to party and were leaving the next day. And didn't have to shower.
The shower curtains are really cheap and suck in while you shower, so you have to push them out or put weights on them. This results in a flood every time you shower and there isn't enough space in the bathroom to hold all the towels you will need to use to mop up.
It feels like everything in this hotel came from a garage sale. There wasn't even any stuffing left in the couch. It's gross, I would never stay here again unless it was free. Even then only maybe.
At least the staff was friendly and accommodating. I almost feel bad leaving such a bad review. The owner should stop being stingy with the money you charge people and splurge on quality furniture, flooring, internet, etc. Stop buying from old estate sales.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded one, or just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank jessica P

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Very shocked at how they treated us. They disregarded the fact that we are paying customers wanting to stay at their hotel and instead treated us very horrible. It is a very dissappointing hotel and I would never recommed it to anyone! I am surprised they stay in buisness with the way they treat their customers.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
RosedaleGM, General Manager at Rosedale on Robson, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you for your recent comments. Obviously we are very concerned about what might have gone wrong. Therefore, I would ask that you contact me directly at jamesm@rosedaleonrobson.com. I would like some more detail to see what can be done with the situation.

Jim Miller

Reviewed 25 February 2012

We shared a two bedroom suite with friends while in town for a wedding. The room was comfortable with a kitchenette and small living room area. We didn't spend much time in the room, so it was suitable for our needs.
The gym is pretty much non-existent as it consisted of two treadmills in a hallway area near reception with somewhat shonky machinery.
Location was good, as it was only a short walk to the shops/mall and close to the Gaslight district.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I spent one night q the Rosedale on Wednesday 22 February. Nice surprise. Hotel is well located in downtown Vancouver. Suite was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. Check in and out was quick and courteous. Concierge allowed me to use his computer when the business computer was not functioning properly. My one night stay was great and I would stay again if back in Vancouver.
Lots of restaurants in the area including Rosie's in the hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure to take advantage of the continental breakfast on the second floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank timbo
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We arrived on a Wednesday and stayed two nights. We had a one bedroom suite for my son and I and were in town to watch the hockey game. Perfect spot to stay with easy walking distance to restaurants and to either of the stadiums (BC Place or GM Place). The parking was easy to get into and out of and the room was adequate for our needs. We were on the 10th floor so it was fairly quiet and folks at the desk were polite and helpful. It isn't a high end place but there wasn't anything that would stop me from using this place again.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1101 and friends stayed in 1110. Both were good. My room had a decent view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We went to Vancouver for a hockey game and stayed at the Rosedale on Robson because of the location to Rogers Arena.
The decor was upscale, beds very comfortable. We had lunch and breakfast in the restaurant food and service were excellent.

I would recommend this property for traveling for business or pleasure to stay there.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank DodieKamloops_BC
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Not terrible but there are nicer places for the same price so why stay here? The rooms are small and tired. Seemed clean enough to me but maybe there are mice in the walls -- I heard something but am not sure what. Anyway, try elsewhere first.

• Stayed: February 2012
RosedaleGM, General Manager at Rosedale on Robson, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Thank you for your comments. We are very surprised with the comment about "critters" in the walls and ceilings. In my 17 years at this site I have never encountered any such nuisance. As a matter of fact we do have a regular pest control procedure and company under contract. As well, they have never mentioned the Hotel Tower as having an issue.

Yours truly: