“Highly recommended!”

Ranked #1 of 54 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Powell River, Canada
“Highly recommended!”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I highly recommend this B&B. The hosts are great, the decor is sumptuous with lots of antiques, the comfort level is fabulous! The breafasts were delicious and quite filling. Attention to details, like homemade baking and notes. You get spoiled! I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Spent only 1 quick day and night at West End Guest house at the end of our trip to BC, and wished we could have stayed longer! Host Evan was very gracious and accommodating, and prepared a wonderful breakfast. Really appreciated all his wonderful restaurant and attraction recommendations. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to all friends and family.

Ottawa
Reviewed 11 March 2012

On a quiet residential street close to all downtown attactions, the owners provide very warm and personalized service.

Room Tip: All rooms are attractive, some a bit small.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We stayed at the West End Guest house in 2010 and my wife still reminds me of our time here. The attention to detail was superb, the breakfasts exquisite and the whole experience really could not be bettered. Although expensive in season, you really will not regret your choice if you stay at the WEGH!

1 Thank J E
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Stayed here based on TA reviews and happy we did. The neighborhood is great for being a tourist as restaurants, Stanley Park, theatres, public transportation are only minutes away. We stayed in a standard king and it was nicely appointed and the sheets were, as another guest said at the breakfast table "like being wrapped in a hug." It's a quiet neighborhood that makes for quiet sleep. The breakfasts were different each morning and delicious - fresh fruit and baked goods, smoothies, various egg dishes - the coffee strong and hot. One guest remarked that her special dietary needs were accommodated with a smile AND remembered(guess that hasn't always been her experience). The house is filled with pictures and all sorts of things that imply a large history but we didn't get to any of that (out the door early - returned late) though the hosts are more than helpful with any information you might need. If nothing else we figured that the "lost houses of West End" mural that was in our bathroom said a great deal about the past. We thank our hosts for a wonderful first time trip to Vancouver and we will return!

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I never feel quite so civilized as I do when I come to stay at the West End Guest House. My wife and I have been a regular guests of Evan's over the past 20 years (well, almost 20 years now), and it's always a great pleasure to be staying in a home which is in itself one of the highlights of the trip. All of the rooms are lovely (and I've stayed in all of them!), the food is always excellent, and if you want to take a break from shopping or sightseeing, it's nice to just sit by the fire in the parlour, reading the paper and sharing a pot of tea. (And it's only at the WEGH I ever indulge in aperitifs before going out to dinner.)

Besides being an exemplary host on our visits, Evan has also been an invaluable source for tips on home renovations (we used to own a Victoria-era house), bedding and mattresses (we're always asking since his mattresses and feather beds are very comfortable) and even the pros and cons of eye-laser surgery (my wife followed Evan's lead and had the procedure done). And of course he knows the usual things about where to eat and visit and all that.

Even purely from a price perspective, in my opinion it's an excellent value compared to any of the downtown hotels, especially considering the gourmet breakfast.

And in regards to the breakfast: it's worth noting that my wife and are somewhat restricted in what we eat, but it's never a problem for Evan and his staff, and they are always happy to accommodate us, and the results are always delicious.

I won't repeat every detail about the service and hospitality and amenities that you will experience at this jewel of a B&B, though I can say that I did read through many of the reviews (all of them excellent - I didn't see any bad ones anyway) and everything that was said was true! I've stayed at the WEGH probably 50 times (I used to stay here when I'd be on business trips to Vancouver) and every visit has been a great pleasure, and I have nothing but good memories of the time I've spent there.

Room Tip: I've stayed in all of the rooms and I think they're all excellent. The "cozy double&quo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Our two-night visit to the West End Guest House amounted to to the most enjoyable, entirely perfect lodgings I have had the pleasure of staying in anywhere. The proprietors, Evan and Ron, put a great deal of thought into designing a B&B that caters to your every need and comfort, and it clearly shows. From the pristine place settings at the breakfast table and the fresh baked goods available at all hours of the day, to the bottle of water in your room and the plush bed, every detail is attended to. It makes the West End Guest House feel like a truly luxurious yet unpretentious second home. The beautiful old Victorian home (mansion?!) has been updated with new bathrooms, flat-screen TV's, and mini "fireplaces" in each room. There is a downstairs DVD library with all sorts of great movies for borrowing.

The location is fantastic, just a block off of the bustling Robson Street within easy walking distance of a multitude of fantastic restaurants and shopping, yet set far enough off the main drag that it is very quiet at night.

The breakfast here is served at the table, in several mouth-watering courses. On the morning we were able to make it to breakfast, we enjoyed fresh baked muffins, fruit with yogurt, fresh juice, coffee, and a smoothie, and a main course of either vegetarian or prosciutto frittata. We also enjoyed our conversation with other guests over breakfast.

Unlike most hotels in the area, West End Guest House offers free off-street parking for guests. Combined with the delicious hot breakfast and all the little "extras," West End Guest House is worth every penny. I can't imagine staying anywhere else next time I'm in Vancouver.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple