“Bait and Switch?”

Ranked #20 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
“Bait and Switch?”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We live in this city and enjoy Granville Island. When a fire forced us out of our home, I called the Granville Island Hotel and asked their rate for one night. It was evening and the fellow at the desk said he "could do $149". We took the room, and the next morning I called down to the desk and asked if we could stay in this room another night at the same rate. The answer was yes. When we checked out we signed the credit card bill and were off. However, when we got home,I looked at the bill and realized we were overcharged. $169 and $179. I called to straighten this out and spoke to Kim, the manager on duty. We went back and forth for a while, but I gave in when she told me "Impossible. We have no rate ever of $149". I swallowed the new rate and felt she thought I was trying to pull a fast one. I was so upset with the fire, maybe I had made the mistake.
We could still not return to our home and since the location was best for us, we called to book in for a few more nights. The woman at the desk easily offered a room for $149 the first night, and a bit higher subsequent nights. I took this but had her email the confirmation this time.
My mind was on dealing with the restoration of our home , not the rate of this hotel, so I let this go at the time. When I received an email asking me to write a review for Trip Advisor, I phoned the gal and told her why I was unhappy before i wrote this. Christine sympathized but did not adjust the rate. She said she would send us a free dinner coupon to make up for our troubles. I declined, saying that was not the reason I had phoned. She insisted she attempt to make it up to us. Never received the dinner coupon!
Had this not happened, my review would say nice hotel, but beware there are huge differences in the rooms here. There are some that look down on huge vats, which I gather produce beer, and the hum of these kept me up all one night. One night our room was spacious, another room was quite cramped. If you must book here, get your rate emailed to you to ensure you check out with the same rate. There are too many wonderful hotels in Vancouver to choose this one.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mamatross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Korean first
Montreal
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Arrived to an over-heated tiny room that was dark. No place to put carry on luggage so left it on 2nd bed. View of a deck for ventilation shafts. Bathroom appeared clean, modern, renovated. But how much time could I spend in the loo? Breakfast was memorably disappointing. Couldn't find the shrimp in my omellette. Pieces smaller than ants were under the lettuce. None in the omellete. Had to pay 3$ on top of the 17$ for toast with the omellette. Lunch was quite good, with a friendly efficient waiter compared to the ornery one who "served" breakfast. No offer of extra coffee refill, water, etc. In brief, this "boutique" hotel makes rooms at a Holiday Inn Select or Delta look like a 5* palace. Avoid this place, especially if you want to appreciate this beautiful city.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank thetraveldoc
gihotel, Director of Sales at Granville Island Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Thank you very much for taking time to comment on your hotel stay. I am disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay.
As Vancouver has reached the very cold temperature of -5 this week, we did turn the heat up in the rooms as we were afraid guests would be cold upon arrival. Each room has its own heat control panel so guests can adjust the temperature to their own comfort level.

All of our rooms offer a selection of different views and each room varies in size. For guests looking for larger rooms with views, we offer Superior and Executive Suites. All rooms are also equipped with a luggage rack for guest’s convenience.

The omelet which the guest refers to is a Malay Shrimp Omelet - this omelet comes with winter green and a fried jasmine rice cake instead of toast. Guest may choose to substitute the rice cake for toast for no charge or a side order of toast can also be ordered.

We do appreciate guests taking the time to comment on their hotel experience as it gives us an opportunity to improve and learn. Thank you again for your feedback.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 January 2012

After a very long direct flight from NZ and collecting a rental car, it was a delight to be greeted at the hotel by delightful staff. It was new years eve and we enjoyed the "hotel offered" celebrations, albeit we were rather tired from traveling. We stayed 3 nights before heading off skiing, and made sure we booked in again for our final night before flying home to NZ, would definitely recommend and stay again, fantastic location and the harbor location outstanding.

Room Tip: Some rooms bigger than others, views vary, ask when checking in
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
BC, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We spent two nights here and were not dissapointed. Friendly, clean, quiet...what more can you ask for? Right in the heart of Granville Island to make it really easy to explore. Great views of False Creek. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I have been staying at this hotel on a regular basis for a number of years and continue to really enjoy the experience. The location, for me, is ideal, the reception very friendly and efficient and the rooms great value for the price. As I live in the UK I almost regard the hotel as my second home!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2012

A clean, comfortable, convenient and scenic place to stay for visitors to Vancouver. Hop on a nearby ferry to explore downtown, the West End, Yaletown or Chinatown. Visit all the amenities on Granville island and enjoy a meal at the hotel restaurant Dockside - especially on the waterside plaza in the summer! Even though we're local, we've stayed here a few times when we've turned our place over to out-of-town family.

Room Tip: Request a room on the north or east for the best views.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Surrey, BC
Reviewed 12 January 2012

One of my favourite weekend retreats. The hotel is located on Granville Island in the heart of Vancouver. Granville Island is a shoppers bazaar by day for gifts, clothing, groceries, baked goods, quick snacks, sophisticated dining, aboriginal art and more and also popular among locals and tourists alike. Being on the water, there is never a lack of things to do or see. At night there is live theatre and great dining both on the island as well as a short drive or cab ride away. The evenings are quiet and perfect for a good nights sleep.
Living in the 'burbs' of Vancouver, my wife and I enjoy staying at the Granville Island Hotel as our home away from home. It allows us to enjoy the Vancouver night life without the drive back home in the early morning hours. We find the hotel rooms well appointed and comfortable; the staff friendly and accomodating.
The dining room in the hotel is the Dockside Restaurant which offers a fine menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. On the weekend, we especially enjoy items on the brunch menu.
We have on occasion had many out of town guests attend a celebration or reunion and have not hesitated to recommend the Granville Island Hotel for their stay in Vancouver.
The Granville Island Hotel continues to be one of our favourites.

Room Tip: Get a room with a water view.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple