“Granville Island Hotel overnighter”

Granville Island Hotel
Ranked #20 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Sudden Valley, Washington, United States
“Granville Island Hotel overnighter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

First, I need to mention how helpful the folks at the front desk were. They know their facility well and strive to make their guests comfortable. My feeling was that they would never make me feel as though any question I asked were silly. In addition, when my family and I arrived early, they gave us a parking pass well before check-in time. It's those kinds of perks which make people decide to return.

My room - 316. Oh, my gosh. That view is killer, and with two decks with which to view it! I wish that there were a way to turn off the outside lights, however, so that I could leave the curtains open at night to catch the lights from the buildings across False Creek. I will totally ask for that room again.

Go to the adjoining restaurant - Docksider - for at least one meal. Awesome food, service and view!

Room Tip: Go for a room with a view! Balcony rooms, especially along False Creek, are well worth the additiona...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Korean first
Suwanee, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

The hotel was excellent - stayed in the penthouse room 401. Price was reasonable for the size of the rooms. Nice views and very quiet! Good service at front desk and hotel staff were courteous.
Celebrated our engagement and manager provided a bottle of wine and glasses...complementary

Only one suggestion - payed $12 for parking on the bill and was not able to find a place to park!

Room Tip: The hotel is in a quiet area of the island and is nice but "off the beaten track"
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

One of the best places I have ever stayed. Sales Manager Christine was wonderful to deal with, and very accomodating in helping us put together a stay package with them.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel for my boyfriends birthday and I purchase a coupon from WagJag. It was an absolutely fantastic experience! Upon check-in we received maps of Vancouver and Granville Island and the staff suggested where to go and spend the nice sunny day. All great places! We had lunch and breakfast the next day at the Dockside restaurant and it was delicious! Great service. Our room was spacious and very clean with a nice new tv and great view! After I informed the staff that it was for a birthday they brought a lovely bottle of red wine to our room with nice glasses. It was a wonderful time and I would highly recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

We live in this city and enjoy Granville Island. When a fire forced us out of our home, I called the Granville Island Hotel and asked their rate for one night. It was evening and the fellow at the desk said he "could do $149". We took the room, and the next morning I called down to the desk and asked if we could stay in this room another night at the same rate. The answer was yes. When we checked out we signed the credit card bill and were off. However, when we got home,I looked at the bill and realized we were overcharged. $169 and $179. I called to straighten this out and spoke to Kim, the manager on duty. We went back and forth for a while, but I gave in when she told me "Impossible. We have no rate ever of $149". I swallowed the new rate and felt she thought I was trying to pull a fast one. I was so upset with the fire, maybe I had made the mistake.
We could still not return to our home and since the location was best for us, we called to book in for a few more nights. The woman at the desk easily offered a room for $149 the first night, and a bit higher subsequent nights. I took this but had her email the confirmation this time.
My mind was on dealing with the restoration of our home , not the rate of this hotel, so I let this go at the time. When I received an email asking me to write a review for Trip Advisor, I phoned the gal and told her why I was unhappy before i wrote this. Christine sympathized but did not adjust the rate. She said she would send us a free dinner coupon to make up for our troubles. I declined, saying that was not the reason I had phoned. She insisted she attempt to make it up to us. Never received the dinner coupon!
Had this not happened, my review would say nice hotel, but beware there are huge differences in the rooms here. There are some that look down on huge vats, which I gather produce beer, and the hum of these kept me up all one night. One night our room was spacious, another room was quite cramped. If you must book here, get your rate emailed to you to ensure you check out with the same rate. There are too many wonderful hotels in Vancouver to choose this one.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mamatross
Montreal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

Arrived to an over-heated tiny room that was dark. No place to put carry on luggage so left it on 2nd bed. View of a deck for ventilation shafts. Bathroom appeared clean, modern, renovated. But how much time could I spend in the loo? Breakfast was memorably disappointing. Couldn't find the shrimp in my omellette. Pieces smaller than ants were under the lettuce. None in the omellete. Had to pay 3$ on top of the 17$ for toast with the omellette. Lunch was quite good, with a friendly efficient waiter compared to the ornery one who "served" breakfast. No offer of extra coffee refill, water, etc. In brief, this "boutique" hotel makes rooms at a Holiday Inn Select or Delta look like a 5* palace. Avoid this place, especially if you want to appreciate this beautiful city.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank thetraveldoc
gihotel, Director of Sales at Granville Island Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Thank you very much for taking time to comment on your hotel stay. I am disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay.
As Vancouver has reached the very cold temperature of -5 this week, we did turn the heat up in the rooms as we were afraid guests would be cold upon arrival. Each room has its own heat control panel so guests can adjust the temperature to their own comfort level.

All of our rooms offer a selection of different views and each room varies in size. For guests looking for larger rooms with views, we offer Superior and Executive Suites. All rooms are also equipped with a luggage rack for guest’s convenience.

The omelet which the guest refers to is a Malay Shrimp Omelet - this omelet comes with winter green and a fried jasmine rice cake instead of toast. Guest may choose to substitute the rice cake for toast for no charge or a side order of toast can also be ordered.

We do appreciate guests taking the time to comment on their hotel experience as it gives us an opportunity to improve and learn. Thank you again for your feedback.
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

After a very long direct flight from NZ and collecting a rental car, it was a delight to be greeted at the hotel by delightful staff. It was new years eve and we enjoyed the "hotel offered" celebrations, albeit we were rather tired from traveling. We stayed 3 nights before heading off skiing, and made sure we booked in again for our final night before flying home to NZ, would definitely recommend and stay again, fantastic location and the harbor location outstanding.

Room Tip: Some rooms bigger than others, views vary, ask when checking in
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family