“not bo be recommended”

Ranked #31 of 54 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Hamburg, Germany
“not bo be recommended”
Reviewed 25 August 2010

Maple Beach B&B is a place we cannot recommend. The hosts were polite but we did not experience them as helpful or friendly. The breakfast was extremely plain, something we had not come across in any B&B in Canada before. Our room was the Paty-O-Suite. This means two rooms with ensuite bath in the basement with very low ceilings (brushing your hair you knocked on the ceiling), one tiny window and part of the furniture which left there because perhaps there was no room for it elsewhere. We only stayed on because of the one advantage it has and that is the location. It is close to Kitsilano Beach and there are some eateries and a bus stop nearby.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarlisIrmgard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Amherst, MA
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights and there are clear pluses and minuses to the experience at Maple Beach.

+ great location; 1 block from bus stop, walking distance to numerous shops, restaurants, cafes, beach, pool
+ affordable room, although it was not exactly what I expected - see below.
+ okay breakfast; food was solid; frittata one morning with toast and fruit; pancakes another day
+ hosts were nice, especially Patricia (who interacts mostly with guests). Kim is quieter but polite.
+ free wireless internet; each room is lockable and you get a key.

Arrival is a bit tricky because the owners are not always around so you should coordinate ahead of time with them. We got the driveway parking spot so that was good (beware of the fig tree sap drippings).

I understand that this b&b offers a budget experience, but I was disappointed in the room and the condition of the premises. Basically, the home needs some improvements (not modernizing per se; more like painting and fixing drywall in bath; retiling shower, etc). I understand it is an old house and it has charm (beautiful wood stairwell; cute exterior, nice front garden), but as an owner of a 100 year old house myself, I expect that there will be fixes that need to be made and I wish the owners would do so. Both the bath and bedroom (en suite) were clean, which I appreciated, but my headboard was not attached to the bed and the mattress and pillows were not at all comfortable. My dresser drawers were broken. I think Kim (the owner) mentions this being a "budget traveller" b&b in another posting, but I did not expect the condition of the premises to be what they were. For this reason, I would not stay here again...but if you get a good rate and are okay with what you'll get, then it might be the place for you.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Southampton
Reviewed 10 May 2010

We stayed at the Maple Beach B&B on a short break to Vancouver. Our hosts, Kim and Patricia were BOTH welcoming and helpful. During our 3 day stay, we had 3 different breakfasts, all of which were home-cooked, well presented and tasty. We also had the pancakes and, even with our hearty appetites, are baffled by another reviewer's description of them as "small". Coffee was refilled as needed too. Over the years, we have stayed in a variety of Vancouver B&Bs, some expensive and "upmarket", and others across the board. This time, we had a limited budget and looked for something. still in Kits, that offered good value for money. Maple Beach definitely did, and we would certainly stay there again. Our room was clean and spacious, and we had the hall bathroom (however some of the rooms do have en suites) which was clean and more in keeping with the age of the house than the modernised ensuite bathrooms. The bath linen is changed every couple of days and/or upon request (an environmentally friendly policy with which surely most reasonable people would agree?). The hosts have good local knowledge and were accessible without being an overbearing presence. Once, in another Vancouver B&B we seemed to be constantly, tediously and unnecessarily watched over by our hosts in a way that destroyed the privacy needed to relax when on holiday! There was no such oppressive atmosphere here, but the house is quietly and efficiently run and I felt secure on the premises. There is some street noise from along the road (near, but not on, a busy route) and my only quibble is that as a very light sleeper I would have welcomed heavier curtains to keep out the light. The location is excellent, and I would recommend the Maple Beach to travellers who want a comfortable, safe base from which to explore the city: it is a B&B not a rental suite, so not designed for hanging around during the day. It is also a family home thus not suitable for the "party animal", we and our fellow guests were quite mellow types and I thought the place offered great value for money.

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank CHSouthampton
Victoria, BC
Reviewed 24 November 2009

I had to wait 30 minutes outside in pouring rain because they were late letting me in on arrival!! They don't live there. Heat was switched off at 9 pm until 4 pm - I was freezing cold and had to sleep in my clothes. Dirty tablecloth, unfriendly and very nonchalant service. Not a full breakfast - 3 small pancakes on a cold plate. No fan in bathroom, window catch is broken, whole place needs a good coat of paint. Never again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Rosie477

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Calgary
Reviewed 3 November 2009

- unfriendly host
- dated furniture, surprised not to see or get bed bugs
- breakfast was a wee piece of cantaloupe, an egg with bits of cheese spread over it, and 2 pieces of toast - not what to expect for $80 a night!
- whole place needs to be updated and some money actually spent on it
- this place takes the name "bed and breakfast" literally - that's all you'll get.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Harry089
UK
Reviewed 10 September 2009

We had an excellent time at this B&B, which offered a fabolous location being close to shops, restaurants, bars, beach, etc..etc...Breakfast was lovely and nice attentions from host.
Well recommended.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Lombardia
Reviewed 9 September 2009

The B&B on itself it's not bad, but we had a very tiny room on the last floor under the roof which we didn't aspect looking at the picture on their web site. We would have preferred to be informed when they confirmed our reservation in order for us to decide to look for something else or not. We had the feeling of being caught in trap, because when you have few days to spend in a foreign city there is not much time to go around to search for an alternative. Our suggestion is to make clear in your reservation that you don't want the rooms under the roof.
Gabi from Italy