“UNPLEASANT & MISLEADING”

Ranked #14 of 54 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Montreal, Quebec
“UNPLEASANT & MISLEADING”
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Staying at this guest house was an unpleasant experience right from the beginning.

As soon as I stepped in the door I was asked for my credit card--no greeting; the woman did not even give me her name (it was not the manager). Not exactly the warm hospitality promised on their website: "We are very proud of our warm hospitality with friendly and helpful staff always at hand."

I had e-mailed the manager a few days prior to my departure that I would be getting in early, but when I arrived at noon my room was still not ready despite check-out being at 11am. The previous guest had not yet checked out and was not even around. I was not given an apology and was asked to wait an hour (again, not very helpful, especially since check-in is supposed to be at noon) even though I was exhausted from my flight. I was not feeling well and just wanted to lie down. After I insisted, two women went up to move out the person's belongings and clean the room (don't know how much they could clean in 10 minutes).

I then had to lug my suitcase up the long staircase to the second floor. As soon as I lay down, however, the jackhammers started next door, so I got very little rest. I would wake up to jackhammers and heavy construction each morning around 7:30 (a new building is being constructed right next door). Not a pleasant beginning to the day. For that reason alone I would have chosen another accommodation, but there was no mention of the construction on Windsor House's website when I was researching Vancouver B&Bs in late July.

The bed was extremely uncomfortable as well, and the sheets, as far as I could tell, were not changed the entire 4 days I stayed. The one window in my room only opened a crack so they had a small fan in there. Good thing because the room had a musty odor.

The bathroom did not seem to be cleaned either as evidenced by the hairs on the floor and in the bathtub (I shared with one other room).

Breakfast was no more than adequate with terrible coffee and sparse fruit. The woman doing the breakfast never said good-morning to me and was generally unfriendly. I decided to skip the breakfast the last day and go to Whole Foods 10 minutes away where I could eat well and relax.

This accommodation deceptively advertises itself. It's definitely not a "grand Victorian manor." It's an old house with musty smells and old furniture. Also misleading was the mention of a guest computer and phone located downstairs in the living room. Both the free computer and phone were old and did not work well. The computer even broke down one day. There was a cordless phone you could take with you if you wanted to have a private conversation upstairs, but its battery life was very short (5 minutes or so).

The brochure they have at the B&B says it's 10 mins to Stanley Park--not true; 5 mins to Granville Island--not true; one block to major transportation--not true. It's about 3 blocks to the Sky Train, which goes to the airport or to downtown. It took me about 30 mins to get to Stanley Park by public transportation. I don't even think it would be 10 mins by car.

I've stayed in quite a few affordable B&Bs in Canada and the U.S. where my husband and I were treated excellently and ate and slept very well. This B&B, however, falls far short of the quality service and comfort that we've come to expect from a B&B.

Room Tip: Diana room: cramped, uncomfortable bed, faulty window
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank catpeople97
bachelorbroad, Manager at Windsor Guest House, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
The management and staff working at the Windsor Guest House, have over 30 years of collective experience in the hospitality trade, and we have never run into a more unpleasant guest.

It is true that there are renovations taking place next door, which we have no control over, and we have spoken to the developer and city hall about the noise but have not been able to come to an agreement with either party. So we have dropped our normal seasonal rates to compensate our guests for the early "wake up call" and will continue to so until the construction is complete.
As for the multitude of other complaints she raised, I will not offer a comment except to say this guest managed to stay with us for four days!! so it can't have been that terrible.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here a few weeks ago, plus our son, in two adjoining rooms with a shared bathroom. It's an old, characterful property, so everything is a bit old fashioned, but very clean. There's parking space off road, where we left our vehicle, and just used public transport (bus and sky train) which were only a few minutes walk away, through quiet residential streets. Lots of restaurants locally to choose from. The cooked breakfasts were great and Lesley, the owner, very helpful indeed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank carrie_trounce
bachelorbroad, Manager at Windsor Guest House, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
It is always wonderful to hear from our departing guests, especially when they say nice things about our houses and staff.
Our heritage neighbourhood has been undergoing some major changes, with the three houses next door to us being completely refurbished, we have to admit we have had the most understanding guests putting up with usual inconveniences caused by the construction, without a complaint.

My staff look forward to your return, and we have great hope the view will be much improved with all the lovely new buildings.
Sincerely
Leslie
Leslie
Terrace, BC Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I stayed at the Windsor for 11 nights, leaving on Aug. 04. I was by myself for the first four nights before my wife joined me for the remainder. I won't go into a description of the place as many earlier reviews have adequately done so but, suffice to say, we will be back. We had a marvelous time and were treated almost like family. The rooms are relatively small but extremely cozy and the breakfast was plentiful and healthy.......far better than most B&B's. Leslie, the hostess/manager, has a wealth of local knowledge and goes out of her way to ensure your stay is as enjoyable and comfortable as possible. We found that staying here was much like being a houseguest at a friend's and we are looking forward to returning in the not too distant future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RicTerrace_BCCanada
Timisoara, Romania
Reviewed 26 July 2011

This B&B was great: good price, good location, cozy rooms, cute porch, nice neighbourhood, wireless network and a great breakfast. I really enjoyed my stay and if I ever go back to Vancouver, I will stay in the Winsdor Guest House again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Joana85
Sylvan Lake, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2011

This is a well located B&B with very friendly and helpful staff. It is near the Broadway-Hal Skytrain station which has a direct link to the airport as well as down town. It is walking distance from Granville Island, and you can catch a bus directly to teh University of BC.

We stayed in a cheaper room on the 3rd floor. You have to carry your bags up the stairs as there is no elevator. The bathroom is shared but clean (though I was concerned that they did not clean the bathroom on the second day we stayed there).

Breakfast is good. Outstandng value for the money you pay.
HIghly recommended

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Businessaway
Brookfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 July 2011

The rooms were nice, mine had a private bathroom. The breakfasts were great. They offer eggs, waffles, pancakes, cereal, and fruit. Really don't have any complaints. The house is located down the road from city hall which is a quick 5 min walk to the train station. Restaurants, grocery store, and bars are all a short walk away. Considering the price this hotel is a steal if your looking to get away with your significant other, the neighborhood is quaint and your still close to the city. Thumbs up!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Dan717
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We stayed in this guest house for for nights in May and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The rooms are great, the location ( a beautiful neighborhood) close to downtown and the airport and best of all the host is awesome. If you're planning a visit to Vancouver this is the place to go to. Plus, the rates are good.

• Stayed May 2011