“A Home Away from Home but with a bit more Luxury!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairmont Hotel Vancouver

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #31 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Ottawa
“A Home Away from Home but with a bit more Luxury!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We are regulars at the Hotel Vancouver and find that all the staff are helpful and generous with their time. The Fairmont Gold Staff are the very BEST and will do whatever you need to ensure your stay is perfect. You can be welcomed by Darren, Lauren, Ashley, Kiki, Wilson and Rejean among others that round out that staff. And of course, Mavis, who warms your heart and brings you a joy of really being home. So, from the Doorman who welcome you, to the lounge staff who serve you, to the housekeeping staff who make sure your room is fresh and welcoming and to the concierge and Gold Staff that smile and makes sure that you enjoy every bit of Vancouver....we thank them all....You just cannot go wrong with this hotel....

Room Tip: On the Gold Floor every room offers something different. We often book a larger room with a bit of a...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

We were visiting from Australia, and had never stayed at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver before. The whole hotel experience was memorable. We especially appreciated the help of the concierge staff on the ground floor and the 9th floor; and also a staff member called Melany, working on the President's Club desk, was extremely helpful when we checked in.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank David A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Great hotel, great location. Close to good shopping areas and not far from the bay.
We stayed on the Gold Floor which has it's own breakfast area and private lounge with great views to enjoy down towards the bay.
All the staff were very helpful and knowledgeable and nothing was too much trouble.
The welcome dog was very very friendly, if a bit of a surprise when he sat down next to my table at first breakfast. Bought a nice friendly relaxed feel.
Breakfast food was excellent and lots of it (by English standards).
Room was lovely and clean, spacious with good quality furniture. Very large and comfortable bed.
Certain lifts go straight to the Gold Floor when pressed which was a little embarrassing the first time as others watched as it by-passed their floor, but quite nice after that.
Not the cheapest hotel in Vancouver but like other Canadian Fairmonts we've stayed in, worth that bit extra especially for that special occassion.
A real treat.

Room Tip: Think about upgrading to the Gold Floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Staying a week at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver on Georgia Street has been one of the best experiences for me....I've traveled to all continents including Antarctica, and this hotel and the staff have been the best place to stay with the kindest, most professional staff.

Special thanks to Neil at the Concerierge Desk who happily changed my day trip excursions--he told me I was flexible, but it was his ease of changing as my plans changed....he was more than helpful--he was a friend.

The best of the best? Tyler Smolen--a great conversationalist and so proud of the Fairmont Company, his job, his future here. I had a horrible situation---major storms and tornadoes had devastated my hometown in Texas and I could not reach my family. My aunt's home was destroyed and she lost her beloved dogs....Tyler helped cheer me up in our conversation--oddly I am from Tyler, Texas, and a Fairmont employee named Tyler was a Godsend. We spoke of travel, and fun topics and he helped me through a personal anxiety that I could not do anything about--over 1500 miles from home and this kind young man gave me hope and made me a better person for meeting him.

Also, Paul Dixon with In Room Dining was the highlight of the day. I only met him over the phone and he made sure I was cared for in top notch fashion--with his amazing voice and professionalism--ordering room service was never better.

The guest attendents/housekeeping staff was wonderful and always asked if there was anything else I needed.

As a person with a disability (prosthetic leg), I was helped when I needed it; respected with every request and offered help and friendship when I needed it most. It was as if I was staying with friends who sincerely cared about me. I love this hotel. I am here for a professional conference on fundraising; but Fairmont Vancouver is the expert in FRIENDraising....I am also a writer and writing two stories on travel; one specifically about travel from the US to Vancouver....YOUR hotel will be my one and only recommendation for every traveler to stay.

Special thanks to the staff--the manager of the hotel deserves special thanks and recognition--his leadership is evident in every employee contact....I have stayed in hotels around the globe but never as positive an experience as Fairmont Hotel Vancouver.

Room Tip: I had a perfect corner room on 11th floor....great view of the sunshine, the rain, the sunshine, the...
1 Thank TxSig
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Neil Maclean was amazing. He answered each of my five questions in succession including where to get a Cowichan sweater. He not only recommended the store that sells the authentic Cowichan's, he actually called up the store to see if they had any in stock and check the price. Neil was also helpful in recommending great restaurants in the area, suggesting places to rent a bike (specifically through the Fairmount President's Club which is free), info about storing bags at the reception during checkout, and the real lowdown on East Hastings. Wish I had asked him stuff earlier, he probably could have recommended some good bars and cafes in the area as well as other local Vancouver intell.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jonathan G
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Jonathan G,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay and for your glowing comments for our concierge team. I am lucky to have a team of such wonderful hospitality professionals, such as Mr. Maclean. They truly embody our service promise on a daily basis.
I will be sure to share your comments and my thanks with him.

Kind regards,

Andre Zotoff
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

I enjoy staying at the Hotel Vancouver when in Vancouver for business. The hotel is centrally located and very close to many dining options so there is no need to feel confined to just the hotel food. As an older hotel, its bathrooms are probably the most disappointing for travellers used to larger, more modern bathrooms. However, the rooms are clean and comfortable, and if you enjoy a cup of tea before bedtime, it is great to have the use of a tea kettle instead of a coffee maker to boil water. I've found the staff to be friendly and accommodating of special requests.

It is easy for anyone to sign up for the president's club and get free internet and your 'preferences' (e.g. fridge) remembered for future visits.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Travellingwhenwecan
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Spur of the moment trip led us to this wonderful hotel. Beautiful hotel with lots of personality. Stayed on the gold floor and worth every penny. Concierge made us feel welcome from the moment we stepped off of the elevator. In any newer design hotel the size of room we were assigned would have been considered a suite. Pillow menu made a good night's sleep possible. The hotel has so much personality that it was just fun to wander around, look at the architecture and think about it's history. The location to almost everything was within walking distance. We walked to Canada place and the next day walked to Granville Island. Shopping every direction.

Room Tip: The gold floor gave us great value and made us feel welcome. We had a corner room which gave us win...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family