All reviews terminal city club cruise terminal canada place continental breakfast great location fitness club boiled eggs yogurt waterfront station small kitchenette pre cruise two blocks indoor pool room service alaskan cruise gas town city view
Reviewed January 27, 2019

I was so looking forward to my stay at the stately Auberge Hotel, my second time in Vancouver. But when we saw that they were renovating and hadn't warned us in advance, it was a letdown. The hallways were scaled down to grey construction zones, and very few signs assisted the labarynth-averse, making my morning trips to the breakfast room and back (you had to take the stairs down and back up again for this amenity, which was also the ice-machine location) more daunting than I wanted, first thing in the morning. I was very much looking forward to using the gym, which is nicely equipped with locker rooms that include steam room and sauna. Alas, after my workout I went to my locker to get my shampoo and change of clothes and couldn't open it with my combination. I have experienced this type of locker before in a luxury spa and was dismayed to see it again; locks that are this hard to program correctly so you can easily reopen them are simply an unfortunate choice for a place that ostensibly intends for you to relax because they are Frustrating with a capital f! I asked the front desk clerk, who was male, to help me open the locker, but since he couldn't go inside the Women's locker room he could only show me on a model the steps he had shown me before. But I was truly too enervated at that point to try to relearn the procedure, and simply opted out of the steam and shower I had been anticipating.
This is where the situation got ugly. I went back up to my room to take a shower, and the shower handle came off in my hand. When I finally got it working with the assistance of a hotel staff member (one I had previously asked directions of while roaming the unlabeled hallways), the water temperature did not reach a level of hotness that could be considered soothing. I did get clean, it wasn't freezing or anything, but it made a so far less-than-pleasant experience that much the more underwhelming. The televisions in our suite did not go on until my husband spent some time figuring out that their main control boxes were turned off. And my room key deactivated several times. So while I do look forward to the future of the hotel being much improved from its past, I thought it might be helpful to point out these particularly annoying experiences to them in the present. In lieu of a comment card, which we asked for but they did not have, I therefore submit this commentary.

Reviewed December 30, 2018

The hotel is in the terminal city office building and shares amenities with corporate offices instead of having their own. The hotel reservation gave no information about where to park. We couldn't see anything marled near it either. We called and they asked us to park outside to drop off luggage...except they don't have a dedicated location for drop-off and all the curbside parking spots on that block were occupied. So i had to drive around for a while to figure out parking, with kids and luggage in tow. Next, we arrived on 24th december and were told right off the bat that the 3 nights we were staying there were the 3 nights that the pool access was closed. It turned out this is because they do NOT own the amenities but hare it with the building, so when the corporate offices are closed on statutory holidays, the access to pool and gym also goes. Seems to me that if you are running a hotel and are charging clients an arm and a leg to stay around xmas, you should figure out a deal for providing amenities on those dates. I called at least 4 hotels in the neighborhood in the same price range, and they all had pools (of their own!!!) that we could use. The room we got had a good view but seemed dated. we hd a king bed and a pull out sofa for the kids. The pull out sofa's bedding was sparse and we could feel the springs. Next morning, the breakfast was sparse. It was basically bread, muffins, a toaster, tea/coffee. The "hot" part was packets of oats!!! They had a fancy breakfast box you could take with organic granola bars, coconut bites, etc....but try feeding that to kids.

The only reason i gave them 2 stars instead of 1 is because of the friendly and helpful front desk staff (Jessica). I explained to the supervisor that this was not going to work for us and that we were going to cancel and move elsewhere (we moved to the pinnacle), and she was very helpful and cooperative about it. Don't got here if you have kids. If you just need to stay in a central location and go for a meeting, then this is ok.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
AubergeManager, Manager at Auberge Vancouver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2019

Dear portlander123,

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you and your family experienced during your stay with us last month. We understand how challenging it can be for guests to determine where to park; for that very reason, on our hotel website, there are very specific instructions as well as a video explaining how to park as well as the exact location of the underground parking facility. As well, our website also states when the fitness facility and swimming pool will experience closures. You were probably made aware that the hotel is undergoing an extreme makeover; all rooms and suites will get a compete refresh with our reveal happening sometime in the spring. Thank you for your feedback as it is important to us to improve the quality and level of our service

Reviewed December 30, 2018 via mobile

To be charged the full rate for a suite, while there is construction going on smacks of non-disclosure. Walking through a building site is not on most family vacation to-do lists.
The breakfast was not a breakfast at all. The choices were three cereals, no milk. A toaster, with no bread to toast. So, dry cereal and orange juice might sound like fun, but we gave it a miss and begrudgingly went to Starbucks. Paying the Starbucks bill did leave a bitter taste knowing what our room at the Auberge, which ‘included breakfast’ was costing us.
Our room was comfortable and clean. It is all a bit dated, but still elegant.
The bathroom is functional but dated. Who still showers in a bath tub these days at this price?
The staff are not particularly friendly, but they are professional, which I honestly prefer.
The location is good. We did not need to use our car or a taxi to get around.
I would very much like to return to Vancouver, but would in all likelihood not stay here again.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank E128XQalexc

Dear E128XQalexc,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to comment on your recent stay at The Auberge. If you booked directly with The Auberge, you will see that on our website, we have fully disclosed that we are in the midst of an extreme makeover and that disruptions would be likely but we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that you and your family experienced during your stay last month during our renovations. With regards to the complimentary breakfast, an attendant is on duty at all times in the breakfast room and would be pleased to assist you with a breakfast selection to replenish any food items. We take your feedback very seriously as we are always trying to improve the quality and level of our service; thank you again.

Reviewed November 18, 2018 via mobile

I have stayed here, recommended it to friends and family as well as book it for business clients. This surprising gem in the heart of Vancouvers financial district, yet a block away from the most valuable hotel real estate in the city. The management went especially out of its way to ensure my stay was exactly as ascribed.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear the_black_estonian,

Thank you very much for your repeat business and choosing to stay with us! So pleased to hear that you recommend us to your friends, family & business clients. As you know, we are in the midst of an extreme makeover with a complete refresh of all our suites and we’ll be upping our breakfast service, too. Stay tuned for our big reveal happening Spring 2019; we would love to see what you think of our brand new look!

Reviewed November 7, 2018

What a gem of a hotel! It's close to the harbour and all the sights of Vancouver. The rooms were spacious and the views over the city and harbour were stunning. We traveled as a family of 5 and they did query us all staying in one room but were very accommodating and arranged a put up bed as the room was for 4. Would love to stay again. We were lucky enough to see a film crew outside the hotel during our stay which was great to watch.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Taylortribe5,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your rooms as well as the sweeping views of downtown Vancouver and the waterfront, plus our location can’t be beat. If you ever get the chance to visit us again, we’d be pleased to show off our soon to be newly renovated suites which will be ready for a grand reveal Spring 2019. Cheers!