“Great find in Vancouver”
Review of Dunn's Famous

Dunn's Famous
Ranked #374 of 4,118 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Granville Street
Description: Dunn’s Famous BC recently hosted a grand re-opening on Friday October 9, to offer Vancouverites a true deli experience for both quick lunches and also with the option for sit-down dining. Dunn’s offers a quick and convenient option to buy quality, authentic Montreal smoked meat. Dunn’s is perfect for the urban professional: the helpful servers understand that city workers often have limited time but still want a delicious, hearty lunch, so offer the highest quality meat and deli lunches in the shortest turnaround time. Brand heritage Dunn’s Famous restaurant was founded by Myer Dunn in Montreal in 1927 after he noticed that local clothing factory workers needed a restaurant that could provide quickly prepared, fresh and sustaining food. Due to the unique recipes and high quality standards, Dunn’s Famous quickly became a favourite among Montreal residents and visitors, who flocked to taste the authentic smoked meat. Today, Dunn’s continues its founder’s tradition of excellence by offering a delicious variety of poutines, soups, salads, wraps and a host of other items to delight the taste buds, as well as the signature smoked meat sandwiches. Throughout the years, the one thing that has remained is the commitment to offering authentic recipes made from the finest ingredients – “real food for real people”. There are six Dunn’s Famous restaurants in Canada, including five in Quebec. The newly re-launched Dunn’s Famous in Vancouver is the only franchise in British Columbia and indeed outside of Quebec. Dunn’s Famous BC brings an authentic taste of Montreal and an East Coast staple to the West Coast, allowing visitors and residents alike to experience the best of Canadian food and culture. Food Dunn’s Famous specializes in authentic Montreal smoked meat, an artisan meat product produced from beef brisket that is cured and spiced using old-world techniques before a slow cooking process. It is then steamed again and hand-sliced to order, before being used to create the iconic Canadian Montreal smoked meat sandwich. Dunn’s offers the only hand-sliced Montreal smoked meat in Vancouver; hand-slicing is an art that takes years to perfect and, in many cases, is passed down through generations. Hand-slicing is superior to machine slicing as the latter results in a tougher, more chewy product for two reasons: the meat is cooked for a shorter period of time to ensure it can hold up against the slicer, and it creates uniform slices that are not always against the grain. The smoked meat sandwich is the restaurant’s signature menu item, which is traditionally built with rye bread and piled high with hand-sliced smoked meat with yellow prepared mustard. Dunn’s staff make the sandwiches according to guest specifications, allowing them to choose sandwich size (quarter of a pound, half a pound and one in between for those who just can’t decide), cut of meat (lean, containing very little fat; medium, the most popular choice of cut; medium-fat, a more juicy sandwich; and fat, which contains as much fat as meat) and type of mustard (yellow, grainy, Dijon or hot mustard). Dunn’s commitment to quality means its meat always has a high protein percentage – it’s therefore purer and filled with fewer additives that are so commonly found in other deli-style meats and smoked meats. The extensive menu also includes Canadian and delicatessen favourites, such as a variety of poutines, latkes, Matzoh ball soup, fried pickles and cheesecake. The newly opened delicatessen offers retail items for guests to enjoy at home including pickles, sauerkraut, fresh deli salads and a variety of meats, all made in house.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First time in Vancouver and first time in Dunns. Had eaten at a different place the previous evening (see separate review) but it wasn't open at lunchtime so tried Dunns. Really enjoyed it, Great friendly staff, especially when we asked what a Poutine was, having never heard of it. My husband had a hot turkey poutine and I had a pulled pork grilled cheese, both were great. Only down side, we got our mains but had to wait for the fries, but they were really good as well. Would definitely recommend. $33 for the two meals and two drinks, which I think was fair.

Reviewed August 20, 2018

We liked it so much we came back twice!! On our first dinner, we had two kinds of Poutine, the original "Quebec" style, with squeaky cheese, and the Smoked meat poutine. Both were really good!! We left stuffed!! At the end of our trip, we remembered that meal, and went back for more poutine, and this time, my spouse also had a smoked meat sandwich. Service was always quick and price was fair.

1  Thank snooksinKC
Reviewed August 6, 2018

If you've never tried the Canadian treat of Montreal smoked meat — viande fumée — you're really missing out. This distinctively flavored brisket to die for is the stuff of Mordechai Richler fame. This sibling of the original Dunn's in Montreal may be the best meat meal in YVR. The pickles and cole slaw served with tyebsmoked meat sandwiches are also super. As we say in Montreal, c'est bon de se lecher les doits — it's finger-licin' good. Try the potato latkes too.

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

Located just off grimey Granville Street we popped into Dunn's hoping to grab a quick bite before our concert.

I made the mistake of ordering their spaghetti bolognese made with smoked meat. It arrived with the pasta, smoked meat but no tomato sauce. It was dry as dust.

When I asked my waiter about the sauce, he apologized and took my dish back to the kitchen to enquire about adding the pasta sauce. He came back 5 minutes later to say "They wasted a lot of food with this mistake and that they wouldn't be able to add more sauce to get the proportions right." WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!!!??

I guess that is what you get from straying away from what Dunn's is known for, smoked meat sandwiches.

My waiter asked if I would like something else. I decided on a smoked meat sandwiche with a side of coleslaw. I asked for dijon mustard on my rye bread.

So, by now it's a half hour into our 'quick bite' before the concert. Confident I will get something to eat soon, I sit back and watch my hubby eat his smoked meat sandwich. He's from Montreal and knows a good smoked meat sandwich. He said Dunn's was average at best. The rye bread of his sandwich kept breaking and falling apart. It was not near fresh.

When my sandwich was placed down in front of finally after a 10 minute wait, I lifted to bread to check the mustard and yep....they got that wrong too....French's mustard and not Dijon. How hard can it be to get an order right in this place!????

I showed the waiter that he had delivered the wrong order to me again and I apologized for being so demanding. He said he was sorry and asked if he could get me anything else. I asked him who the hell was working back there?! They can't even get a simple order right! (By this time I had the hunger shakes and I was spitting mad.)

The waiter made some excuse for the cook I can't remember because I was so frustrated. I told him to bring the bill so we could get out of there. I was so DONE with DUNN'S!!!

Reviewed August 2, 2018 via mobile

Wanted a deli as my daughter loves beef hotdogs. Thought I’d only have a bit of the burger but couldn’t put it down, was a mushroom Swiss. Incredible and great to dine at one of the city’s more historic venues.

1  Thank MJDBMW