“Only tried Crepes”
Review of French Made Baking - CLOSED

French Made Baking
Cuisines: French
Neighbourhood: South Main
Description: French-owned and operated pastry shop and crepe cafe in Vancouver. We are passionate about food and even more passionate about sharing it with family, friends, strangers... Anybody really as long as you have a sweet tooth and appreciate quality products. David is a self-taught Chef and can work hours on recipes to offer some of the most authentic and tasty French pastries in Vancouver. We believe that food is not just a basic necessity, it is also a pleasure and we intend to make people happy with our pastries. We can spend hours perfecting recipes so our creations are a delight to your 5 senses: they look pretty, they smell nice, they melt in your mouth, they taste good and each one of them has a distinctive sound when you take the first bite... Catherine and the team of baristas strive to provide customer service as delightful as the pastries, in French and in English!
Reviewed August 10, 2017

I tried Nutella with banana crepe. It's good but not great. There is no banana at all just really small chunks that tasted a bit sour. But the crepe is mad fresh which took a bit of time. Hubby tried 4 complete classic crepe it's not bad but not very fulfilling for a bit guy. Paid 16 bucks on the 2 crepe with a Perrier so it's ok.
There's not a lot of people walking by so it's kind of sad we were the only 2 customers there and there is 3 of them in the kitchen. The front end of the store is pretty dreamy I like the design . However the back part of the store for customers to eat is just mixed with booth and tables that's messy and completely different ambience than the front. It's too bad that they should organize it more to suit the whole 'Paris ' theme.
Heard them talking in French so they are original. But they really can do better.

Date of visit: August 2017

Reviewed July 10, 2017

The macarons were just okay and pretty expensive for what you get. I liked the pistachio, the earl grey, and the rosewater ones. Mu family did not really like the ones they tried. Also, parking was terrible... Side streets and curbs were full.

Date of visit: July 2017
Catherine I, Owner at French Made Baking, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2017

Dear Joe, I'm sorry to hear our macarons were not quite to your family's taste. If you'd like to come back and try other items, please feel free to use the underground parking located at 288 East 8th avenue, just around the corner from the café. It is free for customers of all businesses in the block!
Kind regards,
Catherine

Reviewed July 5, 2017 via mobile

French made baking is one of those Vancouver secrets that nobody knows and actually very hype !
The food is delectable, the croissants are simply similar as Paris, savoury croissants are just superb, and their cakes are awesome, perfect for a bday party or for office´s events ! French made baking is also a good place to have lunch in, staff is very kind !

Reviewed July 5, 2017

Very good! I asked for a suggestion for the 1/4 sandwich, she suggested the Vegetarian and I had a small salad. DELICIOUS! Wonderful and fresh food. My friend had a crepe, she enjoyed it. She had tea and I had a medium coffee (really smooth coffee). We shared the cheesecake and it was not really sweet or heavy, great ending. I would definitely go back! Clean, nice and helpful staff. I loved the front window seat! Wholesome, fresh, great looking food!

Reviewed May 14, 2017

Short of being actually in France, this is the real deal on French pastries. Scrummy, yummy, outrageously good. They even spoke to me initially in French. The lovely croissant with ham and cheese even had bechamel sauce in it. The macarons, especially the blackcurrant falvoured ones, were divine. I also had a hearty bowl of potato and bacon soup with some baguette. Sadly they had sold out of baguettes when I went to buy one after my meal. I also looked for a flans pâtissier (custard tart) which I have a particular weakness for, but no luck and I am not faulting them on its absence. So, if you are into truly outstanding, traditional French pastries, look no further, and, as an added bonus, you can practice your French language skills. For the serious pastry eater who cannot wait to devour their goodies, there is a modest seating area.

Date of visit: May 2017