“you get what you pay for”

C & N Backpackers - 927 Main
C & N Backpackers - 927 Main
Toronto, Canada
“you get what you pay for”
Reviewed 18 July 2010

dude, im tired of hearing that people don't like this place. welcome to the real world. you get what you pay for! c'mon, twenty bones a night... if you expect something better then stop being so cheap! spend the extra cash and stop b*tching.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I payed $60 PER NIGHT (yes for a backpackers) for two nights at C & N Backpackers due to the Olympics. There was literally NO VACANCY anywhere in the city. Its actually above the most derelict pub I have ever seen (you know the one with homeless people out the front and the only ppl in the pub are drugo's with nowhere else to go). It is located on Main Street near East Hastings, which is diseased drugo's paradise. This is the type of place where you dont want to touch anything and you feel dirty just being in there.

I checked in straight from my flight at 2am - the old guy behind the reception seemed confused and totally unaware of what was going on. The whole place was cold, dark and stunk like underarm sweat and pot.

I didnt want to sleep in the bed but i was exhausted from a 20+ hour flight. The sheets seemed clean but i was itching alot. It was very noisy from the street outside (Trucks, ambulance, cars) The shower is a joke, there are like 5 streams of water coming out of the head so i was freezing cold.

I paid for two nights but got out of there the next morning (no refund due to Olympics).. This place is a terrible place to stay and will give anyone a really bad first impression of Vancouver... I really recommend this place as an absolute last resort. (Seriously try every other place in town first even if you have to pay a bit more, its worth it)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Lindawubz

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Melbourne
Reviewed 18 February 2010

We stayed here during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic games, and were extremely unsatisfied with our stay... Firstly we booked a private room with queen bed, only to be given a jail-cell like room with two sets of bunk beds, and no TV (as promised). This was disappointing considering we paid $170 a night for a dive...The mattresses were shocking, with springs digging into your back, and the room was fairly dirty when we arrived. No to mention the beautiful view of a dirty brick wall.

I think the worst part about this hotel, though, is the area; being so close to Chinatown, the drug-area of Vancouver, you are constantly confronted with strange and scary people as soon as you step out the door. I recommend you avoid Chinatown at all costs...

In summary, DO NOT STAY HERE! Spend an extra few dollars and stay closer to downtown in a place that doesn't resemble a jail...

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephkerr007
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed 4 November 2007

Thankfully we only stayed here one night,that was more than enough. The only positive thing I can say about this place is that the bathrooms were very clean and its near the bus station.
Our room was freezing cold and no heat. Outside the traffic on the main road went right by the place and there was no insulation. It never got quiet so I got 0 sleep. The area itself is one of the worst in Vancouver. Our bus driver warned us to be really careful at night when she dropped us there she was trying to find an alternative but we risked the one night. Crossing the road to the hostel we met about a dozen drug addicts and another dozen homeless people in the space of 5 minutes.It really didnt feel safe at all.When we checked in we had to wait 20 minutes (even though no one else was there) and the guy was really rude and unhelpuful. The room itself was thick with dust and pretty gross. In the press people had written graffitti on the walls saying how much they hated the hostel! On our second visit to Vancouver we stayed in a budget hotel in Robson Street it was like another planet. Much nicer. If your going to stay in Vancouver avoid this place like the plague, or maybe catch it here like said previously. The hostel in the city centre is noisy due to the pub, but if you insist on a hostel,stay there, dont stay here!

• Liked — Bathrooms
  • Disliked — Dirt,rooms,location
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AngusY
UK
Reviewed 21 October 2007

I stayed at C & N and found the place fine for the price. I have checked out other places in Vancouver and they are almost double the price of this place. The rooms are warm and dry. The bathrooms are clean. I think this a place for people on a budget that are wanting to see Vancouver not spend there time in the hostel.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2007

This place was a disaster from the start. When I got to the hostel - I had actually booked across the road at the other branch - they had no record of my reservation despite my confirmation e-mail. When I got a room at the other one, it was dusty, smelled, the sink looked like I might catch dysentry, the bed smelled and the place was constantly bathed in cigarette smoke. There was a group of teens in the hostel who were running riot, and NOBODY asked them to calm down - the walls of this dump were paper-thin. The kitchen was basic beyond belief, the TV room was small, cramped and uncomfortable, and the staff were frankly the worst I have ever seen in a hostel.

To make matters even worse, the hostel is in the worst part of Vancouver, being about two blocks south of Hastings and Main streets - or heroin central. On a morning walk, I came across several people slumped in bushes with needles sticking out of their arms.

The worst part was that I paid upfront for 6 nights in cash for this dump. They didn't give me a receipt, so I reckon they're also fiddling the tax authority.

DO NOT STAY HERE, YOU WILL REGRET IT!

• Liked — Nothing!!
  • Disliked — Everything!!!
  • Stayed June 2003, travelled solo
3 Thank darrenmcc
Dunedin, NZ
Reviewed 30 November 2006

Never again! I only wish I had known about trip advisor before we chose to stay here. This place was awful. Not a good neighbourhood, the room felt really unclean and we did not feel safe. Probably the worst night of my life!

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — feeling unsafe, didn't seem clean, uncomfortably hot in room
  • Tips/Secrets — check trip advisor before you choose your accomodation
  • Stayed October 2005, travelled with friends