“Go-to place for comfort food”
Review of Burgoo

Burgoo
Ranked #224 of 3,811 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: American
Neighbourhood: Kitsilano
Neighbourhood: Kitsilano
Vancouver, Canada
“Go-to place for comfort food”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I've been going to Burgoo for years....and have been to all of them in Vancouver...yes they are all the same.

I mainly go to the newest one on 4th Ave, since it's closest.

I like pretty much all of the food. Very rich, flavoursome and tasty. Good soups (#1 is chicken corn chowder...or french onion can't decide), sandwiches (#1 is dos diablos) and stews (#1 is beef bourginon.....or kentucky burgoo, can't decide) and beer selection (#1 is burgoo brew). Never tried the desert though and I have bought the packaged stews to take camping which were great.

My only criticism is that the prices have gone up quite a lot in the last 6 years, especially the stews, and now you have to pay extra to get carbs (potatoes etc) with your stew. I guess it makes sense if lots of people aren't bothered with the carb part, but I would've thought the price would be lower without. Our server told us that you get more of the stew bit instead, but when I ordered it, the amount looked the same to me.

I do love the food, but it is definitely getting towards the more expensive end of the spectrum, where the competition is fierce in the area.

• Visited October 2013

Lucerne, Switzerland
“Great concept...”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Positively surprised about this place and its concept. Its all about slow food, organic, healthy, freshly cooked.
Several hotpot dishes like jambalaya, ratatouille, moroccan tagine and of course many some other dishes then hotpot from all around the world made with local products. Creative how the menu has been put together and it looks like it is changing with the season. Also the service was aboslutely friendly and helpfull with the choices. I ordererd a grilled pacific sokey salmon sandwich with salad. When it arrived the bread was not toasted. When I asked if this was possible it was no problem at all and a few moments later it came back on delicious toasted bread. My colleague had a classic, pulled pork on a bun and it looked delicious like the tangine of my other collegue looked too. Yes, would come back anytime for a healthy honest fresh cooked meal!

• Visited September 2013
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Comfort food... Yummy.”
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

They specialize in comfort, tasty, yummy, well prepared and presented food of all sorts. My dishes were a salmon sandwich with salad on the side and lentil soup very good. Service is attentive and nice and easy ambiance.

Visited September 2013
“The food is excellent”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

For those who like food made with love, go there, Kentucky burgoo, the bourgignon, the tomatoe soup, the sandwiches, the ratatouille, all are great dishes, and I'll come back to test more!
My only regret is that the tables outside are always taken when I show up, but eh, it's a good sign!

• Visited September 2013
“3rd time not a charm”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Went for lunch at Burgoo on 4th because it was an overcast day after many sunny days and I was thinking "comfort food." I've been to the North Van Burgoo and the Broadway Burgoo so I was pretty confident suggesting it as a pre-theatre stop.

The first thing that struck me was that the hostess was seating people according to "attractiveness." No joke. The front part of the restaurant, with windows onto the street - all attractive couples. In the back of the restaurant, a couple with a child, a middle-aged couple, and two women. The next people to come in I watched being steered to the back, actually had to remind the hostess they had asked to be seated in the front.

The second thing was that the menu is a bit misleading -- "ceviche" turned out to be tiny cooked bay shrimp in pico de gallo sauce. Not a speck of white fish in the dish. If you are serving a shrimp dish, call it that. Adding lime juice and peppers doesn't make it ceviche. The other appetizer had a tasty, tangy sauce -- but that fish was overcooked. Then came the chicken salad -- uninspired, with tired ingredients (all the more surprising because this was early for lunch). The lobster bisque was good: not as good as my last visit. Bottom line: I don't know if management has changed, or they got bored -- but we regretted not hitting the food truck fair that was going on a few blocks away.

The best thing about the meal? Our server who was a cheery young lady with just the right mix of welcome and focus to her job. Maybe we just ordered the wrong dishes - by the time we left the place was packed so people do like this spot...

• Visited August 2013