“Hopping Place!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Robson Street
Description: It's part of the Ramen Jinya chain - there's on in LA too
Reviewed May 17, 2016

Our 1st visit. It's always a good sign when an ethnic food place is full of the appropriate ethnic customers, and Jinya certainly fit that criteria. In the time we were there, we saw only 2 other non-Asians, and nearly everyone was Japanese. The ramen was very good: I had the Premium Tonkatsu White and my partner the spicy chicken. The egg in the Tonkatsu really "made" the dish. Both had very distinct and individual flavors. Prices were reasonable and service very fast. The welcomes from staff (in Japanese, but don't worry: they do speak English) and hustle and bustle give this tidy place a "street food" atmosphere.

Reviewed May 9, 2016

Great place to get some delicious ramen. If you like spicy, try the spicy soup, second or third on the list, and try the MILD version. Still pretty spicy and delicious!

Reviewed April 30, 2016

First time to Jinya; as expected the place was packed at lunch. Instead of conventional ramen in soup and because it was a warm day, I decided to try the seasonal Hiyashi Chuka; cold noodles tossed in a savoury sauce topped with cucumber, red ginger, roasted diced pork and a boiled egg. The noodles were ok, but I found the sauce too salty and heavy. What I really disliked was the pork which was mostly fat. This type of fatty pork is alright with ordinary ramen as the hot broth cuts the lard, but doesn't go well in a cold dish. The sauce lacked rice wine vinegar for acidity and needed a lighter more balanced flavour. Next time I'll stick to the regular menu.

Reviewed April 29, 2016

This was one of our favorite meals in Vancouver. We would have come back for another meal, but we were only in town for 3 days and wanted to explore the rest of the city. The meat was so tender that it just falls apart. The broth was flavorful and the egg was tasty.

Reviewed April 13, 2016

Tried the Tokyo Yatai Ramen and the Jinya Chicken Ramen on a recent trip and all I can saw was that it was greasy and also portions were small. The Jinya Chicken ramen broth looked to be hardening like lard. The YaiTai ramen just made me thirsty maybe cause it was salty. Portions were small. Tried this place out and now I'm done.