“We Highly Recommend this Malaysian Restaurant”
Review of Kaya Malay Bistro

Kaya Malay Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Kaya Malay Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #994 of 4,146 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shaughnessy
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We took our family out to celebrate an anniversary. The menu has a great selection of dishes to choose from. We recommend the vegetarian spring rolls, the Roti, Pad Thai, Nasi Goreng and the green bean dish. The dishes had the right amount of spiciness which pleased everyone. They also have a nice drink selection. We were pleased with the decor and how clean it was. The service was outstanding. We could not say enough good things about the friend staff. I encourage you to try this place out.

Date of visit: March 2013

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I finally got around to visiting Kaya last week. I still had their opening week ad clipped from the Georgia Straight - advertising Roti. I love Roti!

There were several things to recommend this place. The staff were very helpful and nice. The Rot Canai and the curry sauce did not disappoint...that sauce was excellent. The decor has a nice Southeast Asian feel without being to kitsch - modern and clean.

There is a very good selection of items on the menu. To start we had the Roti and the special fried stuffed Tofu - which were just excellent!
Followed with a chicken curry - the baseline for SEA restaurants - and Eggplant in Garlic Chili. The curry was good, not great, but good. The eggplant was very greasy, tasty, but very greasy.
We had the rice in banana leaves, just the right portion size, and such a great way to prepare jasmin rice.

I wish I had been hungrier - I'd like to try the Rendang and the Nasi Goreng. Next time!

It's a good fix for Malaysian - the staff were great and the price was not bad. Good selection of draft beers too (Dead Frog)!
Parking was on the street. Not sure if there was parking elsewhere, and their website was not helpful here.

Will go back!

Date of visit: December 2012
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I read about this place in the local paper so we decided to drop by and check it for lunch. There are limited choices when it comes to Malayan restaurants in Vancouver, so more the merrier!
The Roti Canai was really good, nice and fluffy. The flavors for our noodles was a bit subdued (Could have been a bit more spicy), but it was quite nice none-the-less. Serving size was about average while the lunch prices seemed a bit on the high side, but their dinner prices are inline with most places. Service was good, but despite of their name; they do not serve Kaya Toast.

A bit of a modern take on the decor and taste, but I think I will be back again for dinner next time to get a real taste of what they have to offer.

Date of visit: October 2012
1  Thank NomadOU812
Reviewed March 30, 2012

It had been several years since I've been to this restaurant and it wasn't as good as I remembered it to be. I think the management must have changed. For one thing the restaurant layout had changed somewhat and the servers weren't wearing the traditional Thai wear. And the food - we ordered the Pad Thai and a squid stirfry with basil and bamboo shoots. Lots of bamboo shoots. The food was just ok. I thought the squid dish could have been more flavorful, almost tasted like the sauce was watered down. Maybe it's because they don't use MSG (I saw a note on their menu that they don't). And the Pad Thai was better than some of the other Pad Thai's I've had though I have had better. Seemed like it was missing something though I can't quite put my finger on it. The service was very good though. The waitress very friendly. I probably wouldn't go back. Prefer the Urban Thai Bistro in yaletown.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed January 6, 2008

Tried yet another Thai place.

The food was alright, but nothing special. I've had better Green Curry elsewhere

The restaurant was very cold, heating wasn't working..and the atmosphere was lacking

I wouldn't go back