“Large space, good food”

Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Main
Reviewed 8 June 2017

This restaurant is located on the second floor of the building on Main and 23rd, and has a parking lot. The space is large (good for wedding receptions and parties), and the huge round table site 20 or more, and have the turning-top so everybody can have a sample without dropping. For the price, which are quite readable, you get a lot of choices for dimsum and good value: you may also try shrimp dumplings, beef balls, rice rolls, radish cake, extra hoisin and peanut butter dipping sauces, and my favourite - the mango cream cake! The rise and noodles portions are quite generous. The service overall is not that great, with some waiters barely listening to you.

Reviewed 5 June 2017

I was attending a wedding party here and this place was fantastic. The location was central, the atmosphere was lovely, the staff were so friendly and very attentive. I'm allergic to some seafood and don't eat the rest of it, but the staff were very accommodating to me. I didn't expect that. I had planned to just not eat the seafood dishes, but they brought me out my own little dishes when something had seafood in it. That was amazing! We had a 10 course traditional wedding feast and everything was tasty and presented beautifully. I was at the head table with the bride and groom so we were also plated. It was nice. :)

I think I was the only one with a food allergy, but we did have an international group, so a few things were not as eaten as others at certain tables. The staff were very polite at answering any questions anyone had about dishes we were curious about such as bird nest soup and what was in the sweet bean dish. I enjoyed everything I ate, but I'm an adventurous eater as long as I'm not allergic to it.

Reviewed 18 May 2017

Parking was a challenge. We did not have a reservation. However, they accommodated us after a half hour wait. It is best to make a reservation. The wait was well worth it. The honey glazed pork chop was the best I've ever had!

Reviewed 8 May 2017

My family was visiting from SK and I brought them to Sun Sui Wah on a recommendation from a friend. We ordered a 9.5lb Alaskan King Crab prepared 3 ways and we were not disappointed! 9.5lb was a good amount for 5-6 people. Crab legs steamed in garlic were so sweet, juicy and the minced garlic over top was not overpowering. The second course was the crab body deep fried with Chinese pepper-salt and I was really impressed by the fact that despite it being deep fried, the crab meat was still juicy and moist. The third course was crab shell fried rice (costs extra) but I would recommend anyone who is coming here for the king crab to definitely order it. Aside from crab it came with a generous amount of scallops and tobiko. We also ordered the roast pigeon which Sun Sui Wah seems to also be famous for. Crispy skin, tender dark meat, and tastes great with the seasoning salt that they serve on the side. Customer service was fantastic, and they came to change out our crab shells/plates at least 5 times! The prices were overall reasonable and I would not hesitate to bring my friends/family here again. The mango tapioca pudding dessert served at the end was also delicious!

Reviewed 16 April 2017

Dim sum is well prepared, varied and arrived piping hot. The noise level is deafening but pretty similar to most large Chinese restaurants. Perhaps a bit on the pricey side but you get what you pay for