“Loved it”

Ranked #351 of 4,116 Restaurants in Vancouver
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Food was incredible, waitress so helpful with lots of information about each dish and pairing. Organic and exotic, fresh and delicious. Amé!!

Reviewed March 8, 2018

The special was duck. Not worth it. We shared a very small squash, nicely prepared, then shared the duck. The breast was ok, but the leg was stringy and more or less inedible. Despite telling the waiter we we were sharing, the meal was not plated for two. I expect that for the price. For a "locavore" restaurant, we were disappointed. Try Forage instead.

Reviewed March 5, 2018

Went here for dinner over the weekend with friends. Generally good food, but some service problems made for a mixed review.

I tried:
- Bread with honeycomb and fermented chili - really good. Bread was fresh, warm and crisp on the outside and moist on the inside. Honeycomb was delightfully sweet and chili added a pleasant kick. Only 4 pieces of bread included.
- Stracciatella - very good. This is not the soup dish, it's a salad and cheese dish, which was nice, crisp with acidity to cut the creaminess of the cheese. Not what I expected, but still enjoyed it. I even like the olives, which I normally don't like.
- Half Duck Crown - Good and bad. The breast portion was cooked perfectly and rich in flavor, which was great. Some portions were really rare making it chewy and tough to eat. The leg portion was completely dried out, and impossible to eat.
- Squid Ink Pasta - OK. The novelty is the squid ink, so it's visually appealing but adds no flavor. The rest of the dish was cooked nicely though.
- Warm Brown Bread Dessert - OK, not special.

Service was mixed. Server was friendly, but one drink order was completely forgotten until reminded. First couse came out in probably 15 minutes, but after it was cleared it probably took another 20 minutes for our main course to come out. Service acknowledged this, and brought out free dessert. Although I thought the dessert was average, it was nice to see they recognized their service level and apologized for it.

Minimal street parking at night (if any), but I parked in a public parking lot about 1 block away for $6 for the entire evening.

Overall, I would rate 3.5 stars. I think they have 4 star potential, but on this visit, I thought the food and service was closer to average than very good, so downgrading my overall score to 3 stars because I can't give half stars. I would still try again.

1  Thank Roary_and_Friends
Reviewed February 1, 2018

I have been looking forward to eating here after reading reviews. Our dishes were tasty and great presentation, but other aspects of this restaurant were lacking. There were two couples and we ordered about six dishes between us. Everyone enjoyed their meals as the food was delicious. Perhaps, my expectations were too high. After we ordered our food choices it took quite a long time for the first plates to arrive despite the fact the restaurant was maybe 15% full. The menu doesn't have many choices. Plus, two of their menu items we couldn't order as they weren't available. There were only three 'mains' to choose from and one was not available. The wine and liquor list was extensive so that was good. The downside was the prices for a glass of wine were above average with a couple glasses over $20 for an OK pour. We were seated beside the window looking onto Dunsmuir, but it was very cold. Server(s) were efficient and constantly re-filled our water. The place is fairly casual and the ambience pretty decent. The prices on the menu were fairly high compared to the competition.

1  Thank AirSchis
Reviewed January 13, 2018

Absolutely my new favorite restaurant.

Atmosphere: Great. Not overly formal. Mason Jars and wine bottles on the wall. Spacious.

Drinks: We all started with a cocktail and all were good.

Server: I wish I got his name. He was great. Lots of hints about the menu, described the dishes, was attentive without being in your face and woo hoo, didn't come over and say "How were the first few bites".

Food: Wow - just wow! Looking at the prices and wanting to share things (there were three of us), we decided to go with the tasting menu which wa $65/person. It was so worth it. We had so much food (had to roll out of there) and got to taste so much. The variety was amazing. You could specify as there is duck on the menu which I don't like, so we said no duck or no olives. I don't know how many courses we ended up with - there was a cheese dish, then a salad dish, a veggie thing, clam, squid, pasta (which was my favorite), sablefish, lamb (amazing), two desserts and I know I am missing a few courses in there. Everything was so flavourable and interesting. We have done a lot of chef tasting menus, which cost a lot more money, and hands down, this is the one I have enjoyed the most. It was fantastic.

Two of us did the wine pairing with the meal which was great (although it was more white and we are more red people) but all good.

I would highly recommend and will definitely be going back!

2  Thank marialynnvancouver