“Yummy Afternoon Tea in Vancouver”

The Secret Garden Tea Company
Ranked #589 of 3,896 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$5 - US$29
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Kerrisdale
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Went to The Secret Garden for the first time last week with my Mom. She has been many times and has always enjoyed it. A very good tea. Yummy food and delicious tea. The service wasn't flawless. Our server was slightly distracted or something but that was the only small negative. Also the call their Afternoon Tea, High Tea which is not the same thing. Strange that someone can run a business and not have done their research. Afternoon Tea is what they serve. High tea is what a working family's dinner was once called as they dined at a 'high' table. Besides that, I would go again when in Vancouver.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

I like going to Secret Garden with my friends who enjoy drinking tea of many varieties. I usually choose the Creamy Earl Gray tea. The food available is delicious and features salads, soups and sandwiches. The treats are many and varied and a selection is shown to tempt you. The ultimate in dining at the Secret Garden is to book for High Tea which will allow you to make a reservation instead of waiting at the door. The popularity of this restaurant make a waiting period a regular occurrence when I have gone there. It is worth the wait but that aspect is my least favourite part of the experience.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Went there for an afternoon tea with a friend of mine. The tea room was rather small but very cute with lots of british accent and tea sets on the wall. The waitress was very attentive, refilling the hot water as many times as necessary. However, i wasnt a big fan of their pastries or desserts. Those cakes were cute and pretty with decorations, but some of them were too dry and not moist enough, and even the sandwiches were too dry to enjoy.
Even so, i liked their vibes, service and decor. Worth to try one or two visits.

Reviewed 31 August 2011

I LOVE afternoon tea, with the 3 tiered plate, the fancy china, yummy scones, the cute varied sandwiches, etc (must be my british heritage, I guess). My mom and I had some amazing afternoon teas when in London a couple years ago. Unfortunately, in Vancouver there are not many places that offer afternoon tea.
The Secret Garden is one of those places.
I brought along my boyfriend for his first experience.
All in all we enjoyed it. The scones (with jam and cream), the sandwiches and little desserts all were delicious (and I am fussy when it comes to scones, especially)
And the tea selection is huge. My boyfriend was "pleasantly" surprised how much he enjoyed the experience (it's not just for grandma's afterall! Though he was the ONLY guy in the place at the time!)
I am not giving this place 5 stars for 2 reasons - it's a bit over priced and it was VERY noisy (and cramped) when we were there (on a Sunday afternoon). So the noise level knocked down our enjoyment somewhat.
But if you are wanting to treat yourself to a yummy afternoon tea, definitely give this a try.
Kerrisdale is also a nice neighbourhood to walk around and pop into the various shops.

2  Thank shaaley
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I went to the Secret Garden Tea Room in Kerrisdale for my Birthday party this year. I attended the 4:30 High Tea.

When I called originally to reserve my spot, I spoke with Erin, who I think is one of the founders and owners. She was great to speak to and made me feel at ease with my decision.

When we arrived the day of, our table wasn't quite ready so we did have to stand in the retail area - there were 6 of us and it was a bit cramped but still very cute inside. The decor is very whimsical and reminds me traditional British.

When we did sit down we have a wide choice of teas, which we picked out and it was served in 2-cup tea pots with adorable tea-cosys on them. After a round of hot water refills we had our petit sandwiches and sweets come out. They were amazing!! The chocolate one was the best dessert I have had in a long time!!

I will definitely be going back!!