“Beautiful city overlooking sea and mountains”
Review of Vancouver

Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Nottingham, United Kingdom
172 helpful votes
“Beautiful city overlooking sea and mountains”
Reviewed 2 November 2011

This was my third trip to vancouver, but is always a pleasure to return to. Have a look at some of my other reviews for more details of recommended things to do and photos. E.g. Canada Place, bike ride around the sea wall of Stanley Park, Gas town, Chinatown, sea bus.
The Sky Train from the airport is fantastic! $8 each takes you from just outside the airport main doors through the city. One stop is at the Sea bus station near Canada Place if you're heading to North Shore as we were. On the way back it only costs $3 each for 2 zones! Try to include a visit to Grouse Mountain and Capilano Suspension Bridge (or Lynn Canyon).

1 Thank Hondabird007
Toronto, Canada
1 helpful vote
“Vancouver a Very Pleasant Place to be in July”
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Me and my wife spent 8 days in Vancouver, BC. We visited the whole city walking or by bus. We went to Whistler and visited the surrounding area. It was fantastic!. We did not manager to make on-time to the Peak to Peak attractions in Whistler as it closed around 4PM. Unfortunately we stayed to help our daughter move from her apartment, so we missed few vacation days. But I can say that you can fall in love with Vancouver!!
Just be aware of going for cheap rent car companies. We got a hit with a Mr Rent a Car in 938 KINGSWAY, Vancouver thru Discount Rent a CAr and they were very unprofessional!.
So spend your money wisely and, honestly you do not need to rent a car except when traveling to Whistler or Okinawan Valley. I wished I could hv stayed longer in Vancouver

1 Thank smakarem
Akron, OH
“Six days in Vancouver”
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My family and I visited Vancouver the second week in June and had a wonderful time. We arrived at noon and immediately drove our rental car to Whistler for our first night. The drive to and from Whistler is absolutely beautiful with many stops along the way for sightseeing. We regret not staying an extra day in Whistler just for the scenery, restaurants, etc. The peak to peak gondola ride is a must. Next we drove back to Vancouver spending the rest of the trip in downtown area. We stayed at the Landis hotel. This worked out great for us as we needed a two bedroom suite. We also liked the extra living space for relaxing. We especially enjoyed Granville Island – great place for dining, and the shops and restaurants at Gas town. Hiking around the perimeter sea wall walk and seeing the cruise ships were also fun. I was kind of worried before the trip about navigating around a big city with a car but found it very easy to get around. We also took the ferry to Victoria. It was quite easy to get on with our car. Went over and back in one day so we were kind of rushed. Victoria struck us as being a giant tourist trap. The ferry ride was worth the trip however. Overall, it was a very enjoyable stay and worth the trip. I highly recommend The Landis Hotel as it was Priced right and roomy. They also offered a discount for AAA members. I went next door to Cascadia Hotel and it was much nicer inside with newly decorated rooms. Definitely would have stayed there instead if we didn’t need the extra bedroom for the kids. We found that you can pretty much stay anywhere in town and still have good access to restaurants, shopping, etc.

18 helpful votes
“Wish to move there”
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Spent the weekend with my son and daughters in beautiful Vancouver. What a nice place. If I could afford a house I would move there any time. Mild weather, clean ocean air, excellent food. A bit sad to see beggers popping out here and there, however the majority of people seem very relaxed and content.

Atlanta, Georgia
9 helpful votes
“Picturesque Scenery and Great Relaxation”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

How one feels about Vancouver as a destination for vacation will ultimately depend on what he/she is seeking. For the traveler who seeks a beautiful location and peace of mind, Vancouver is almost ideal. I'd also recommend it for an outdoorsman/woman or a family vacation.

I do not mean to suggest that Vancouver does not have its' fair share of other attractions. There is, after all, shopping (including luxury shopping on Robson Street, which houses every major designer from Hermes to Louis Vuitton), a number of casinos, the Vancouver Art Gallery and the Museum of Anthropology. Nevertheless, when a tourist asks for the must-sees, the inevitable list consists of mostly of parks and neighborhoods to explore and almost entirely of outdoor attractions--Grouse Mountain, Stanley Park, Queen Elizabeth Park, Capilano Bridge, Van Dusen Botanical Gardens--I could go on and on and on. There's nothing wrong with any of this, of course, just a note for those who may be interested in things other than nature. That said, because the city is so beautiful, try to get up high for the views, whether that means the lighthouse, Sea to Sky Highway (both of which I wanted to get to, but time did not permit), a seaplane or simply a high point in the city.

Vancouver is a very walkable city, which I loved. Although I had a car--and would suggest the same for anyone planning to stay longer than a few days--I spent much of my time on foot. As mentioned above, neighborhoods are a significant part of the Vancouver experience. I'd suggest Downtown, Gastown, Yaletown, Chinatown and Deep Cove Village. Deep Cove Village and Gastown, while entirely different, were my favorites. Deep Cove Village features shops and dining, but most importantly, a marina, a lovely park, beautiful water views and access to water activities, including kayaking. Gastown, on the other hand, leans more heavily to the shops and dining side, but is also a key part of Vancouver history, with its' statues, plaques and cobblestone streets.

Foodies will love Vancouver. The restaurants are quite diverse and good authentic cuisine is easy to find. Other Asian food lovers will find themselves enamored of if not overwhelmed by their choices thanks to the large Asian population in Vancouver. I also indulged in a non-Asian restaurant, Brock House, which I will return whenever I revisit Vancouver (I'd recommend reservations and a tolerance for an intimate dining experience).

All in all, I found Vancouver to rank average to above average among the places I've traveled. I would return given the chance, which is a plus. I should also note that the people were some of the nicest and friendliest I've encountered.

2 Thank MrsADS

Been to Vancouver? Share your experiences!