“Just okay, pricey”
Review of Montreal Subs

Montreal Subs
Ranked #871 of 1,269 Restaurants in Victoria
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Nice guy.. but fell a full sub short... nothing special goin’ on here. 12”, 6”, 2 bags of chips & a can of Soda.. $29 what?? Thinking you may need to find a cheaper plaza soon

Reviewed January 20, 2018

Montreal Subs is a relative newcomer to the bustling Victoria food scene, having opened its doors about a year and a half ago or so. As the name implies, they specialize in making submarine sandwiches with an emphasis on authentic, high quality, Montreal smoked meat. I would liken the quality of the smoked to meat to that found in Siegel’s Bagels in Vancouver – you can taste the freshness of the product. What’s more, Montreal Subs is Victoria owned and operated; thus, as per their website, the emphasis is on “Victoria First” and this is enunciated through their work with local vendors, namely Phillips Brewery and Portofino Bakery, the latter of which delivers fresh buns (never frozen) for the sub sandwiches. Again, you can taste the quality.

I really appreciate the fact that Montreal Subs is a local shop and not some gigantic MNC like, say, Subway. I’ve been to many Subways over the years and while some are decent, the majority are mediocre at best. It doesn’t seem to matter what you put on your sub (or how much); they always end up tasting pretty bland. But people have learned to accept mediocrity as “the good.” Montreal Subs, on the other hand, because they source locally and use fresh, organic ingredients just put out a better product. The Montreal and Cheddar sub, or the Montreal and Swiss sub, are key examples: both are very simple in their construction (Montreal smoked meat, cheese, mayo and onions), but the flavour they have! Oh my! You’re certainly free to load it up with other ingredients, but I prefer to let the Montreal smoked meat speak for itself. It’s amazing how something so simple can taste so divine.

I’ve read other reviews about Montreal Subs online and they’re pretty interesting. This place seems to be polarizing: You either love it or you hate it – there doesn’t seem to be any in between. From what I can see, some have criticized the sub construction while others have scoffed at pricing. While I’ll agree that the bread to meat ratio can be off at times, I think the price for what you get is fair. I mean, if I want something for $5 that tastes like cardboard, I’ll go to Subway; if I want a quality product that emphasizes “home” (and supports local), I’ll come to Montreal Subs. For me, it’s a no brainer. Their rewards card also helps ;)

FOOD: 4.5/5
SERVICE: 4/5
VALUE: 4/5
RECOMMENDATION: Unlike other sub shops in town, Montreal Subs sets itself apart with its emphasis on smoked meat. You can certainly “gussy up” your sub and make it all fancy, but they’re just as good leaving them as is. Allow the smoked meat to sing and entice your taste buds! As I’ve said, this is quality you can taste. Give them a try!