“Best to discover the local sea life wih all your senses”

The Maritime Museum of British Columbia
Ranked #40 of 187 things to do in Victoria
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Maritime Museum of BC engages people with the maritime culture and history of the Pacific Northwest through rotating exhibits, educational and community-based programs, research services, and more. We look forward to your visit!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 7 June 2015 via mobile

Very impressive the guides in the museum are well prepaired and are very proud of what they do. For visitors with little knowlede about the maritme lifeforms they explain very well. And you can even touch some of the sea habitants in special aquarium. That was a new experience for me!

MaritimeMuseumofBC, Communications Assistant at The Maritime Museum of British Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2015

Hi Phil, we're glad you've enjoyed your time here in Victoria! Is it possible that you visited the Shaw Ocean Discovery Centre in Sidney? Unfortunately, we here in bastion Square are closed at the moment.

There are newer reviews for The Maritime Museum of British Columbia

Reviewed 7 June 2015

Many aspects within an old historical building and located on a pedestrian only street where local artists and authors sell their art. The museum has many interest for both parents and children under 10. A small shop with souvenirs there also. Have to seek staff if you have any questions. The old architecture of the building inside is beautiful. Check out the history of the building before it was a museum...

Hi there, we're glad the Museum made a positive impression on you, and thanks for your review! We're in the process of moving from our current space, but we really do appreciate the immense historical value and beauty of the building itself. It'll definitely be missed!

Reviewed 3 June 2015

The Maritime Museum of Victoria is on the move. It is looking for a new location, but once it is found it should be well worth visiting. The government needs a prod. Victoria is such an interesting city and museums are an attraction, especially maritime museums that tell such an important part of Canadian History.

MaritimeMuseumofBC, Communications Assistant at The Maritime Museum of British Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2015

Hi Ben, thanks for your words of support! We're working closely with our membership and partners to determine the best place and plan for the Museum in the future. In the meantime, stay up to date with what's happening in the broader Museum community, with some behind-the-scenes highlights, on our website, Facebook page, and Twitter feed.

Reviewed 5 May 2015

When I visited the museum, I was informed that they were in a transition since they were changing locations. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the details and the history of maritime museum. I look forward to visiting the new location.

Reviewed 13 April 2015

A few years ago on a very snowy and slushy afternoon a friend and I visited the museum.
There was a special exhibit on. Not sure what is was about. The main thing I remember was large panels with dense small font text and diagrams. Yes, artifacts too. Some interesting, some less so. We wondered why we had paid admission for what was on offer.
On our way out we admired the old 'cage' elevator in the lobby. A staff member noticed our interest and offered to take us up. We quickly accepted and rattled up to the upper floor. Much to our surprise we entered a large room which we were told had been 'Hanging' Judge Begbie's court room. An amazing place! The staff member gave us a detailed explanation of the way the court worked at that time (mid-1800's). A couple of days ago I was agin visiting Victoria and thopught of going back to the maritime museum. The museum was closed and would not open again. When I rang the bell a staff person appeared. She explained that the aging building was no longer available to the museum and they would have to find accommodation elsewhere. I also learned that the museum had to charge a high admission fee because it received no relief from the city in the way of grants or the waiving of rent.
I asked about the court room on the upper floor. The building is designated as 'heritage', which I am sure must include the cort room. I asked if the room would continue to be open to the public, but the staff person could not say, because she had no idea.
Pretty awful if you ask me. Unless i have my facts wrong, I believe the City of Victoria appears to be neglecting an important part of our history, by not sharing it with people of British Columbia and visitors from elsewhere. For what it is worth.