“Review”

Lone Tree Hill Park
Reviewed February 11, 2018 via mobile

Lone Tree Hill Park and Jocelyn Hill near Gowlland Tod Provincial Park are great sites to visit in the greater Victoria area, lots of great views.

Date of experience: August 2017

Reviewed December 31, 2017

We only had an hour after our 4.5 hour / 9K hike of the Ridge trail in nearby Gowlland Tod Provincial Park, so we spent an hour at Lone Tree Hill Regional Park: 40m hiking time, 2.2K return, 116 elevation gain (216m to 332m), and a good view / photo op.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed October 21, 2016

We live right near this park, so we absolutely love the proximity to home, as well as the view from the top. The first part of the hike is very easy, with wide easily marked trails. It is appropriate for any fitness level. About halfway up, however, there is a definite increase in incline and the footpath becomes more narrow with some loose areas near drop-offs.

It is not a long hike (20ish minutes one way for those in good shape and used to hiking, up to 40-45 minutes for novice hikers or those with a slower pace), but that gives you more time to admire the view. Great place for a picnic, and it is rarely busy. I do not believe we have ever encountered more than 4 other hikers/groups in a full round trip at any given time. Definitely do not forget your camera, as there are two distinct viewpoints. One gives you an amazing view of the Highlands and surrounding area, and the very top of the summit allows you to get a glimpse of both Victoria and the ocean on a clear day.

Date of experience: September 2016
2  Thank Melichard
Reviewed July 10, 2016

We are retired and not in bad shape but have some mobility issues. Reading online in advance, found it was described as a moderate climb: yes, there are areas of considerably unstable rock underfoot on the trail, especially unsafe along some of the steep corners. Not good for a wet day. It was dry for us so we just had to pick our way down slowly. My husband brought his walking stick, which he rarely uses but was very good to have here.

This is pristine forest, canopied heavily for the most part. Some look outs and sunny spots; overall very refreshing.

The signage forbids dogs from being off-leash, yet every party we passed had their dogs off-leash. Also, I counted fourteen bags of dog dirt in bags abandoned on the trail sides, and all the parties had left without picking up their bags.

We loved our trip here overall even though we didn't get to the top (hope we can try another sunny day). I would recommend this to people who are okay to do some scrambling and are wearing hiking footwear (I was okay with my Tevas; my husband wore his Keens). I would not recommend going alone as there are areas where you might slip and fall on the loose rock underfoot. We saw a bald eagle circling at the top (from where we stopped to turn around just shy of the summit). Lovely!

Date of experience: July 2016