“Get a higher floor if on the back side”

Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed there last fall, very good price of about $90 or so. Parking was extra though. Well located on a quiet nearly residential street, near the Parliament Building, waterfront, short walk to the Empress Hotel and downtown. We had a room on the back of the building, looking onto a roof section, and vents, as well as a highrise. Would have been fine if we were higher up, to get somewhat more of a view. The front rooms don't have a balcony. Overall good value.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
IanJones-GM, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciated you taking the time to share your experience, even if your views were not as desired. Next time be sure to ask for a “Superior Room”, they all have fabulous views and we do infact have balconies on the front side, great to sit and enjoy the famed Victoria Inner Harbour, truly a wonderful sight.

Please try us again, and again ask for a “Superior Room”, you will love the views, and be sure to checkout Vic's Steakhouse as well, as Kevin our Bartender for a special Kev Special.

Reviewed 30 January 2012

Great price and location. Comfortable room but busloads of HS kids in the halls kept it noisy all night. The staff seemed unresponsive and asked us to talk to them about the noise.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciated you taking the time to share your experience. As I live on property, I agree, some times our guests can be loud, celebrating an anniversary, a wedding or a big win in hockey or soccer, whatever the issue, our Front Desk do try their best to control the noise volumes and sometimes we do need to warn our guests two and three times; these are definitely unfortunate situations indeed and we continue to try and improve our controls in this area.

I do hope you will try us again, maybe the celebrations will have ended and you can enjoy the peaceful tranquility of the famed Victoria Inner Harbour, with the seagulls calling out their names to each other, truly a spectacular sight indeed.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

We were very pleased with the service at the front desk. When we explained we were celebrating 30 years since our last visit along with a business trip, we were upgraded to a suite. What a wonderful experience. The meal we had at the restaurant was a bit expensive, but it was fine dining after all. The pool and area were open and clean. In fact, it was the warmest indoor pool we've ever experienced.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciated you taking the time to share your opinion on our hotel, especially as you have been coming here for 30 years – wow, thank you very much !

I hope you enjoyed your meal in Vic’s Steakhouse, our new Executive Chef has created a wonderful new menu and we have received many positive comments like yours, thanks again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

This is a hotel that I have stayed in the most in my life - more than 50 times. A great location with decent size rooms many overlooking the beautiful Victoria Harbour. The problem is the dated look, old elevators, TVs and phones, water that turns brown when stored in a glass or mug, expensive parking ($15 plus tax) and last but not the least, a cancelled loyalty rewards program.
But for these, it is a great hotel to stay in and hopefully I will keep going back to if they come up with a new updated rewards program.

Room Tip: Take a room on higher floors(8th to 12th) facing Harbour and take in the views and the lights at nig...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciated you taking the time to share your opinion on our hotel, especially as you have been coming here for so long.

You are correct in your comments regarding the TV’s and phones etc., however the good news is that we are slated for renovations in 2012 and this will bring our product up to date and then we may be a position to again offer a loyalty program. Unfortunately with a large group of hotels such as ours, across so many different brands, it was contradictory to offer our own rewards programs against a Hilton or Marriott program for example; we must respect our brand partners, and thus the reason for cancelling our loyalty program.

I hope you will return again, and I look forward to hear what you think of our renovated hotel, after the project is 100% complete, it will be spectacular.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Myself and over 300 journalism students across Canada stayed here for a conference, and there was a nasty norovirus breakout that made national news. Apparently the Vancouver Healthy Authority said it had nothing to do with the food and that it must have been one of us delegates who started it. So we researched, and several of us have our suspicions as norovirus is known to spread through contaminated food. We noticed a whole whack of kids got sick all at once on the first evening of the breakout (I think part of our breakfast buffet was probably contaminated and the virus had the day to incubate in the delegates) and apparently out of the hotel staff, initially one housemaid got sick and more than half a dozen of the kitchen staff were ill. Interesting. Very interesting. Additionally I have no idea how they could have deduced it had nothing to do with the food at all considering their investigation took place several days after the initial infections (the potentially infected food was long gone by then...)

We were also mortified that more kids were getting sick at a very fast rate (in the end around 155) and the other hotel guests had no idea what was going on. They were at a very high risk of contracting the virus (very contagious) and everyone we stopped to talk to in the lobby was completely oblivious. The hotel should have told them about the norovirus and at least instructed them on how to properly protect themselves.

Otherwise, the hotel was nice - I am a hotel newbie and enjoyed my stay pre-norovirus. The hotel is close to downtown so we were within walking distance to the museum (IMAX!) and shopping centers. I took a dip in the pool and it was a small space but otherwise pleasant. Maid service was ninja-quiet and thorough. We ordered food but they wouldn't deliver it to our room because of the norovirus. The front desk staff was very accommodating. After my roommate puked their guts out, I took my things in the dead of the night down to the front desk and asked for a new room. They didn't give the tired kid in the PJS a hard time (thank god) and gave me a clean room free of charge.

Room Tip: The 7th floor room I stayed in had a balcony but the view was pretty ugly!
2  Thank Jade M
IanJones-GM, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciated you taking the time to share your experience. As I live on property, I agree, the whole experience was a difficult one for all, our guests, our associates and for the Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA), but one comment I can make is how wonderful everyone was, how great to see humanity come together in such hard times.

Once VIHA was on site (Sunday morning at 9am), they issued us warning posters about increased levels of flu-like viruses in the community and we immediately posted these official signs in all elevators and in the lobby area, this was the measure they instructed the hotel to take to inform other guests and our associates alike.

They then met with our Housekeeping Management team to explain the proper chemicals needed to combat the virus and then continued to follow up with us each day for next three days, until ultimately giving us the “all clear” message on Tuesday.

On Sunday, they also arranged a Health Inspector to inspect our kitchen, and we received a passing grade, as we have for all our past inspections, so I am confident in our cleanliness standards and our food handling procedures, our Executive Chef is very diligent with his food safe practices.

I am sorry you had to end your wonderful conference and visit to Victoria this way, not the memories we ever wish our guests to have, especially as Victoria is such a lovely city, our staff and the residents such wonderful people, I do hope you get another chance to enjoy what Vancouver Island has to offer.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

We got a deal on priceline and ended up here. I paid more money to upgrade to a suite and honestly except for the view the room is so out of date. I would say it is an 80's special. They have put no money into upgrades what so ever. Except a new tub liner. The elevators all have an odd smell to them. Old? Not sure.

The suite it huge but old, stained green carpet we didn't want out bare feet to touch. Gross!

We never went to the restaurant as we never saw anyone in it and we were here for 3.5 days.

The gym is large and pretty good they the cardio machines also need to be serviced. It seems who ever owns Harbour Towers isn't willing to upgrade. We would never stay here again!

oh and 15 bucks a day to park. Crazy!!!

Room Tip: If you have to stay here at least have an ocean view room. Can't imagine if we didn't have...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
IanJones-GM, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciated you taking the time to share your experience with other potential guests of our Hotel, even if disappointing.

It was disappointed to read your thoughts on our hotel and guest rooms, especially as our Executive Housekeeper is very diligent to ensure our carpets are steam cleaned quite regularly; they may seem a little old, however they are clean.

We actually have a new Director of Food & Beverage starting tomorrow, and our new Executive Chef has a new menu being launched next month, along with our new “Wine by the glass” program, I look for great things out of Vic’s Steakhouse & Lounge over the coming weeks and months.

We also have a full renovation plan scheduled for 2012, so be sure to check us out in 2013, I am sure you will be amazed with the changes, they do look exciting indeed.

Once again, I do apologize you didn’t enjoy your January trip; I hope your next visit will be more enjoyable.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

The food was delicious, although a little salty at times, and the hotel staff was second to none in being accommodating and friendly. Will recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: If you want a great view, I heard there's a suite on the third floor with an amazing 360 degree...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciated you taking the time to share your experience with other potential guests of our Hotel, and thrilled to read about how you enjoyed your visit, music to a General Managers ears.

I have more good news to share, we actually will be embarking on some renovation plans in 2012, so your next stay will be even better, I guarantee it.

See you soon,