“Great Service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Regina, Canada
“Great Service”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We stayed here as a family of four last week. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful from the very minute we checked in until we reluctantly handed in our room card to conclude our stay.

We had a room in the Laurel wing with a separate bedroom (king bed) and a pullout couch in the main room. The view of the harbour was fantastic! The kids enjoyed watching the seaplanes and ferries arrive and depart each day. The large bathroom was also a plus. I suppose the room could use some updating, but it was modern enough for us. When we first arrived, we did smell a strange odour in the room, which we attributed to the humidity.

We did make use of the undersized and under heated pool. I made the mistake of trying to use the fitness centre one morning to sneak in a workout. To me it looks as though they have converted a guest room into a tiny gym. The set up is far too small and there is not enough cardio equipment. I ended up getting far more exercise than I needed, however, due to the long, pleasant walks through the habour and downtown.

Overall, I would stay here again. Next time, I wouldn't mind checking out the other wing of the hotel.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
  • Korean first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My wife and I decided to spend an evening at the Inn at Laurel Point, since the tariffs were reduced as part of a local promotion.

Stayed in a studio suite room (#250) which had a king sized bed and is quite large and well appointed. The room was clean, in fine repair, with a decent view of Victoria's outer harbour and overlooking the Inn's gardens. The bathroom included both a shower and very large bathtub (as two separate features either side of the door). Two sinks and all the usual goop in small plastic bottles. No noise at all from the neighboring room (which might have been empty).

The seaplane traffic is constant during daylight hours. It is entertaining to watch them come and go but light sleepers may find an afternoon nap difficult because of the noise. (I didn't.)

Oddly, the room didn't have a hotel guide in any of the desks or drawers and I get the impression that one is expected to surf through the various tv menus to find out when the pool is open (or just call the desk). I thought it a bit cheap to charge for tuning the tv to a music station (but the radio on the bedside table served well enough and allowed for iPhone docking). The films seemed a bit expensive to rent. (I've never seen one go for $14.95 before, but that might just be me.)

The staff is very helpful, including the waiter we had at the Inn's restaurant, Aura. The food was high-end, quite good and (mostly) in English. (There's currently a dine-around-town $30 per person deal which is most reasonable.) Go elsewhere with children or if you're yearning for a burger, however. Dress seemed to be is smart casual (but judging by the moron with hoodie and ballcap on backwards at the next table there are no set standards).

Altogether a fun stay and fine meal in a pretty place. Certainly worth considering as a place to stay if one is visiting Victoria.

Room Tip: Go larger room for a proper view of the harbor. Specifically ask for a table by the window in the re...
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Second weekend at the Inn. Very pleasant surroundings, polite/helpful staff, nice room and view of Inner Harbour. Downsides were location of room: ground floor opposite from pool and fitness centre; and, water in pipes gurgled in bathroom sink. Noise from kids (and even parents) coming and going from pool/fitness room was a bit loud and bothersome. Also, being on the ground floor, people strolling on the harbourside walk could look right in to the room. Location of the hotel, near the Inner Harbour, is great.
When we checked in and saw the location, we should have requested a change, so part of this is on us.
Nevertheless, the bed was very comfortable and our stay quite nice. We will be back.

Room Tip: Go high. Stay away from the pool and fitness centre.
2 Thank vancouverharvey
Vancouver
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I've been to Victoria hundreds of times, but never have stayed in the inner harbour, and it was a treat to do so at the Laurel Point. This is a lovely spot to see the seaplanes and the harbour activity, and as I was there for a conference, they were very focussed on the quality and care of guests that were part of that. I felt very well taken care of in the few times I had to contact the front desk. The hotel cafe for breakfast was very expensive but I guess that is the norm. Room service is almost cheaper. One complaint is the fitness centre is very small. Love for them to get another treadmill. Been a while since I've been in a fitness centre that had only 1 treadmill. (Lots of waiting) Pool was tiny, but again probably the norm. The location is about 10 mins walk from anything useful in town, and cabs in Victoria end up being about 9-10$ for just a quick jaunt into town. Still, walking is possible and quite nice, just not in the rain. Couldn't check out late (was Saturday tho) so that was mildly annoying. Actually, they did give me 30 mins extra (til 12 noon). For some reason, I couldn't confirm the late checkout until the Sat morning, which as I was going out late the night before, kind of defeated the purpose!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed in the Terrace Suite on New Years Eve!

The room was amazing with a wonderful view of the harbour. The king bed was extremely comfortable. The decor was grand. There was a huge balcony overlooking the gardens and harbour. The service was great.

My only complaint about the place was that we tried to check-in on time (at 3pm), but the room wasn't ready until 345. Although they did alow a free late check-out!

Room Tip: Erickson wing has amazing harbour views!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Canmore, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My mom, dog and I stayed in the Erikson Wing between Christmas and New Years and loved the hotel. Our room was one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in, the bathroom was amazing, the size of most standard hotel rooms. The hotel had lovely touches like high class magazines, iPod player and they even delivered a card for my dog! We enjoyed the location, ocean views, walking distance to town but nice and quiet.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Moselle D
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2012

For the price of a room in the older Laurel wing, I'd suggest staying elsewhere. Unless you can afford to stay in The Erickson wing. We had a harbour view King room on the 3rd floor, which was nice, but it wasn't as nice as the rooms at the Coast (next door) and it was more expensive.

The room was super clean, the bed was comfortable and the hypo-allergenic pillows/duvet option was a bonus. The bathroom was a good size, however it would have been nice to have an extra mirror outside. The Aveda toiletries were awesome, I should have bought some before I left. The TV was a newer flatscreen, which was nice.

I had ordered a fruit & cheese plate for 2 to be delivered to the room the first night for $25 plus delivery charge (which seems a bit absurd...it's not as if the restaurant needed gas to get up to our room). It was super good/well presented and my only complaint was that it should have had been priced more appropriately for the serving size...after all, I could have gotten 2 entire meals instead.

The location of the hotel is far enough out of the city for it to be quiet and was literally a 10-minute walk to downtown (Government Street). It's also near a small grocery/convenient store, liquor store and bus route. If you can't afford to eat at the Aura, luckily Victoria has plenty of amazing restaurants within walking distance for you to experience!

All in all, it was an excellent stay, just not worth the price. I've stayed in better that were more affordable. I'd stay again...if it were on sale ;)

Room Tip: Take a shower the night before, because there's never any hot water in the morning!