“Lovely location, Lovely Room, Grumpy Staff”

Days Inn - Victoria on the Harbour
Ranked #32 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Sumner, Christchurch
“Lovely location, Lovely Room, Grumpy Staff”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Loved the location, good value, great view, well equipped room. Unfortunately I was greeted by an officious staff member at reception who was in the midst of training another staff member. I arrived early (and was actually trying to ascertain if a lost bag had been delivered by the airline). I was lectured on the check in time. Not the welcome one hopes for. I would recommend staying here but suggest you don't try to approach the desk too early ;-)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
GMDaysInnVic, General Manager at Days Inn - Victoria on the Harbour, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you so much for your review on your recent stay with us. It was wonderful to hear you enjoyed the location and room - I apologize if the staff came across as anything but what would be expected - friendly and courteous - we'll make sure to mention this to the staff so it doesn't happen again! Thank you again for taking the time to comment and we hope to see you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel is in a great location but is in serious need of renovation and updating. Our room was dirty and worn. The hotel was also very noisy, you could here people from the other end of the hall when they got off the elevator. There was garbage left from previous guests. Our room was also right above the bar and very loud. I also complained to the front desk that our room door was left open by housekeeping when they refreshed our room. I never recieved an apology, only that they would leave a note for the manager. From walking around Victoria there appears to be many hotels kept in much better shape. I would say however, the restaurant staff where quite friendly. If I went back I would eat there again, just not stay there.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
GMDaysInnVic, General Manager at Days Inn - Victoria on the Harbour, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you very much for your comments and we’re glad you liked the downtown location – it is something we are known for. For our noise sensitive guests we usually recommend our city view rooms rather than the harbourview. We pride ourselves in maintaining the highest level of standards for cleanliness and safety. However, unfortunately this standard was not met for you and for that I am sorry. Please know that we have told the staff of your comments so as it does not happen again in the future. Thank you again and I hope you will choose to give us an opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Victoria hotels

vancouver, bc
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed at the Days Inn recently and I have to say it was a very positive experience. The rooms were clean and comfortable and we had the best view of the Victoria Harbour. The bathrooms are a bit small but really how big a bathroom do you need. If you are bringing a pet you will be on the second floor. There is an elevator or very gentle stairs to help you get there. The restaurant serves very nice food - we did breakfast (a continental breakfast was included with our room). There is also a sports bar in the evening if that is your thing.
The Days Inn is near right downtown and is close to many attractions.
We would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again. The staff are great.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for the great comments on your recent stay with us. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel. We are quite lucky that our pet-friendly hotel is able to accommodation the furry family members, as well as that we’re only minutes walking from the beautiful Beacon Hill Park, which has an off-leash dog park. Thank you again for taking the time to post this review and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Maybe you can even try one of our pet packages?
Nanaimo
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed just one night , but will be back. Nice clean room, robes, coffee maker, free bottled water , good price, quite and a friendly staff.
Had breakfast in the restaurant with a $5.00 off coupon from the desk, good food and a view of Victoria's beautiful harbour.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
GMDaysInnVic, General Manager at Days Inn - Victoria on the Harbour, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your great review on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel. We are lucky that our ideal Inner Harbour location allows our guests to take in a view from their room as well as to be in the heart of downtown; close to shopping and sightseeing. The onsite restaurant, with outdoor patio in the summer, is a hit with locals and it's nice to hear with our guests too. Thank you again for taking the time to post this review and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We stayed a Sunday night in February, harbor view, corner room. It was very small, in the European way but clean and very well appointed. Free bottles of water, nice bathrobes, wifi, good desk for work with a good chair. We were on the forth floor and I was worried it might be noisy from the road traffic but that was not an issue at all. The bed, pillows and bedding were very comfortable. The room was quiet and I slept very well which is rare for me as I am a very light sleeper. They allow dogs on the second floor so I'm looking forward to bringing my furry friend next time.
Our rate with the AAA discount was under $76 plus tax and included a sit down, table service continental breakfast which was quite substantial or in the alternative you can get $5 off a regular breakfast off the menu.
I highly recommend the hotel for it's quality, value and convenient location.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Ridemoreponies
GMDaysInnVic, General Manager at Days Inn - Victoria on the Harbour, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We love to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay with us. In today’s economy it’s important to know that you are getting value in your stay and we appreciate that you find it in our Hotel. Yes, we are certainly pet-friendly and look forward to welcoming your furry friend on your next visit! I will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments to all of our staff. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
seattle washington
Reviewed 3 December 2011

This is about our 6th time staying at Days Inn on the Harbour and we have recommended it to many of our friends. This is not an upscale plush hotel, but a well run modest hotel with a great location. The rooms are small but well furnished and clean with comfortable beds. Robes were provided along with coffee maker and an electric kettle to make tea, along with bottled water. The harbour facing rooms are our favourite and we don't find them noisy and it is interesting to watch the comings and goings on the harbour. Any noise usually comes when the downstairs bar/pub "smokers" are outside I think. The restaurant serves good breakfasts and has deals for lunch and dinner. The pub is a nice amenity and always seems busy and full of life. The walk into downtown Victoria past the Parliament Bldgs and Empress Hotel is fantastic. I would heartily recommend this hotel without reservation to anyone. The staff are polite, helpful and available too.

Room Tip: We like 3rd floor for the view, and also as pets are allowed on the 2nd floor and we dont want to sa...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gowelltraveller
GMDaysInnVic, General Manager at Days Inn - Victoria on the Harbour, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. It is wonderful to hear that you recommend our hotel to your friends and will again this time. As the saying goes, it's not often enough that we hear from our guests letting us know of their enjoyable stay, and it is always greatly appreciated when they do. Thank you again for taking the time to post this review and we look forward to welcoming you to our beautiful city again in the future.
Anacortes, Washington
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Overall, I would stay there again. As has been said, the location can't be beat. The rooms were small, but fine. Having an oven range was a surprise, so we are able to cook and save money on meals. Bathrobes were a pleasant surprise. On the negative, the bathtub barely drained, the kitchen was lacking any knives to cut with, and there was no A/C (we were there in October, so no problem). There was no conditioner in the bathroom either (I can't live without conditioner). There are two central issues, though, that left me with a bad feeling. One was the coffee packet (you know, the cheapy micro-sized packets). One was provided, which makes enough coffee for one person. When I asked for another, I was told it would be $1.00. I was shocked. Most hotels give away good coffee! The other was the fact that we left our camera in the room with pictures that I really needed on it. I called immediately after discovering this (on our drive back to the ferry) and first they said "they'd look around for it." After insisting that they please go look right now, they did, and found it. I was so relieved. They said they'd mail it back and charge the costs to our card. No problem. However, it has been two weeks today and still nothing in the mail. I called. They haven't even mailed it yet! Had I known it would take so long, I would have turned the car around and picked it up! The problem is I really needed those photos. I asked why they didn't say it would be so long, and they responded that since it takes an hour to go mail something, they only do it every couple weeks or so. I had a presentation to do at work that failed thanks to not having the photos. The poor customer service/accomodation surprised me. Hopefully this was a unique situation.

Room Tip: I thought from the website that all rooms had kitchens...not true.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
GMDaysInnVic, General Manager at Days Inn - Victoria on the Harbour, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. It appears that our customer service was not at our Days Inn standard during, and after, your stay and I apologize. I will be investigating the situation further, but in the meantime, please know that we do our utmost to have our guests comfortable during their stay – whether it’s getting maintenance to the room to fix a drain or other amenities, including conditioner, toothbrushes, earplugs, combs, etc, available for our guests at the desk. I hope you have received your camera now, which should have been sent much more promptly then it was – definitely a unique situation. Thank you again for taking the time to post this review – we’re very happy to hear that you will stay with us again!