“Very good value! Hardworking staff.”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Being a former contributor for a Lifestyle magazine in Asia, criticism & travel are two words that are not new to me. As a frequent traveller, I would only stay in hotels that I am member of, that has personalize service above the norm. But since it was my husband's birthday, I wanted to stay away from the usual hotel chains since I wanted the more romantic, intimate feel of boutique hotels. After much contemplating, I decided to heed my friend's advice to try Magnolia Hotel and Spa. I was a bit hesitant with some of the reviews but in spite, I decided to give it a try.

My verdict - The GM and everyone at the hotel did not disappoint us. We were greeted with friendly faces, clean , high-ceiling spacious room, gorgeous view, big windows (i loved it!) & were provided with aveda products for toiletries. Even my husband got an extra treat , a box of chocolate for the birthday man with a personal note from the staff of the hotel & spa. Dining was great too. Fast service, welcoming staff . The King crab appetizers is a must, both the crab cakes and the Alaskan king crab tempura. I had their fish on the menu as the main course which was equally good.

Why I gave it a 4/5 rate (well, it would have been a 4.5 star for me if there's such a rating) were because of two things. My husband mentioned his steak was a bit too salty. He also said the waiter didn't offer him any seasoning like pepper even after he tasted it. Usually, he likes his steak with pepper on it. (I was only told after) But he still finished it so it must not be that bad.

Second reason was because of the spa service, good amenities, nice ambiance, greeted with friendly smiles but the RMT who handled me didn't use strokes needed for the areas I was sore. After doing a 3-hour yoga workshop with my yogi, I badly needed one. The RMT used kneading strokes with his arms (think Swedish massage) but I wanted Effleurage and friction strokes which is good if you want deep tissue massage. And yes- I did specify that. So I guess it's a matter of personal preference so make sure if you book for a appointment with their spa, mention clearly how you want your massage. And hopefully, you'll get a good one.

Would I go back & recommend the hotel and the restaurant, a big yes. As for the Spa, I think i will stick to my usual RMT :)

On a lighter note, I was keen to observe that all the staff , from the concierge, the front desk staff, the room attendant, the waiter, basically everyone there gave the hotel an atmosphere that they love their job. They were hardworking, and good at what they do. It's always nice to stay in hotels that give you that feeling.

Lastly, a special thank you to the GM and the staff for the box of chocolates for my husband's birthday. The little things that made our stay different from the norm.

3  Thank LonelyPTraveller
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2011

Thanks for the lovely and detailed review LonelyPTraveller.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your visit and that all of our team had such a positive and personalized impact on your stay!

You're also truly welcome for the welcome and chocolates.
We all strive to deliver on all the little details, especially in the case of special occasions when we're made aware of them.

I truly appreciate your taking the time to share such lovely and detailed feedback about our boutique hotel.

I have forwarded my personal contact information, and would be pleased to be of assistance at any time. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 30 November 2011

My wife and I took 3 days and ran up to Victoria, and wanted to include some Spa activties with the getaway. Everything was perfect and our time together was made all the better thanks to the Magnolia Hotel.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms were a few dollars more. Being from the country city noise can be different, the 7th...
Reviewed 27 November 2011

The location was favourable to walk to Victoria's main attratctions and is right downtown. I would stay here rather than the Inner Harbour. The staff were consistently attentive and friendly; not world class but good. The details of the hotel were very good:

- aroma of spiced apple cider as you walk in - available for guests
- apple and chocolates in the room
- corkscrew and glasses, sink, fridge
- umbrella, robe and slippers
- high watt hair dryer
- Aveda products
- the spa attached to the hotel was good, my esthetician was great
- complimentary breakfast was fair

The room was very clean, the king bed very comfortable and overall was a very good experience.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank KatarinaAdventures
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We came up to Victoria to see the Opera and hit on a coldstreak!! The smell of the hot apple cider in the lobby welcomed us right away. Everyone was friendly and our room was great with a fireplace to keep warm! Dinner in the Prime was beautifully served. Will bring my mom up and will stay again!! Thanks for a great weekend!

Room Tip: ask the front desk for their recommendation, we loved our corner suite with a view of the harbour
2  Thank alkigirl1
MagnoliaHtl, Director of Sales at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2011

Dear Alkigirl1,

Thank you for your review, we love to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay! I am glad you enjoyed the hot apple cider - it wouldn't seem like Christmas here without it! The gas fireplaces in the Diamond Rooms are wonderful when it is cold out side.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you and your mom back!

Ronette Nyhan
Director of Sales

Reviewed 16 November 2011

We were in Victoria for a convention and chose the Magnolia because we had heard so many good things about it! We weren't disappointed. The room we stayed in had a fantastic view of the parliament buildings, and was very spacious and clean. Breakfast was included and was beyond our expectations for a continental breakfast. Staff was also very helpful and friendly. Definitely would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with a view to the water.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SherryTam
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2011

Thanks for your wonderful review SherryTam!

We're thrilled you enjoyed the view and your stay with us, and appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback.

We hope to see you back again soon,

Best Regards,

Reviewed 16 November 2011

Stayed here before the tourist season hit Victoria. Very nice hotel, spacious rooms, good breakfast. Wifi seemed to have excessive latency, but only affected us when we were trying to use VOIP app on phone. Otherwise, all services were top-rate and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank RobHep

Thank you Rob for your recent stay and review.
I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel top-rate!

You'll be pleased to hear that we've recently upgraded our wireless Internet system with stronger coverage and better speeds throughout the building. I hope you'll see a notable improvement on your next visit.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Our five night stay at the Magnolia Hotel & Spa was perfect in every way! We had a very spacious room with a very comfy king-sized bed and lots of pillows. Lovely touches each evening with covers turned down and chocolates at our bedside. We arrived early at the hotel upon arrival and staff offered to store our luggage while we walked and enjoyed the downtown area. Our room was ready upon our return with everything we could ever ask for. The Magnolia had even arranged to have a box of Roger's Chocolates and a greeting card placed in our room for my birthday! How sweet is that! Our stay in Victoria would not have been complete if it wasn't for the Magnolia Hotel & Spa. Excellent value for the dollar!

2  Thank Val Y

Thanks for the lovely review Val!

We truly appreciate your business, and I'm thrilled that you had a wonderful 5 night stay.
I'm also glad you enjoyed the chocolates, and the many little touches we strive for to make our boutique hotel special.

Thank you again!