“Our favorite hotel in Victoria!”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We go to Victoria often for recreation and relaxation. The Magnolia Hotel is our favorite - great staff, location, rooms, it's all fab! Highly recommend.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,844)

Reviewed 30 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at this nice hotel the night between 4th-5th March, 2012.

We arrived by coach and the BC ferry from Vancouver, and the walking distance to the hotel from the bus station in Victoria was max 5 minutes. The location of the hotel is superb, close to everything.

The first impression of the hotels exterior is a bit letdown, however the lobby is very nice, it is a very fine milieu indeed. As is the rest of the interior of the hotel as well.

We were very well and professionally welcomed by the kind staff at the front desk.
Our room, no. 406 - a large corner room at the 4th floor - was really great!
As well, the view was very enjoyable overlooking the Parliament (nicely enlightened during the nights) and part of the impressive exterior of the Hotel Grand Pacific in the inner harbour of Victoria).

The hotel restaurant serves a buffet breakfast every morning, which is included in the room rate. Very convenient and a good start of the day.

We had planned to continue the 5th March our travel from Victoria – Seattle onboard the Clipper Vacation Ferry. However, due to heavy wind the departure was cancelled, and we had to go “around” by coach + BC Ferry (the same as we arrived with when coming from Vancouver) + a long coach ride down to Seattle.

We would very much like to come back to Victoria (however, that should be during the summer season), and Magnolia Hotel would be our first choice even then!

Reviewed 29 March 2012

Beautiful room, great amemities, paper products could be higher quality (rough), breakfast was pretty good not fantastic.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

First of all I hope my experience is not typical, we stayed this past weekend Friday and Saturday night. I reserved online thru the hotels web site, I had to email the hotel twice to get a confirmation it took them more than 24 hours to contact me back and then I finally called them just to double check. My wife and I traveled with our daughter 7 and 5 and I had requested a quieter room as we would go to bed early. The first night was perfect our room over looked a bit of a commercial area and we could see a bit of the Empress and were facing Government street, we were happy with the room overall it was nice except the bathroom door wouldn't close properly and you had to lean on it quite hard as the top of the door was rubbing the jamb - no big deal so we didn't complain as we did not come to Victoria to stay in the bathroom. The second night we got to hear the loud music coming from the pub on Government street from about 9:00 pm to 1:00 am what a treat ! I love live bands and would have liked to sit in the pub with my wife listening to the music but not the thump,thump thump coming thru my 5'th floor window for 4 hours. Next time if we go back I would ask for a room not facing that direction. This Hotel is in a perfect location and the hotel staff are super friendly - We made use of the valet parking service and did not use the unlimited in and out privileges, walking all over the downtown core and to the parliament buildings. It was so nice with a couple of young kids to be able to stop in at our room to relax a bit before heading back out again. We had a very nice trip and just adore Victoria we will likely give this hotel another shot as the things I had a problem with were very minor but I found them To add up so i decided to post them, The best part of the stay had to be the deluxe continental breakfast, i almost skipped it thinking it would be a basket of muffins and coffee and juice. we ate so much the first morning that we did not need to eat dinner until 5:00 pm - Speaking of dinner we had anticipated trying out the restaurant (Prime) but decided against it on both nights when peaking in at 7:00 pm there were just two couples inside Saturday night, having read the reviews we a bit concerned with our kids that it might not be a good idea. We received two vouchers for hotel services a value of $25 each towards any hotel service or items from the mini bar, which I used towards the 2 nights valet parking when we checked out I tried to get my wife to use the day spa but she declined. All in all for the price we payed I am very happy the glitches although minor added up and i could not give a perfect score.

Room Tip: I would call the hotel after making an online reservation ans specifically asked for a room not faci...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank mehoo
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

I appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with us. I am truly sorry that there were several aspects which didn't meet your expectations. I am glad that we were able to correspond following your review, and our entire team looks forward to having you back for another visit with us.

Best Wishes,

Bill Lewis
The Magnolia Hotel & Spa
Victoria's Luxury Spa Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 28 March 2012

When we arrived & parked our car right in front of the Hotel, no Conciege was there. We helped ourselves with the luggages. When we’re inside the Lobby, we’re immediately greeted by 3 people, but again, none offered their help seeing us dragging our luggages. (We mentioned this in our after-stay survey and the GM was prompt in offering his apology. I hope if we have the chance to go to Victoria & decide to stay with this Hotel again, this situation will not happen any more.)

We’re automatically upgraded to a higher floor, directly facing the Fairmont Empress Hotel, & we could even see a little bit of the Harbour.

The room’s elegantly furnished. There were 3 bottles of water, 3 green apples & 3 green leaf-shaped chocolates waiting, which was extremely welcomed. The room has an abundant supply of amenities, including very comfortable disposable slippers, which were rarely seen in North American hotels nowadays. I just wished they could also supply toothbrushes and toothpaste, which I happened to have forgotten.

The Hotel also provided turn-down service, and there were another 3 dark-green leaf-shape chocolates. Loved them.

The bed was very comfortable, though a little bit too soft for my liking.

The Hotel is conveniently located very close to the Fairmont Empress Hotel and the shopping areas. Valet parking was $20+tax. Internet was free, and so was breakfast, though the quality is just so-so.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Book early to enjoy the 30/30 rate, or the Hotel website has various promotions available.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed for 3 days at the Magnolia Hotel while visiting our daughter, a U of Vic student. As there are few options close to the university, we settled on a downtown location. For the money, it was an excellent hotel. The corner room, 506, was very spacious and inviting, the staff was consistently friendly and helpful, the atmosphere comfortable and elegant. The bed was decent, shower great. All for a very affordable price. Can't really ask for anything more.

Room Tip: Try the corner rooms looking out to the Legislature.
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Every time I come to Victoria, I stay at the Magnolia. Great customer service! They have hot apple cider during winter months and free continental breakfast for customers. Their gym and business center is open 24 hrs and the steakhouse, Prime, is divine! I had the filet with peppercorn sauce with mac and cheese. I'm hungry writing this review. By, the way, you can smell the aroma of aged steak from your room in the evening time.

They have turn down service every night and put 2 chocolate leaves by your bedside. The beds are so comfortable and warm. Water pressure is great in the showers and they give Aveda products to use. If your room is not ready they will bring your luggage up and give you a complimentary bottle of wine made from BC. The only negative is their slow WIFI in the room!! It's complimentary but does not work well.

Overall, i highly recommend this hotel. I just wish I could get off work earlier to try out their spa. My co-workers say it's one of the best in town!

Lastly, the location is walking distance to the wharf, bars, restaurants, the mall (The Bay) etc.

You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jezzica23
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Jezzica,

Thanks for the great review. We're thrilled to have you as a regular guest and can't wait to welcome you back.

We are working on our Wireless Internet to investigate the problem on speed. We had our system upgraded in November of last year, and will rectify any speed issues. Reliable complimentary internet is a key hotel feature, and we will ensure our guests can count on this.

Thanks for the kind words on the Mac N' Cheese and food in Prime. The Mac is a staff favourite, so we couldn't agree more!

We look forward to welcoming you back, and if I can be of personal service at any time please email me at gm@magnoliahotel.com.

Bill Lewis