“Above and beyong”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We were looking for a relatively decent priced hotel to stay at that would make us feel comfortable. The staff and service was above and beyond what we expected for the price we payed. Everything was wonderful! Rooms were clean, food was delicious, room service was very fast. The only complaint I would have is we got a room on the 3rd floor and had a view of a roof right outside our room. Next time, we will pay more for a higher floor.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a much nicer view but the location of the hotel is in the heart of everything!

Reviewed 1 April 2012

We have stayed in the Magnolia many times over the years. I think that it is a perfect example for other hotels to follow. Our latest stay was excellent - though we have experienced Excellent+ in the past.

Unbeatable Aspects:

Service: Very well trained and friendly staff. They gave us very early check-in.
Location : Perfect for Victoria to see all the touristy stuff
Decor : Great attention to detail and in very good shape and visually appealing.
Breakfast: Served in a nice space and covers most tastes. Coffee is good.
Rooms: Spacious and comfy - a pleasure to be in. Beds provided deep sleeps.
Nice touches : Like chocolates and turn-down service. Piano player in the lobby for a few hours on Saturday morning. Ladies enjoyed the Spa.
Great Value Overall. A three star hotel with four star pedigree.

Very small glitches that precluded Excellent+ this time:

- missed having warm cider in the lobby - nice for wet days.
- The breakfast could have a little more variety
- Wifi was a little overloaded and boggy.
- Hallways were a little chilly

Overall:

Well thought out and well executed. Varies from Excellent to Excellent+. The boutique side actually 'fits' the Victoria tourist experience very well.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TBone_CA
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Thank you TBone for your review following your recent stay with us.

I truly appreciate all the kind words about the little touches you enjoyed during your stay, as well as the constructive feedback about the points you felt could be improved. We truly appreciate all feedback, and strive to meet your description of Excellent + with every visit.

With respect to the warm cider, we typically have the lobby cider from approximately November until February. I apologize for it not being there during your recent visit. It has been a cold damp winter in Victoria, and warm drinks are always a nice treat coming in from the cold and wet. I do hope you enjoyed the coffee and tea in the lobby which is always there.

Thank you again for your wonderful feedback.
We appreciate your business and hope to see you back again soon!

If I can be of personal assistance at any time, please let me know.

Best Wishes,

Bill Lewis
The Magnolia Hotel & Spa
VIctoria's Luxury Spa Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Great location - walking distance of everything. On a non-busy street, safe at night. Rooms are beautiful and spacious. Love that there is free breakfast and that it's very tasty!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We go to Victoria often for recreation and relaxation. The Magnolia Hotel is our favorite - great staff, location, rooms, it's all fab! Highly recommend.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at this nice hotel the night between 4th-5th March, 2012.

We arrived by coach and the BC ferry from Vancouver, and the walking distance to the hotel from the bus station in Victoria was max 5 minutes. The location of the hotel is superb, close to everything.

The first impression of the hotels exterior is a bit letdown, however the lobby is very nice, it is a very fine milieu indeed. As is the rest of the interior of the hotel as well.

We were very well and professionally welcomed by the kind staff at the front desk.
Our room, no. 406 - a large corner room at the 4th floor - was really great!
As well, the view was very enjoyable overlooking the Parliament (nicely enlightened during the nights) and part of the impressive exterior of the Hotel Grand Pacific in the inner harbour of Victoria).

The hotel restaurant serves a buffet breakfast every morning, which is included in the room rate. Very convenient and a good start of the day.

We had planned to continue the 5th March our travel from Victoria – Seattle onboard the Clipper Vacation Ferry. However, due to heavy wind the departure was cancelled, and we had to go “around” by coach + BC Ferry (the same as we arrived with when coming from Vancouver) + a long coach ride down to Seattle.

We would very much like to come back to Victoria (however, that should be during the summer season), and Magnolia Hotel would be our first choice even then!

Reviewed 29 March 2012

Beautiful room, great amemities, paper products could be higher quality (rough), breakfast was pretty good not fantastic.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

First of all I hope my experience is not typical, we stayed this past weekend Friday and Saturday night. I reserved online thru the hotels web site, I had to email the hotel twice to get a confirmation it took them more than 24 hours to contact me back and then I finally called them just to double check. My wife and I traveled with our daughter 7 and 5 and I had requested a quieter room as we would go to bed early. The first night was perfect our room over looked a bit of a commercial area and we could see a bit of the Empress and were facing Government street, we were happy with the room overall it was nice except the bathroom door wouldn't close properly and you had to lean on it quite hard as the top of the door was rubbing the jamb - no big deal so we didn't complain as we did not come to Victoria to stay in the bathroom. The second night we got to hear the loud music coming from the pub on Government street from about 9:00 pm to 1:00 am what a treat ! I love live bands and would have liked to sit in the pub with my wife listening to the music but not the thump,thump thump coming thru my 5'th floor window for 4 hours. Next time if we go back I would ask for a room not facing that direction. This Hotel is in a perfect location and the hotel staff are super friendly - We made use of the valet parking service and did not use the unlimited in and out privileges, walking all over the downtown core and to the parliament buildings. It was so nice with a couple of young kids to be able to stop in at our room to relax a bit before heading back out again. We had a very nice trip and just adore Victoria we will likely give this hotel another shot as the things I had a problem with were very minor but I found them To add up so i decided to post them, The best part of the stay had to be the deluxe continental breakfast, i almost skipped it thinking it would be a basket of muffins and coffee and juice. we ate so much the first morning that we did not need to eat dinner until 5:00 pm - Speaking of dinner we had anticipated trying out the restaurant (Prime) but decided against it on both nights when peaking in at 7:00 pm there were just two couples inside Saturday night, having read the reviews we a bit concerned with our kids that it might not be a good idea. We received two vouchers for hotel services a value of $25 each towards any hotel service or items from the mini bar, which I used towards the 2 nights valet parking when we checked out I tried to get my wife to use the day spa but she declined. All in all for the price we payed I am very happy the glitches although minor added up and i could not give a perfect score.

Room Tip: I would call the hotel after making an online reservation ans specifically asked for a room not faci...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank mehoo
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

I appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with us. I am truly sorry that there were several aspects which didn't meet your expectations. I am glad that we were able to correspond following your review, and our entire team looks forward to having you back for another visit with us.

Best Wishes,