“Wonderfully unique!”

Ranked #56 of 93 Victoria B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderfully unique!”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Right from the beginning, Amethyst Inn provided us with a warm welcome and loads of local information to make our trip memorable. Carlson was a genuine host who is always smiling and took interest in our travels and stories. Breakfasts were delicious and the dining room is beautiful, as is the rest of the house, so well taken care of. The neighbourhood is lovely, and a walk, or quick bus into downtown is easy.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KIMnGREG13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
canada
Reviewed 23 July 2011

My husband and I travel extensively but have never received such wonderful service as we experienced at the Amethyst Inn. The historic house is beautiful , but the staff are exceptional. Every morning we had a gourmet breakfast which was substantial enough to satisfy us until dinnertime. Carlson was the ultimate concierge and host, he made our stay so pleasant we opted for another 2 nights. Secure parking in the beautiful grounds (at no cost, unusual in Victoria) allowed us to leave our rental car, safe and secure while we explored downtown on foot. I look forward to our next visit !

Room Tip: You will be happy with any of the rooms, they are all unique but equally wonderful
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sallyemoore
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2011

True to there pictures, it was a beautiful victorian house. Service was above and beyond our expectations. We had our wedding in the parlor with family and friends. Couldn't ask for anything more. It was perfect!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
sparta, new jersey
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Fabulous Victorian home located in a lovely,convenient area of the city. Breakfasts are amazing and elegant. The very personable manager offered many great recommendations and worked hard to make our stay an enjoyable one.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2011

I came to Victoira for an conference meeting for 2 days. I normally dont stay in B&B but my colleague find here online and talk me into staying here.
We emailed and called which took a while to get a final qoute with the date and final pirce we asked.
We was told the inn is under new ownership now and was closed for 3 months for renos. And now they just opened , luckily we are the first customers they had!! We booked a cheaper room but was upgraded the suite because the inn was empty.
The new owner gave me 15% disscount on their reg rate. They are humble nice people I did enjoy their company during the best B&B breakfast served I've seen.
The inn is surrounded by mansions, fireplaces with Minton's tiles, ceiling rosettes, and original ceiling and wallpapers.....different but great experience for us.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank BrettPeterson
Milton Keynes, England
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Just read another review which says it is now closed, but I'll leave my review anyway.

We stayed here for one night in mid September as part of our honeymoon. We paid for one of the cheaper rooms but on arrival the welcoming hostess offered us a free upgrade as her more expensive room was vacant. So that was a good start. However, that was the high point of our stay. On the surface, the hotel seemed to look in good condition and well presented. However, as you look more closely you start to notice the problems. Just little things really but it is beginning to show its age. One major problem I had was the shower. It was over a bath, but the bath was a free standing one. So as a result there was a shower curtain all the way round it. The problem with this is that where the taps are, they had just cut the shower curtain, which meant water leaked down the back of the bath. Their solution? Throw an old mouldy towel down the back of the bath to collect the spillage and hope nobody notices it. It wasn't nice.

Another issue I had was with the jet baths. Our room didn't have one, which didn't bother me to be honest. But the one above our bed in the room upstairs did. It literally shook our room when it was being used. Very annoying at 1145 at night and at 7am in the morning.

My final moaning - when we came down for breakfast we were sat at a table set out for 4. Shortly after another couple came down and the hostess sat them at the table with us. I was literally rubbing elbows with a stranger. Although this wouldn't be a problem for some, I think all of us felt quite awkward. The hostess knew how many people were in the hotel, and had even asked us to say when we would be coming down for breakfast. There was plenty of empty tables (that weren't set) so I don't see why she couldn't have set tables for each group of people. It just felt lazy to me.

One suggestion for the new owners - wireless internet would be nice.

Overall, this place needs an update if it is to continue to get good reviews like it has in the past. However, this would be limited to superficial changes so I think it could be easily done. Good luck to the new owners.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MWest11
W. Hartford, CT
Reviewed 27 September 2010

The owners have sold this inn and closed it as of the end of September. The new owners are not sure what they will do with the inn. So for now, you can no longer stay at this inn.
The inn was clean and nicely decorated, and the breakfasts were excellent. We found the bathrooms quite odd and not up to our standards for the price paid. There was no mirror over the sink and the lighting was so poor that it was difficult to apply makeup. There was a tub with a faucet connected shower and while it worked ok, we would have preferred a normal shower.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple