“Tasty and Friendly”

Ranked #109 of 1,245 Restaurants in Victoria
Price range: US$12 - US$22
Cuisines: Tibetan
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Tibetan Kitchen is Owner/Chef operated, established since 2008. Located in the heart of downtown Victoria, Tibetan Kitchen owner and Chef Pemba and staff work hard to bring the best food to your table. One of a kind curries are made from dairy free ingredients but with rich cashew paste, which is house ground with aeromatic spices. Food is made from scratch, including stocks made from local free range chicken. Lots of Vegeterian and Vegan options are offered. Born and brought up in North East India in a Tibetan family Pemba came to Canada in 2006 after working 12 years in the hotel and F&B Departments while working for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. Pemba and her staff strive to to go above and beyond to satisfy her customers by serving only the best food with a smile. Menu is kept small and simple so it can be perfected, dining room is very simple with zen type of soft music at the background. Local wine and beer on tap are also served. Please come and enjoy food cooked with love.
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I have had both lunch and dinner at the Tibetan Kitchen Cafe. The place is warm and cozy and the staff so welcoming. The food is home made and tasty with authentic flavours I have tasted in Nepal where there are many Tibetan people. The moms are huge and also delicious. On one occasion I was with a vegan friend and she too was suitably impressed with the quality of the food. They have a home made spicy pickle which is delicious and hot! Will have to try the Thupka soup one day,,, they look awesome.

1  Thank LilCKTM

Reviewed March 5, 2012

I had lunch with a friend and my meal was very good. I had the veggie curry and was very impressed with the presentation and cost. The meal came with a serving of dahl and rice as well as two nan/roti type breads. All together it was more than enough food to satisfy me for lunch and the flavour was very good. The curry was requested medium in heat and I was satisfied with the match. The meal was nicely presented and the server was friendly and helpful when asked about ingredients (my friend has allergies to nuts). I would definitely return and try something else, although that will be tough as my meal was really enjoyable. A great flavourful filling lunch for $10 plus tax/tip is a winner in my books!

1  Thank Larmoss
Reviewed February 11, 2012

We've had lunch and dinner at the Tibetan Cafe several times now. The menu is not extensive, but concentrates on relatively few, well-made, dishes. It's by and large Indian, usually with 3 to 5 curries (usually chicken,salmon, beef, pork, vegetarian) to choose from, as well as various other dishes. You have a choice of white rice or flavouful basmati. Most dishes are seved with rich mini-naan or roti. The food is simply made, but very flavourful and very good. The staff are extremely friendly, efficient and seem to enjoy their work a great deal. Definitely not a place that is out for the come-once-only tourist trade but is there for Victorians. Highly recommended.

Reviewed February 7, 2012

I have gone to this restaurant for years - before it was only window service in Market Square, run by one lady. She used to get annoyed when I would try and take the food to eat at my desk. It is best HOT!
I am thrilled that she has opened up a full restaurant, and the food quality hasn't suffered for the expansion. This is great, made from scratch, fantastic flavour. The hot sauce is to die for. The momos are amazing. Sadly further from my office. :)

Reviewed January 13, 2012

I'll cut right to the chase. I've eaten a lot of curry in my day, and the chicken curry here is the best I've had in over a decade — since, in fact, I ate at the top curry restaurant in Tokyo. Curry restaurants have often been accused of using spice to mask inferior ingredients, but this particular restaurant uses locally harvested free-range chicken and stays away from larding their fare with butter. Downtown Victoria now has two fabulous curry joints — the other being the Bengal Room at the Empress Hotel — but Tibetan Kitchen goes one step further than its more famous (and expensive) competitor. This is a place to enjoy!