“Charming Oak Bay Bistro”
Review of Vis-a-Vis

Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Hampshire
Description: With a "face-to-face" mentality, Vis a Vis is a personalized and engaging experience. With front row seats, you are able to interact with our Bartender & Charcutier while sipping on a glass of wine, locally crafted beer or a signature cocktail
Reviewed August 16, 2017

We had lunch/brunch here three times during our recent Victoria visit. Delightful service, decent prices and tasty bites. We loved the outdoor patio area. The interior is also beautifully appointed, a lovely bar area and even the washroom was a step above. A very charming Oak Bay bistro, fun and tasty.

Reviewed August 13, 2017

This was a jewel of a find recommended by Diana at the Villa Marco Polo where we stayed. Thank you, because the food, atmosphere and bartender (Shawn) were spot on!

Reviewed August 4, 2017

It was my 3rd anniversary with my awesome fiance and every year, I try to find a new restaurant to try out. I heard about Vis a Vis by way of a commercial. I promptly checked on line as to what their menu was and the minute I saw it, I knew we had to give it a try.

Overall, we were both pleasantly surprised. I have to say that the tables were VERY close together so not exactly ideal for a romantic dinner out. Plus the tables were very small so they felt very cluttered. The couple beside us had put their candle on our table and by the time our wine and appetizer came, we had move that candle as well as ours over to the next table. I think taking out one table from the seating plan and decluttering the table tops would go a long way to enhancing the experience.

We started our dinner with the cheese and charcuterie plate. It was excellent. Usually when we order plates like that, we always run out of crackers/bread but Vis a Vis served just the right amount. The meats were flavourful and the cheeses were well paired. I'm not a fan of blue cheese so that was waster a bit on me.

Onto our main course...he had the duck confit risotto and I had the fish du jour special (salmon, brussel sprout slaw and confit potatoes). Unfortunately, since I don't like mushrooms, there was little for me to choose from the menu without asking them to make an adjustment as over half the dishes seemed to have mushrooms in them in some form. My fiance said the risotto was excellent and I had absolutely no complaints about my salmon.

I was a bit concerned that the service would be bad (as that seems to be a theme with the other reviews of this restaurant), but our server was very good, very attentive and really nice. There were a few times when we didn't see her for a while but as we were in no hurry, we were OK with a few minutes undisturbed.

Our parting thoughts were that we need to go back as there are quite a few things on the menu that we want to try. Thank you for a lovely anniversary dinner!

1  Thank Kathryn B
Reviewed July 22, 2017

This place may be OK for some things during the day when it is not busy, or outdoors. But do not go expecting fine or even good food. What they serve is pub food made in the same kitchen as the pub next door. That would be OK, except they charge higher prices. We went for dinner and ate inside. It was extremely full and busy, and painfully LOUD because it has a lot of reflective surfaces and nothing sound-absorbent. Be prepared to shout to make yourself heard. The staff don't care about the food. We ordered the charcuterie plate as our appetizer, which has excellent meats on it, but it was served very cold, right from a refrigerator, which killed all the flavour. Clearly, no-one there cares. We also had the so-called boeuf bourguignon, which was in fact just a rather poor beef stew that I'd serve to a dog. Price: around 150 with bottle of wine and tip, for quite an awful experience. We are never going back.

2  Thank Kenneth B
Nancy S, General Manager at Vis-a-Vis, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2017

Kenneth,

I am truly sorry about your experience the other evening. It is a very loud place when full. We are looking to pad the chairs to help with the acoustics but of course that did not help your experience the other evening.
We do different food than the Penny side and we strive to offer fresh homemade products using great local products. Unfortunately your meal did not refelect the usual care we take.
I am sorry and disappointed that your meal did not live up to the standards we try for.
Please accept my apologies,
If you have any additional feedback please send to me at nstewart@vicpubco.ca

Reviewed July 17, 2017

I haven't seen the commercial, but my mother said Vis a Vis lived up to it! Lovely wine list, nice choice of menu items, great ambiance.