All reviewsnational car rentalroom was cleannight on the townbus routesclose to downtownno elevatorwould stay here againshort staystayed here for two nightsthe staff was friendly and helpfula great place to stayeasy accesswalking distanceenjoyed our stayconvenient locationlobbylinens
Reviewed November 3, 2016

We booked two rooms on the phone and it was more or less what we expected.We were at the far end on the lower level and the one room was quite large with a comfortable king size bed and the other was a fair bit smaller with all the same furniture so it was kind of cramped. The bathrooms were huge with a nice sized bath and separate large shower. I think they had been recently renovated. Our room was quiet but had a view of a large rental truck as they are also a rental place. The second room was noisier as it was on the parking lot side. No elavator but it is only a two storey. No on site restaurant but several close by. Overall a solid three and well priced. We would stay there again. Check out Spoons across the street for a retro diner experience.

Stayed: October 2016
ArbutusInn, Manager at Arbutus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2016

Hello Gord R,
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read that you and your group enjoyed your stay at the Arbutus Inn. Also great you mention the tip of Spoons across the street. The feedback of guest going there usually always very positive and the value is also great. We look forward to seeing you as a guest again in the future.

Reviewed October 4, 2016

I booked a room for a few nights. At the time of booking went smoothly accept I left my credit card behind. But the lady express VISA DEBIT was acceptable it would take about five business days to return the deposit to the account. I was okay with this and used it. after 5 business days and no money returned, I called to follow up. A gentleman answered and said there was a sign and it will take 5-6 weeks for the money to be returned. I explained, I never did see this sign and would be good to go over those rules properly before taking the card. He assured me at that money always gets returned. I asked him well what happens if it doesn't? He said he is "just employee and cannot help" then he hung up without curiosity to say goodbye.
5 Weeks later I called back, get the same gentleman. Told him I still have not received the money. This time he looked me up on the system and told me on the phone. Yes the money was returned and it is my banks issue. I go to my bank and they said no, there is nothing they can do expect for an investigation. I called a 3 time, and spoke to a lady who actually reviewed my account and she said, "oh yes we do owe you money. please come in for the refund."
I go to the counter and there was the gentleman I didn't want to assume it was the same person I was speaking to but when I started to explain the situation, he said, I am just an employee, nothing I can do.

I rarely write reviews and when I do it is usually positive but this "employee" left a sour taste in my mouth. I will never stay there again. And this "Sign" he said there was, was on the very end of the counter covered by other general reading material. not easily seeable for anyone booking their stay.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
ArbutusInn, Manager at Arbutus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2016

Hello Jackie E.
Thank you for your feedback. We am so sorry to ready the troubles you had in getting back your deposit. Usually there is never a problem with the return of any deposit. The Visa Debit card refunds sometime do take a long time once we release the funds and we do mention this at check in and also with the notice posted at the front desk.
When we looked into why the refund was not done for you we eventually figured out that your name was not on the reservation. Your name only came up on a side note in the Expedia reservation that you were going to be paying for the deposit. It would not show up on the actual room folio when staff would try and locate it. That was part of the reason the staff was having issues with trying to find your reservation because your name was not the actual name on the reservation. The details of a reservations from Expedia given to us are limited and these details go right into our reservation system and then we assign a room to the room type you selected. In the end I am very glad to see that you did get back your refund and I hope that your guest still managed to have a great time while in Victoria.

Reviewed September 30, 2016 via mobile

Way cheaper than most in Victoria. Pretty close to downtown. Rooms are clean but stuffy. The air conditioner helped. No bugs or pests. Close to a lot of good restaurants. Staff was friendly and helpful but the hotel had few amenities. I gave a three because it's just ok, nothing other than the price made me think good or great.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Warren K
ArbutusInn, Manager at Arbutus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2016

Hello Warren K
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor....We appreciate your feedback.
Thank you again and we hope you enjoyed your time in Victoria.

Reviewed September 24, 2016

The bed was great king awesome.. the staff was non existent...no place in hotel where to get a coffee just a kettle and an instant coffee yuks! the air conditioner was rambling like a russian plane...I tried to open the window but being ground floor I had to close it -didn't want any over night "guest"

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family

Hello Alina P,
Thank you for your feedback. We do have staff on the front desk 24 hours a day. Perhaps at the time you came to the desk the staff were helping out another guest at the time with luggage or even assistance to their room. Thank you for staying with us and we do appreciate your feedback. All the best in your travels and we hope you enjoyed your time in Victoria.

Reviewed September 15, 2016 via mobile

The Arbutus Inn doesn't look like much on the outside, but the inside makes up for it. The staff was helpful and accommodating, the room clean and very quiet, and the beds comfortable. The shower had a good shower head and plenty of hot water, and the wifi was strong. Our only dislike: no elevator -- but only one floor up or down, so not so bad. All in all, nice for the price.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
ArbutusInn, Manager at Arbutus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2016

Dear Patti W,
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We are happy to read that you had a nice time staying with us at the Arbutus Inn. All the best in your travels and we look forward to having you as a guest again in the future.