“Our best place for Dim Sum and special occasions”

Golden City Restaurant
Ranked #305 of 1,209 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 21 July 2017

This is our best place for Dim Sum in Victoria. We usually go there with our friends, or when we don't know what to do with our old-age pension money. It was recommended to us by our Chinese friends as the most authentic Dim Sum selection in Victoria. Several kinds of steamed dumplings, rice rolls, and hot pots. Don't be afraid to order one of the two beef tripe dishes or well spiced chicken feet.
Golden City Restaurant also caters for larger groups. Our South Vancouver Mycological Society (SVIMS) goes there for the annual mushroom dinner every spring. The special menu features at least seven courses, each of them with various kinds of mushrooms. In our group of about 50 mushroom lovers and their friends we have several people with special dietary needs, but the restaurant was always ready to adjust their meals to accommodate those special needs.

There are newer reviews for Golden City Restaurant

Reviewed 5 July 2017

Went here before an event at the Memorial Arena. The egg foo young was among the best I've had. We made a reservation but it wasn't needed on the first or second visit. Would definitely go here again.

Reviewed 4 June 2017

Went to GC with friends who apparently go all the time. I was looking forward to trying it out after having read the reviews but I have to say it was a bit of a disappointment. The lettuce wraps were good but most other dishes were kind of bland. I feel that if we had selected more authentic dishes rather than more run of the mill it could have been a bit better. I probably won't return, not because it was necessarily bad but more because there are other restaurants I want to try.

Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

Good food, reasonable price, location is convenient, the restaurant is clean. excellent service. Next time would like to eat again.

Reviewed 14 March 2017

Was out with family and decided at the last minute to go for dim sum. We've been here in the past just because we had dim sum cravings! The bad - arrived to a fairly long line in the foyer. The person at the front barely even took notice of patrons coming in and didn't bother getting their info. Luckily I'm asian and I know 'the asian way' so got her attention and asked how long. 20 minutes - ok but she didn't take my name or give me a number. I had to ask for a number. Mean while, other 'regular' patrons were being seated before waiting guest (no reservations - I could understand their mandarin). Other new patrons came in and she did the same thing - no name, no number. I was being nice so I told the nice couple they need to ask for a number.

Food was at best (and as usual) ok. I've never had such 'large' sui mai in my life - and this is not a compliment! Dishes did come out quickly. $84 for a family of 4 (2 kids under 6). If I lived anywhere else than Victoria, (e.g. Toronto) I could get the same meal (10X better) and half the price.

Like with many chinese restaurant you have to be aggressive getting your seat and getting service.

2  Thank Julian L