“I Kind of hate to review this one!”
Review of Fishhook

Fishhook
Ranked #8 of 1,285 Restaurants in Victoria
Price range: US$8 - US$18
Cuisines: French, Indian, Seafood
Reviewed April 25, 2016

Because it already is insanely popular. And it is not very big, so I don't want to make it so popular I cant get in! But that is because the food is amazing. Everything on the menu is the most unique flavour experience you will ever have with seafood or with curry. It is all seafood, and everything has eastern (Indian) influenced spices. Also everything is available as Gluten -free, even the open faced sandwiches piled high with delicious combinations of seafood and unique sauces.

The Vindaloo mussels are unquestionably the best tasting mussels I have ever had, even though I've previously thought they were wonderful in places like France and Italy! These are better! Fish is always cooked exactly to perfection never overcooked and always enhanced with a spice combination that is unlike anything you might have tried elsewhere! I just hope they can maintain the standard as the place inevitably expands!

Reviewed April 25, 2016 via mobile

I visited this restaurant on Apr 24 for dinner with my S.O. First, I'd recommend making a reservation. We walked in to other people waiting but we were seated at our reservation time before the others.

The place is small and cozy; similar to a lot of craft beer markets or trendy boutique restaurants, reminding me of Commercial Drive in Vancouver. There's seating for 7-10 couples plus a bigger table for groups, so I can only assume if there's any sort of rush, there will be a wait.

So to discuss value quickly... I'm usually a big eater which is why I stay away from boutique restaurants, but this filled me up and was a very good value for the price. I base that opinion on portions, taste and flavour, quality of ingredients, and ambience of the restaurant.

Now on to the food! Simply... It was amazing. Being from the Lower Mainland I've had my share of fusion and exciting cuisine. Some of the combinations were so creative and bold, it was interesting to taste some seemingly strange combinations actually turn out to be a great match up!

We ordered The Cure, the Shrimp toast, the salmon pakora, the chowder and a green salad plus 2 drinks. As always, it's probably wise to weight the option of getting 2 more food items or saving the money, instead of the 2 x $9 drinks that we got which were probably the only average part of the meal.

The chowder was very good. It had a spice (cayenne) melded with the sweetness of a coconut broth and bit of smokiness from the salmon. The cure was an amazing combination of salmon lox, herbed spread and some pickled garnishes on a nice light toast. Decent sizes for about $7-$12 depending on which one you get (there were 4 or 5 to choose from).

The shrimp toast was so freaking good! I would give my left arm to get that recipe! Kind of a sweet, Indian, spicy, shrimp on toast. There was a flavour that we were trying to figure out, and kept thinking it was horseradish, but eventually narrowed it down to wasabi. The fact that the taste was just hiding in the back hanging out, but wasn't prominent shows the skill of the menu designers here.

Although they called it Salmon Pakora, I don't know if I'd call it pakora. Being from Surrey I've had my share of the stuff and this was just lightly battered and fried salmon. This is just semantics though... It was still very good. An unexpected awesome surprise was the mint sauce that comes to dip the pakora in. It was by far one of the best sauces I've ever had and I commented to the waitress that I'll take a gallon to go! It was just incredible. A sweet creamy, thick, yet light and not overpowering mint sauce... Daaaaamn... I'd put that on everything if I could buy it in bulk.

For two, the bill was $63, although we had 2 drinks so a couple can probably eat for $55 after tip if they don't get drinks. Pretty reasonable considering you can end up with a similar tab at a chain restaurant such as White Spot or Red Robin and the food isn't even in the same ballpark.

Overall, I'd recommend the Fishhook to anybody, and I'd go back and try the things I didn't get. There was an entrees menu which we didn't get anything from as we figured it would be a better sampling of offerings to get 5 x $10 items and share, rather than hit the $20 entrees, so next time we'll mix it up even more.

Hope this helps!

1  Thank Corvare
Reviewed April 24, 2016

Amazingly delicious seafood prepare with an Indian twist. May not be ideal if you don't like spicy food. Ordered spicy shrimp toast---the bread is toasted perfectly and the shrimp spicy and delicious. Also tried their briyani, lots of seafood with a beautiful piece of salmon. The chowder tasted more like sambar than "chowder". My least favorite item of the meal. Very reasonably priced, Gets packed---recommend reservation unless you go at 5:30 or earlier.

Reviewed April 21, 2016

Fresh, tasty, fun, and delicious!!! A very affordable and richly delicious meal for any time of day!

Reviewed April 21, 2016

What a neat small place in Victoria. The food is really good and well presented. When close to the sea, you wan to eat fresh fish; well their fish is fresh for sure. So much so that they don't print it on a paper menu but rather on a board on the wall so they can truly serve "catch of the day". The flavouring was different and excellent. It's a small unpretentious place, so you may want to reserve. Service is great, while a smile. If you like fish and you enjoy Indian cuisine, Fish Hook is your place.