“Good for a night, but if you really want fine service and comfort, try the Sheraton's.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sparkling Hill Resort

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Vernon, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

My husband and I had heard good things about this hotel, and decided to try it out on one of their promotional offers ($125.00/night + tax). The hotel is in a lovely, though secluded, area, with glass vistas most everywhere you look. If you aren't coming to hang out in the pools and saunas and buy treatments, there really isn't much else around to do in shoulder season. Down the road is Predator Ridge for golfing in the summer, and there are some trails around the hotel, but not too inviting if the weather is nasty, as it was while we were visiting. The rooms are beautiful, with floor to ceiling glass windows the entire length of the room. A lovely place to gaze even in bad weather.
We enjoyed the pools and steam rooms thoroughly, though the steam rooms don't open until 2:00 pm and become quite crowded on the weekend. One restaurant, one small cafe area, both expensive. You could head back in to Vernon (about a 20 min drive) to eat, but would cut in to your very limited time line between check in and check out.
We did eat dinner in the restaurant, and our meals were very good, $175.00 for entree and salad, inexpensive bottle of wine and gratuity. As mentioned in other reviews, the breakfast is wonderful.
The rooms are not very sound proof-fair gap between the the door and the floor. As a result you hear everything and everyone in the hallway. It was annoying, as some of the folks on our floor were loud in the hallways, obviously having a good time and moving from room to room with their group. Our main complaint was the bed itself. It was desperately in need of replacement, with a dip on my side, which kept rolling me back into one position. Certainly not what one would expect in a high end hotel. Definitely not a 'good sleep' night. We told the staff about the poor bed on check out, and they responded with a 'thanks for letting us know'. If I had been paying rack rate for this hotel, I would be very unhappy with the ratio of spend/quality. A few nights later we were in two of the Sheraton hotels in Vancouver, both had terrific beds, quiet soundproof rooms, and superior customer service.

8 Thank Freestylefamily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

My girlfriends and I were excited for a girls weekend away in a resort filled with Swarovski crystals and 7 different steam and sauna rooms. We left disappointed. We would not come back here as there are much better quality resorts around BC and AB for the price.

The main Swarovski areas are the chandeliers in the lobby. There is a small Swarovski panel and structure in each room. There are no Swarovski in the hallway or lounging areas.

We checked in around 11pm and were greeted by two very snobby men. They were grouchy and did not want to answer our questions such as, what can we use these fun fit vouchers for? The gentleman told us to ask the spa receptionist in the morning. When we said we didn't want to miss scheduled classes, the gentleman said there were no classes at the spa. In fact, the vouchers are for scheduled classes which occur only once during the day, such as, yoga, aquafit, meditation, and trails. You will receive these vouchers if you stay at least 2 nights.

One room had 3 girls so we asked for one more set of towels and when we opened the door to receive the towels, the gentleman shoved the towels at us and stalked off. He did not respond to our friendly hi and thank you. When we went to ask for our car (all valet service), he barked, what do you want now? Our car would be nice since there was nothing to do at the resort after 10pm.

The morning buffet was yummy, filled with fresh fruit, warm pastries, oatmeal, sausages, scrambled eggs, pancakes, smoked salmon, and cheese and meat platter. The service in the PeakFine varies. The service was lacking on Saturday morning as no one came to offer us coffee or tea and the service was terrific Sunday morning.

The rooms were reasonably clean with a few dusty areas. The memory foam mattresses were amazing! We had rooms facing the mountains and the view was gorgeous. Unfortunately rooms facing the mountains also meant facing the walking trails and the parking lot so we had to close all the curtains when we were showering (shower doors are glass with no frosting and directly faces the windows). I also soaked in the bathtub right next to the window wearing my bikini so if you're a couple wishing to use the double person bathtub without a suit, you may wish to upgrade for rooms facing the lake.

The steam and saunas were very relaxing. The ice room was consistently out of crushed ice so we did not have a chance for an "ice scrub". The people working in these areas were very friendly, helpful and enthusiastic; they brought us on tours voluntarily! The hours of operation are 2 - 10pm. I would have preferred an earlier opening hour.

The infinity pool is a little dirty but overlooks the lake and mountain so the view was absolutely gorgeous. The glass fence surrounding the pool and the windows in the saunas are all quite dirty though. This takes away from the view. We had a nice discussion with a couple from Italy thinking the exact same thing :)

There is nothing to do in Vernon. Perhaps two pubs were open on a Saturday night with most kitchens closing at 8pm.

Overall, we enjoyed the saunas, steam rooms, and the mattresses. The service was poor and the windows, ledges and certain areas were dirty.

We keep hearing world class resort, but I have stayed at many resorts and this one is second class. Google "hot springs" BC and AB and you will find better places to go.

As a side note - I left my charger in my room Sunday morning, called Sunday night and just received notice (after I called for the 5th time) that they found my charger. Apparently house keeping brings up lost and found items once every 3-4 days and the resort cannot ask house keeping directly to check rooms for lost items. For a world class resort I would expect more reliable service.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor (lobby is floor 0) and noise was reasonable. We could hear people talking...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Serafinna
Cochrane Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

This is a beautiful spa hotel billed as a "wellness retreat". We stayed there with our grandchildren so were not able to partake in some of the adult only offerings. The children were not allowed to use any of the pools. We booked the "good neighbours" package for Alberta and BC residents. It was an incredible buy considering it included an excellent buffet breakfast. We would consider going back on our own or I would book a ladies get away there. Every room is the same and all have huge lovely windows and crystals everywhere. The spa facilities are excellent. We used the hotel as a base for skiing at Silver Star. At the price we paid, there is nothing comparable in Vernon.

Room Tip: ALl rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Spent the weekend with my partner and it was absolutely spectacular. The room was beautiful, the staff incredibly friendly and helpful, and the spa and steam room completely melted away any stress I carried in there. The restaurant offered an excellent array of food and everything was absolutely delicious. I would return in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Get there as early as possible to enjoy the steam rooms and saunas as they do not open until 3 hours...
1 Thank Jessa J
Vernon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I have stayed here twice now and absolutely love it! The rooms are stunning, whether mountain or lake view. The spa is gorgeous, and the saunas, streamrooms and pools are all excellent as well! It's a great place to stay for a quiet relaxing night!

• Stayed March 2012
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

wow ...so not what I expected. The 'crystal' image is somewhat lame...just mostly the chandeliers...and crystal strips taped everywhere??? The whole place seems like its not completed yet(building) there's no WOW factor..it is so boring and plain...everywhere you go. They only have one restaurant and a coffee shop. The service for dinner is somewhat lacking when you have a big party...you put in room with no lakeview and service is minimal...you get to drink water for 20 min before anything. The rooms are somewhat decent, yet the layout is horrible as we were on the 'country view' side which included a view of the parking lot as well as the walking trails...so don't think about a bath as every person outside will see you in the room?? will never return or recommend as the price is so expensive for what you get...it's a joke!!!No upgrade was ever offered prior to our arrival and also noticed that most of their crystal chandeliers have webs in them as the dusting of the crystals looks like it's never been done-gross!!!! I'll save my money and time for other resorts/hotels that actually appreciate their customers. You also have to have a GPS with you as it's not easy to find. Good luck everyone!!

Room Tip: yes stay far from the hotel..there's better in Kelowna with better options and better price!
7 Thank traveltrio888
SparklingHillResort, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear traveltrio888,

We are sorry to hear that your experience did not live up to your expectations. Sparkling Hill prides itself on being a premiere destination throughout the year. Providing exceptional service at a world class resort is a very important part of the Sparkling Hill experience and we would like to apologize for what seems to have been a lapse in our practices. Seeing that your ratings for Rooms, Cleanliness and Sleep Quality are favourable, hopefully this experience will not sour your impression of Sparkling Hill indefinitely. If you would like to connect with us further, please find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for the latest news from Sparkling Hill.

Sparkling Hill Management
Kelowna, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I have read many of the reviews and realize that, at least on here, I am the minority.
My husband and I were really excited about our stay at the 'resort' and booked well in advance. We had already been on a tour of the resort months earlier.

Although you are welcome to use the facilities before and after your stay, I think that 4pm is a little late for check in time especially considering you must check out at 11am.

We booked our dinner for 6:30pm and went to the spa area right afterward. If you have an average appetite you will be disappointed with the portions, but the meal is presented beautifully. The meat portion was very small, but even the potatoes and veg wouldn't fill a baby. The itty bitty 'compliments of the chef's' taster was barely seen on the plate.

We thought we'd better go to the bistro to pick up something to take to our room for later on. Even a little 2 inch round quiche was $8.00...so we passed...(pack your own snacks)

After the sauna's and pool experience we headed back to our room to relax and then rented a movie ($12.99 pl tax). We shut the lights out around midnight.

We were exhausted...and went to sleep right away...until 2:30am and a vacuum started up and stopped and went on and off for at least 1+ 1/2 hours. In the middle of all this something loud came crashing down. Finally the vacuum must have stopped as I think I dozed off...but again awoke at approx. 4:15am to a noise on one side of our window and it would not stop.
As we both lay there wide awake listening to what resembled the sound of a popcorn maker in our room...we decided to call the desk to tell them...a fellow came up after our 2nd call and he could not tell what it was except that the rain may be causing it. But when daylight came we could see the rain pooling at one end of the window ledge outside and when it came down, it splashed down on two different levels of aluminum window frame, which created this very disturbing noise. Needless to say we were not happy and exhausted too.

When we checked out we reiterated the displeasure of having no sleep and offered us $60. back. This would be applied back to a Gift Card we had used.

I asked to speak to the manager myself. The manager asked if I called down about the vacuum and no I hadn't as I was exhausted and kept thinking it was finally stopping, but only to hear it start up again and again.

Our room was closest to the restaurant and am assuming they may have been moving the furniture and vacuuming...I suggested they vacuum right after the restaurant closes instead. I also said the sound of the rain in our room was not normal and should be fixed...she said maintenance will look into it.
After I explained everything to the manager I truly felt like she doubted me, but she begrudgingly gave us full credit back on the gift card, which wouldn't pay for half a night there now.

Fair and reasonable compensation would have been one free night.

We should have come home feeling well rested and relaxed, instead we were drained and exhausted!

Last weekend we stayed in a hotel on Robson Street in downtown Vancouver and had a wonderful sleep, compared to Sparkling Hill Resort out in the middle of nowhere.

If you are thinking of trying out the resort, especially avoid the room closest to the restaurant!

5 Thank Kelowna1
Dear Kelowna1,

On behalf of the entire Sparkling Hill, I am very sorry to hear that your experience was less than satisfactory. Providing exceptional service at a world class resort is a very important part of the Sparkling Hill experience and we would like to apologize for what seems to have been a lapse in our practices. Seeing that your ratings for Rooms, Locations and Cleanliness are quite favourable, hopefully this experience will not sour your impression of Sparkling Hill indefinitely. If you would like to connect with us further, please find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for the latest news from Sparkling Hill.

Sparkling Hill Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
13.2 km away
12.6 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vernon
18.7 km away
The Castle at Swan Lake

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!