Open today: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Whistler Sightseeing Tour: Discover all of Whistler Year-Round!

Book in advance
from
C$104.90
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre
from C$104.90
from C$699.00
from C$221.72
from C$443.45
1,059 results
All reviews first nations gift shop guided tour bannock short film welcome song totem poles salmon chowder great insight whistler village artifacts culture museum cedar tribe heritage native
Selected filters
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is my first trip to Whistler. I am a winter person, so I live for snow. This is a great place for that.

I went to the Cultural Centre to learn more about the First Nations and their way of life. This is a stunning building and when you first enter the building, you are greeted by very friendly hosts. Immediately you felt like you have been welcomed into their home. The great hall housed many stunningly beautiful totems, a couple of very old totems and many that looked newer and modern. Regardless of their age, these are beautiful creations. There is an interactive section at the end of the hall where children (even adults) can play with drums, try on traditional clothing and draw.

It is great to join in the tour as the guides are First Nation Indians. Their welcome song is a delight as their voices so uplifting. You get an overview of the artifacts and the First Nation way of life. Much better than just reading the exhibits. This is a great supplement. Of course, the amount of information provided by the guides is very dependent on the types of questions that the tour group asks. The short movie is an absolute must to watch. The views of Pemberton and Whistler.... out of this world. Although, it can distract you from really listening to the narration when your breath is taken away by the vistas. I watched it twice because I missed so much of the narrative the first time as I was so absorbed by the views. When I watched the film the second time, the views still take my breath away, but I can concentrate more on the narrative.
At the end of the tour, we get to make a cord from cedar bark strips and that was a great experience and souvenir.

After the tour, you can take your time to peruse around the exhibits. You would have developed a great appreciation after the tour.

Date of experience: March 2014
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Get to know more about the origins of the of the first nation here in well laid out detail. Very interesting and informative with the exhibition items and explanations. You can have a guided
tour or a very good wander as we did both. The first nation had a great heritage and this is shown clearly on the 2 floors and out side with the items made, art and maps. Some can be purchased in the gift shop. It is easy to get to by the no5 free shuttle bus and back to the town centre.

Date of experience: January 2014
1  Thank Worldtraveller36
Reviewed February 19, 2014

One of the fantastic legacies of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. For the first time you have rival First Nations tribes working together in harmony and sharing the culture. I found the experience to be authentic and the First Nations guides took pride in their heritage and eager to share. Wonderful pieces of art. A Whistler hidden gem. A must see.

Date of experience: December 2013
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Did this by myself while friends skied. Found it very interesting and informative. A good way to get an insight into the aboriginal people of the area.

Date of experience: February 2014
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The admission fee for this museum is $18.50, but inquire about their weekly discount day. This museum is quite a showcase for First Nations basketry and canoes and there are a couple of interesting maps as well. It has two floors (with elevator) plus a lower level with cafe and gift shop. Unfortunately, the museum Info panels are a little hidden but their placement is consistent so once you see the pattern, you can seek them out. I don't know how long this museum has been open but it seemed as though it is possibly still in the early stages so perhaps they will finish some of the panels and finish the identification process. I enjoyed many of the displays but left feeling hopeful that the museum will continue to evolve and grow into the wonderful building it is housed in. There is a tour, so perhaps the tour would provide info missing from the displays, (but it was canceled the day I was there, probably as I was the only person there.)

Date of experience: January 2014