This was our third year staying at the Westin Whistler for a family ski holiday with our two young children. Overall, this place is still my pick of Whistler hotels for the overall package it offers – Westin style & comfort of accommodation can always be relied on, and the location of the resort is excellent. However, my review this year is a little mixed - we all left feeling a little disappointed – the resort managed to suitably impress us in the last two years with exceptional service, but the warm hospitality we had previously experienced was definitely lacking this year.
The great things about this place
- LOCATION – I still think this is the best location in Whistler, especially when travelling with young children – 20 metres from the ski valet to the dropoff for Whistler Kids and the Village Gondola, close to all the village shops & restaurants
- ROOMS – we always stay in a 2 bedroom apartment which is compact (as is most accommodation in central Whistler Village) but provides plenty of space & all the amenities we need when travelling with 2 children – separate living with gas log fire, small kitchen, 2 bathrooms, plenty of storage space; the décor is warm and inviting, and the room temperature remains constantly comfortable; the only thing it lacks is it’s own washing machine (each floor does have its own laundry with excellent front loaders which have a good gentle cycle for those delicate base layers) and sufficient space for a drying rack for clothes (which simply meant that our 2nd shower was usually permanently set up as a drying room!)
- WESTIN HEAVENLY BEDS – are just that! Incredibly comfortable!!
- SPA – great masseuses, but a little pricey and you still can’t charge to the room
- SKI VALET – extremely efficient once again, never a queue (even at peak times); at the end of the day they set up a tent at the bottom of the gondola run, so you can hand your skis over before walking back to the hotel
The not-so-good experiences this year:
- ROOM REQUEST – we arrived jetlagged having travelled for more than 40 hours to find that the room we requested (booked 12 months in advance), was not available so we were moved to an "equivalent" room several floors lower. Aside from the disappointment of being moved, it also resulted in a further delay at check-in because I had to request my parents be moved to the same floor as us as initially requested in our booking. To add salt to the wound, we then had the misfortune of a week's worth of extremely noisy upstairs neighbours who seemed to be thumping on their floor every night until close to midnight – despite Starwood’s promise to upgrade Gold members when available, this felt distinctively like a downgrade!
- HOUSEKEEPING – every morning we would leave at 8.30 for ski lessons, and return at 4pm after picking up the kids – on several occasions, our room was either in the process of being serviced or had not even been attended to yet – which is incredibly frustrating when you have exhausted kids in tow. As a top ski resort, I would expect that all rooms be serviced before the mountain closes at 4pm to allow guests to return and rest/shower/change
- HOSPITALITY – we noticed that the friendly “service with a smile” had miraculously disappeared in the 12 months since our last visit; whilst staff were polite, the warmth and sincerity we had previously experienced was not forthcoming. In addition, personal attention was also lacking – on arrival in our room, there was a "welcome" card on our kitchen bench, which would have softened the lingering frustration from check-in until I opened it to discover it was actually addressed to somebody else!!
- POOL – we took the kids to the pool once during our stay, and vowed never to return! The pool area was reminiscent of public pools in the 80s (drab & unwelcoming décor) and crowded with rowdy, inconsiderate and misbehaving kids (the parents were no better!!)
In summary, this resort is still my preferred place to stay in Whistler, and whilst overall, I left feeling a little disappointed, it has not deterred me from returning. Hopefully, next time we will find the warm and personal level of service restored, and we will give this place the accolades we have given it in the past.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Whistler Village just yards from the gondolas and the slopes of Whistler and Blackcomb mountains, The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler is an all-suite, full-service conference hotel and spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Starwood, Booking.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Resort And Spa, Whistler
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler Hotel Whistler
- Westin Resort Whistler
- Westin Hotel Whistler
- Westin Whistler
- Whistler Westin