“Great Access to Creekside Lift - Unit 111”
Review of Lake Placid Lodge

Lake Placid Lodge
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We stayed in Unit 111 as part of our first ski trip to Whistler. We dealt directly with the owner to book and she confirmed all the details our our rental. When we arrived we accessed the keys via a lockbox (that happened to be broken and took a little doing), and then used an access code to enter the actual room. There is no concierge, or anyone to greet you or answer questions when you arrive. But that's often the case when dealing directly with an owner. It wasn't a big deal.

This condo is a one-bedroom, ground floor unit and included everything we needed for our stay including a small well equiped kitchen. This is a very cozy unit and well kept. There was a nice gift basket waiting for us with popcorn, oatmeal packets, and nutri-grain bars, which was a nice touch. Plenty of pillows, blankets, and towels were provided. There is a TV with a reasonable selection of channels.

Underground parking was great, although the spaces were not huge. I drive a larger truck, and it took some doing to get out of the spot we had parked in. If I had not thought-out my parking plan when I arrived, I would not have been able to get out.

As a tip, there are two luggage dollies in the lower parking area for use by guests. We drove up to the front door and offloaded all our stuff, then carried it all to our rooms. It wasn't until we parked the truck we realized that they store them in the foyer of the parking area.

There is a ski locker area right inside the front door as you enter, although we chose to store all our gear in my truck in the garage. It is locked throughout the day, but apparently the completely lock it out later in the evening so nobody can get in.

The condo has a washer/dryer unit - you put your clothes in the one drum and it both washes and dry's everything. We tried one load twice, but after it came out wet both times, we just decided to bring it all home since we were only staying for two nights. Apparently there is a coin-op laundry room with washers/dryers in the lodge, but we didn't use it.

There is an outdoor pool and a hottub at the lodge, but we didn't use it because it was closed the morning we wanted to use it.

The hallways are definately worn from all the traffic, and even though there are signs when you enter asking you not to bring your ski gear into the lodge, we saw people walking through the halls with all their gear. This explains the dings, bangs, scrapes and worn paint in the hallways, etc. But the inside of our unit was in great shape.

The Lake Placid Lodge sits a short walk from the Creekside chairlift (less than 5 minute walk). This was very convenient! You can buy all your passes right beside the lift. We were there mid-week before Christmas, and only had to wait a couple chairs to get on the lift. The area around it has a few restaurants, coffee shops, gear stores, liquor store, etc. It is about a 5 minute drive (or more) from Whistler Village. So be prepared to drive if you want to access the larger area that that has more amenities. The area around the Lodge was clean and felt safe.

The owner of this unit did a great job, and we would definately consider staying here again if we decide to return to Whistler.

Room Tip: Read the reviews on TripAdvisor to find a room in decent condition based on guests reviews. It soun...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Victoriatravelers

Reviewed 12 December 2011

The location is in Creekside; the check-in is 10 minutes away in the Upper Village which is past Creekside meaning a trip there to check-in and a trip back there to check out; 40 minutes of my time wasted when the Lodge has a perfectly good and unused reception.
An insuite laundry room for washer and dryer was without both; if you are thinking about staying there for a few days...don't. Resort Quest advertises "free" internet; what they don't say is that it depends on whether or not the owner of the unit has set-up Intenet and provided permission/password to use it.
Had business work to do and was told by "helpful" accommodations staff to use the local Starbucks...yea right. Sure looked like mould in the shower. The security code on our suite changed at 09:30 AM, not after check-out 10:00 AM; we were lucky that one of us was still in the room or it would have caused chaos.
Plus side - the apartment was comfy, quiet and the pool and hot tub out back well located. Ski lift is very close by.

Room Tip: if you wish simple amenities such as Internet and clothes washer/dryer don't assume they are the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2011

A trired time share Suite #102. No views - busses ran constantly day and night. Furniture smelt and was uncomfortable. Key needed to open every door for outside access from garage to BBQ area. Avoid unless a last option
Plus - over the road from Creekside shopping

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Coll46
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Lake Placid Lodge! We stayed in a one bedroom unit which was perfect for two people. Our condo was updated and very clean. The kitchen was well stocked for any type of cooking you might want to do. There are two gas grills by the pool which are available for barbecues. Having a parking space in the basement was definitely a bonus in an area where parking is at a premium. Although Lake Placid is a short drive from the main town, we were glad to get away from crowds and noise after a full day of activities. We hope to return to Whistler and would love to stay at Lake Placid Lodge again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank obxfan1
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I stayed in room 116 with my daughter for 3 days and although the facilities overall are run down the apartment was adequate. That said at the end of the month when reviewing my credit card statement there was an additional charge of $840 on my bill (original full payment had been ($409.90). When I required with Whistler Retreats on the reason for the charge, they said that an owner had seen me bring in a dog. I have no dog! Did they call to let me know before putting the charge through?Not at All! I am disputing my charge and will follow through with a complaint with the Better Business Bureau unless I get a quick resolution

Room Tip: Stay somewhere Else
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2011

Resort Reservations Whistler was very convenient and helpful and did a great job booking everything (rooms, flights, shuttle, lift passes, etc). We stayed at Lake Placed Lodge Rm #121, a privately owned one-bedroom managed by Whistler Retreats who rent it out for the owners when they are not there. There is no front desk at the lodge, check-in is at the Marketplace Lodge in Whistler village. The shuttle bus took us there and back so it was only a minor inconvenience. Room was very nice and an excellent deal so close to the Creekside base. The fireplace did not work and the door closer was messed up but no big deal. The hot tub was sweet after some hard days of skiing. But Whistler Retreats management was totally incomptetent and made much of our trip highly stressful; I wasted a good deal of my vacaton time trying to deal with those idiots. Friends came and stayed in LP Lodge as well. When they called the front desk (in Marketplace) they were told our room was not managed by WR. Then they were told there was no parking for their SUV with a roof box; actually half the parking garage has such parking. They had to spend $25/night to park at Legends across the road (we came by bus so did not consider parking. Day lots in Whistler or Creekside no not allow any overnight parking). Our last day we wanted to ski and leave in the evening. In the emails I exchanged prior to booking they told me, "...if you book with them, you can pre arrange to leave your luggage there on your last day and agree to a particular return time to pick it up..." But when we got there, they said no we can't do that. They had no idea if anywhere in Whistler could check our bags for us. I called around but the only public lockers seem to be for skis or boots and will not hold a suitcase. The Greyhound bus "terminal" (hole in the wall) has nothing and other hotels will only check bags for their own customers due to insurance or something. I called the next day to see if we could stay an extra night and was told the room was not booked so we could. I called back later, got the same person, asked if we could arrange a late checkout and was told no because the room was booked. "You just told me it was not booked". "Oh, let me see, uhhh..., oh that's right, blah blah blah..." Either she was totally clueless or working for the competition. Her basic response to everything was just to say no, you can't do it. The third time I called and got the same person, I just hung up. I called after hours but they could not help other than to leave a message for the regular people to call me the next morning. They never did. The next day I tried again and got the person who said our room was not with WR so they couldn't do anything. I called that night but, again, all they could do was to leave an "urgent" message for the regular staff to call first thing in the morning. I never did hear from them. Of course most of this had to be done between ski runs at long distance rates on my cell phone which is incompetently managed by Bell Mobility..but thats another review. Fortunately some friends drove up the next day and we left our bags in their car while we skied. Otherwise, we would have missed a day skiing (one of only two days during our trip that the alpine areas were open) and Whistler would have missed 2 days lift passes. So my advice on Whistler Retreats is, "don't fall for it!" Save up some more money and book with someone else. If you can't afford that, don't go to Whistler.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank skibumpete
Reviewed 19 February 2011

We stayed in room 107 for 3 nights. The room was privately owned and managed/rented through ResortQuest. Rate was $160/night.

They only give you one key to the condo. While the door to the unit is a combo lock, the key is required to get in the front door. Only having one key can be a big inconvenience, so keep this in mind.

The worst part of this room was the check-in/out process. The ResortQuest desk for this condo is waaaay up in the Blackcomb Benchlands, in the lobby of the Aspens on Blackcomb. It is about a 7 km drive (10-15 minutes) and completely out of the way, up past the village in a place you really have no other reason to go. You are required to both pick up and then drop off the key to the common areas/parking at this location. We didn't see any reason why we needed to return the key to the desk; we expected to be able to just leave the key in the room. Its an extra 30 kms of driving (40 minutes to an hour) considering round-trips. Icing on the poor experience cake, I guess.

As for the room, it is dated and clearly showing its age. The bed is uncomfortable and squeaky. The shower smelled like mildew. Noise travels freely through the interior walls. This room faces Lake Placid Road, which is a main bus route, so there are diesel buses roaring by all through the day & night. It is also the main access for Creekside and day skier parking. The suite was stuffy and had an odd smell upon arrival, but you cannot sleep with the window open due to noise from outside. The electric baseboard heating is horrible; the thermostats are worn out and don't work properly. They blast you with heat and then freeze you solid before repeating the cycle. All of the gas fireplaces in the entire complex were turned off due to fire code violations. One of the two elevators was broken, with repairs scheduled in the coming weeks.

As for the decor... TACKY. They should call this room the "dances with wolves" suite. Framed photos of wolves adorn every free inch of the walls and there was even a well-used VHS copy of the movie on the shelf.

My wife and I booked this condo just for a place to sleep. The rest of our group was staying at another, larger and much nicer place where we spent most of our time. If we spent more time in the unit, we would surely be even more disappointed with our stay.

On the plus side, it has free parking and is very close to the Creekside base area. It was also very clean, besides the stale/stuffy smells.

This unit is the worst we have rented in Whistler. If you could get this suite for $99/night or less, I would consider it acceptable value for money. I do not recommend this unit. There is better value out there in the same price range.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple