“Generally the cheapest in whistler (for a reason)”
Review of Alpenglow Lodge

Alpenglow Lodge
“Generally the cheapest in whistler (for a reason)”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Generally substandard suites at high prices. My latest stay in ste303 had a terrrible bed.
I've stayed a few times. It's run down low quality with expensive parking. But good location and cheaper than many alternatives.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank david963258

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Cozy bedroom and good localization near from the Village Square and bus loop. Me and my husband loved it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leslie Q
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 3 November 2011

This is a review of my third visit in the Alpenglow. My last two visits in this hotel now are with the “5 nights and 4 day ski-pass” package. These packages are good value and I recommend visiting Whistler or Alpenglow with this kind of package.
For Whistler, this hotel’s location is fine (it is not great or bad either). It is just off the main pedestrian streets that have restaurants, bars and shops. My accommodation was a bachelor suite (about 450SF large). It was clean, mostly carpeted, with nice, clean and bright bathroom (including bathtub). The kitchen was decent, equipped with everything you need for a few days stay. The living room had gas fire place, TV with DVD player, balcony, small storage room, iron c/w board, Murphy-bed and fold-out couch. The suite can sleep up to four people. The building itself was nice and well maintained. There is a secure underground garage. The main entrance operates on a card system. It is a safe place to stay at.
Strangely, the Wi-Fi was not included. I found it to be a bit odd as even in developing countries the budget accommodations have free Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi in Alpenglow was also quite expensive to purchase. The suite was very clean upon my arrival but not cleaned during my stay there. But that was the part of the deal. There is nobody at the reception desk, as this hotel (with a couple of other hotels) has the “active” reception at the Cascade Lodge hotel. You can contact this reception desk by using phone in your room, or phone in the Alpenglow reception area or by actually walking to the Cascade Lodge hotel. I had no problem contacting or dealing with the reception. I also did not encounter any extra cleaning charges.
The amenities of this hotel were OK. There is a gym, “sauna, “steam room”, outside pool and Jacuzzi. The gym was decent. The “sauna” was a typical “warm Canadian” sauna. It was good enough to warm up in after a day of skiing but don’t expect a real hot European sauna. The steam room was still “out of order”. It was obvious that it is out of order since my last visit almost a year ago ….. The outside pool was nice and so was the Jacuzzi.
Even though some of the suites in this hotel are rented to kids that work on the mountain for the season (party ….), I have no complaint about any noise, etc.
Whistler is not cheap. Alpenglow does not provide luxury, but you get what you pay for. Alpenglow provides good accommodation at decent value. I can recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank povetron
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We stayed in the Alpenglow suites for the period of May. Firstly the good points...
- Great location
- Great value if you split the cost between a few friends.
- Internet included

Now the bad points.
- They claim there is a 24hour front desk. This is ridiculous as from what i could see it was barely there for more than a few hours each day.
- When you call the number for the front desk that is presented in the in-room binder you are out through the the whistler village suites (a completely separate facility who's front desk seemed very confused as to why i had their number!)
- Soldiers in Afghanistan have better nights sleep on Army cot beds than i did on mine in the Alpenglow facility.
- The entire apartment was a mixture of old battered appliances mixed with new that had just replaced the item that would previously have been broken by the last guest.

The real killer was the extra cleaning charge that we received upon check out. We had tidied the apartment to a good standard, cleaned cookers, fridge, removed all garbage, hoovered etc, as we had anticipated the hotels' on housekeeping department to come in and do the rest (as you would expect in any normal hotel). We were then charge $220 to have housekeeping come and clean the unit in preparation for the next guests. It seemed that this charge was unavoidable as no matter how clean you get the place I would still always have expected housekeeping to go in and clean it anyway!!

Room Tip: The rooms aren't bad, just the service.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank JackA056
Smithers, BC
Reviewed 24 April 2011

It was a very negative experience. The website is very deceiving-it claims that there is 24 hour front desk service (VERY untrue), the pictures that are on the website are not accurate (we were under the impression that we would have a bedroom but it was simply a bed in the middle of the living room-we were told we booked a bedroom), there were no batteries in the remotes, the bed was extremely uncomfortable, the headboard made a loud and annoying squeaky noise every time you moved even a little, the pillows were awful, the customer service was awful (had to ask for more towels, when we arrived there was no one there we had to call someone and when he finally came we were told that we weren't able to check-in until 4PM when we arrived there at 11:30 AM, there was no one to come and check on us if we needed anything like more shampoo etc., only ever seemed to be one person working and he looked exhausted, when we checked-out there was a lady working and she was very rude), cleanliness was questionable (hot tub goop, dead bugs in lamp above table, cigarette butts on balcony...), shower made very loud noise when in use (like a screaming kettle), table was very unstable (I was leaning over to pick up something and bumped into table which fell quite hard onto my head), gym machines were VERY outdated and lacking, location is right across from Dominos pizza and 7-11 which attracted all of the town drunks at approx 3 every morning, guest bed was very unstable and unsafe, there was no where to put dinner chairs when guest bed was needed, the cost is way too high for our experience at this hotel...I call this false advertisement and will not EVER be returning to this hotel or recommend it to anyone

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Em87Smithers_BC
Tahoe City, California
Reviewed 16 March 2011

We rented a 2 bedroom unit (408) for a week with our two young kids & had a great time. At first, the unit was a bit smaller than some we've rented in the past, but it was well-equipped w/ 2 full baths, full kitchen, a light bright living area with big windows, flatscreen tv and fireplace. The best part was the private hot tub on the deck w/ view of the mountains! The building itself was clean and felt safe, with underground secure parking. It had great amenities, too, from the gym to the outdoor pool & spa. Location is great - close to lots of great restaurants. Was a bit noisy Sat. night, but otherwise we slept well, contrary to some of the reviews here. Booked thru Whistler Premier and got a great deal!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SGandMT
Dave_Mitchell_WP, Front Office Manager at Alpenglow Lodge, responded to this review, 21 October 2011
We are glad to hear you had a great time while staying with Whistler Premier in unit 408 at the Alpenglow Lodge. We also want to thank you for taking the time to post this review.

Unit 408 is one of the few rooms at that lodge that has a private hot tub and as you mentioned the views from it are excellent!

If guests are looking to stay at the Alpenglow they can request a room that doesn't face Main St and that will cut down on the noise considerably.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Reading some of the other reviews on here it seems that they vary pretty wildly. I had a lovely experience of the studio condo I rented on-line (go whistler) directly from the owner (Jacquie Sali, unit was #410). I didn't have expectations of 5 star luxury when I booked but I didn't want a European standard backpacking place either. I wanted somewhere central for the nightlife and lifts (free bus 3 mins walk away), clean and tidy, with a hot tub and pool (communal). And it turned out to also include free wi-fi (used skype to call home), an ipod docking station, cable TV, free local calls (handy for booking lessons and bus tickets). There was a laundry room, a gym, sauna, steam room, and my room had a wonderful fire and little patio area. Yeah the trucks made some noise early in the morning but in all fairness, it snowed copious amounts of powder (powder!!!!) every night (2m approx) and they simply had to clear those roads before the tourists started making tracks to the lifts (the snowboarding was absolutely fantastic by the way!!!). I had a massive fridge, cooker, kettle, toaster, everything I needed. And the shower was really nice too with decent fluffy towels, comfy pillows, oh and the bed was really comfy (4 star). I honestly had such a lovely condo. Even when the hot tub wasn't working one night, I got a free pass to use the condo's opposite which by the time I went to use it, it had been fixed anyway. The owner couldn't have been more helpful. The price was brilliant compared to other condos I looked at. The prices in the Whistler resort generally were absolutely extorsionate but not the condo and the staff on the reception desk were so helpful giving me discount coupons for food and drink and stuff, helping me find my bearings. I loved it there, and I was on my own. It was so amazing that if I can afford those Whistler resort prices I hope to go back every year.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo