“Great location & comfortable stay for the price” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Aspens on Blackcomb
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Dallas, Texas
“Great location & comfortable stay for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

It's hard to evaluate the place as a whole as every room is different. We booked through Allura Direct through a private owner so we didn't deal with the front desk at all.
Our room (#204) was perfect for us. Comfortable, new furniture in the living room, free wifi, clean bathroom with hot water and good water pressure and a kitchen with plenty of supplies.
The location is great for skiing Blackcomb and less than a ten minute, super easy walk to get to the base of Whistler/Whistler Village. We ate dinner most nights in Whistler Village and it was an easy commute. Not sure how it would be in a snowstorm, but fine on a clear night.
We stayed here without a car, and we certainly didn't need one.
The only cons to this place is that the walls are somewhat thin, and the pool/ hot tub area can be somewhat noisy at night. It would usually quiet down before 11 so it wasn't that big of a deal.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2010

We booked Aspens #355 and we delighted with our choice. Located right at the end of the complex overlooking the Blackcomb piste and main ski lift - close enough to touch the ski run and you could very nearly leap off the balcony and ski down to the lift, so 10/10 for location. 355 is very comfortable, nicely furnished and a real home from home, so much better than a hotel. One bedroom with lovely views and a comfortable bed. Only drawback (and this would apply to any of the accommodations on Blackcomb ) is they can be a bit noisy for some periods overnight when the piste bashers are at work - usually at around midnight. they have an unfortunate 'beep' when going backwards and this tends to penetrate the otherwise silence of the night. You'd get the same if you were paying 3 x as much staying at the Fairmont so just roll over and get over yourself.

We really could not fault 355. We booked through Blackcombe Peaks who were extremely efficient and also arranged for ski passes (at much better rates than published) to be ready in our room. We stayed 2 weeks and housekeeping came without being asked after the first week and changed all the bedding, towels etc. The Aspens has a couple of hot tubs and a heated pool. We didn't use either I'm afraid as we're not into intimate bathing with complete strangers! The strong smell of chlorine tended to suggest that nothing is alive in the water but you probably come out sterilised too!

So 355 is a definate YES if you're looking for excellent ski in - ski out accommodation in Whistler. We just hope you're luckier with the weather than we were over Christmas when it actually rained, yes rained for about 3 days in a row and we never saw the sun. But hey, that's the only downside to what is otherwise a really excellent resort.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2010

Boy talk about a mediocre reception when checking in ! I had booked this room through Whistler central reservations but no idea that we would be greeted by indifferent staff when we checked in. Getting any information when checking in was a real effort , as were parking directions and no help getting gear to your room - though they are very quick to tell you on the sign in sheet that you have to clean up before you leave or they will charge extra. For the money we were paying, I could not believe it. The rooms were somewhat worn down, loose doorknobs, worn carpets. The hot tubs were not working. I rated this a 3 for location only because you can ski in and ski out - everything else is a walk downhill and uphill on the return journey - it's not close to the action like most other hotels. If you are coming for a few days and looking for a more pleasant type of experience, look elsewhere at Whistler. For the money it's way overpriced.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank happycamper77
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2010

We (family of four adults) stayed in a two bedroom unit during the Winter Olympics 2010. Enjoyed the Games but were terribly dissapointed with accommodations at Aspens. For $700/nt here's what we experienced:
- knobby, uncomfortable bed mattresses and pillows
- tattered, dilapidated bedding with bed sheets that don't fit, ragged bed covers (frayed, bunched up)
- scruffy furniture (old TV tube from the 70's, TV cabinet all beat up)
- grungy, moldy shower, missing light bulb
- toilet paper of poorest quality
- kitchen pots/pans scruffy, scratched, teflon flaking off
- etc... (pls see photos attached)

On a good side:
- location (ski in / ski out, close to lifts, walking distance from the village)
- heated swimming pool, hot tub (although we have not used, it appeared operational)
- Premier allowed an earlier check-in since I was not feeling well (... much appreciated).

Hope this feedback helps with Aspens' efforts to improve. Until such time, the claim that this is a 'three star Hotel' simply is NOT TRUE.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Olga P
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2009

The room was nice enough- but looking closer things were a little shabby. Shower rod fell down under the weight of a swim suit. Sink plumbing leaked on the floor. Got a parking ticket even though I paid and had a receipt on the dashboard. The front desk said they would take care of it, but never got a promised call back to confirm. I did like the location and the pool and hot tub in the snow was great, The parking was underground and nice not to have to scrape the car. A quick ski to the lodge and about a 10 minute walk to the main village. Front desk was friendly but a few quirks. Like having to get towel cards to use the pool and a slow wait to get skis from the concierge. Advice- send someone down 10 minutes before the rest of the group is ready to retrieve your skis.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Ranger33
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

Think about it. You don't want to get on a bus or carry your skis through town. You want the kids to have easy access to ski camp. You want to relax at the Fairmont apres-ski. You want to cook your own food. You want to have a lovely, ten-minute, evening walk over a covered bridge into the center of Whistler. The Aspens as it all. We have stayed here six times and loved it every single time (especially when there's fresh snow). The front desk is spartan, but the services available are great: coffee cart, free phone calls anywhere, ski shop, ski check-in. It's the easiest place to be at Whistler-Blackcomb!

Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank samdr
california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

The front desk has no clue what they are doing. My door did not lock. The room was very dated and dirty. When I tried to move they did not have a room. They charged for parking but my SUV would not fit in the garage, so I had to park on the street a mile away.
Finally they agreed to give me a refund. Day after day I went back asking why the $1000.00 dollars had not been creditied to my account, always they told me it had but day after day the funds never showed up. Great, on vacation now Im short $1000.00 out of my account. After a week later I am still waiting for the the funds to appear in my account. I contacted resort quest and spoke to thier customer service after 2 days they came back and told me that they had credited my account a week ago. Wow if you claim you credited my account why no concern where the funds went, they sure did not go into my account. I dont belive they credited my account and they certainly do not care what happened to the funds. I would never stay at a resort quest facility ever. I heard nothing but complaints form every guest who came buy while I was camped out at the front desk dealing with my issue. They never showed andy responsibility for locating the funds, I ended up going to my bank and reporting the charges as not autorized so that I could get my money back. This is no way a reputable business treats its guests.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family