“Great facilites!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Whistler Lodge Hostel
Sydney, Australia
“Great facilites!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

Stayed here over christmas as new year and to begin with was very confused as to why they where so strict on the 4pm check-In time as I got there at 3pm and was told to wait outside In the cold till 4pm. I was pretty shocked at the size of my bed, being 6ft2" I found it hard to lie out stretched In the Tiny sleeping space.. There is not much room for your luggage either.

The hostel was very clean except for the bathrooms which seemed to always be dirty when I used them. The casual staff where great! No issues at all except for trying to access the balcony which seemed to never be unlocked during my 2 week stay. The hot tub was great and the cooking facilities where above par for a hostel! The location was a bit of a treck to the bus stop and walking back is very tiring up a huge hill.

Overall for the rate I think it's a great value for money and I'm definatly glad I stayed here although I think I would have preferred to book a private room one or two of the nights to break it up.

ENJOY YOUR STAY HERE!

The hostel was very clean apart from the bathrooms which

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank SnowSurfDive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2010

Nice place to stay for sure, cool rustic construction, pool table, TV room, super short drive to the slopes/Whistler Village. I never used the sauna/hot tub, but I imagine that deserves points as well. Reserve early if you want a private room.

Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank onemileofsky
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2009

The only person that complains about a hostel like this is someone that doesn't like to abide by anyone's rules. I have stayed here many times over the years and it is consistently the exact same. Basic rules, clean up after yourself and go party outside of the lodge after hours so that the rest of us can get some sleep. It's not rocket science. The staff are great and the place is as clean. I have read a couple of these reviews and have to chuckle at anyone that can't handle respecting others when they travel. Your loss.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Steve12Vancouver_BC
Akron, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

Although I am a 35 year old accountant I felt more like a child staying at this hostel. It reminded me of the school camping trip I took in the 6th grade. This hostel did not allow food in the rooms and all food was locked up at 8pm. Also, you must take your shoes off upon entering the hostel. For as many rules as there were you would think the place would stay clean but instead the bathrooms smelled of urine. I think the owner is hoping that rules can take the place of hiring cleaners. The bathroom also ran out of toilet paper and was not well maintained. The hostel has a deck with a beautiful view but it is locked after 8pm. The only positive thing about this hostel is that there was a pretty cool Aussie guy running the check in desk that seemed to want to make the experience more enjoyable despite all the rules he had to enforce. Trust me you do not want to stay here unless you are a child.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KevinCPA
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2006

This place was great! Whistler is notoriously expensive, so my fiance and I booked the private room (sleeps 2, $75 CAN per night, has locking door) at the UBC lodge. This place used to be the ski lodge for the UBC ski team, and has now been converted to a hostel that is open to the public.

We met lots of really cool people, got to hang out in a hot tub, made all of our own meals in the kitchen (which saved us a ton of cash)... the people who work there are cool, they have a pool table, TV room, and (best of all) the place is cleaned daily.

I cruised around in the dorm area briefly and it was a little smelly (skiing people in the winter can get stinky), so if you are in the least bit squeamish about dirtiness I would book the private room.

Overall, a great and cheap place to stay at whistler! I would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2006