All reviewscross country skiingski touringwood fired saunahighly recommend this experiencecountry experiencefantastic adventurebeautiful mountainstwo nightsgames roomend of the dayterrainbackcountrytrailsnowpowdertobogganinggear
Reviewed January 16, 2018

I stayed at the Journeyman Lodge as a staff Christmas trip on January 8th & 9th and it was so much more than I expected! We were treated with a cozy cat ride in to the lodge, a cat ride out the following day and all of our luggage was shuttled in by snowmobile. Great service followed by more great service!

We were greeted with smiling faces as we entered the beautiful lodge. The staff help us with some route finding before we set out on our splitboards and skis as we had never been to the area before. The terrain was not disappointing! We were lucky enough to have 20cm of fresh snow fall overnight so we set out early the second day to get some turns and make it back on time to catch the cat shuttle out.

The chef Joe, and the lodge attendant Valerie took excellent care of us during our stay and prepare DELICIOUS food and always had fresh coffee out for us. We really enjoyed the lounge areas with pool table, darts, and table tennis. But our favourite part was the outdoor, wood burning sauna down by the creek!

Can't wait to go back again some day! Thanks again Callaghan team!

Room Tip: Don't forget about the sauna!
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2018

Beautiful Landscape!

Beautiful Skiing!

Beautiful Snow!

Beautiful Staff!

Beautiful Food!

Beautiful Lodge!

The Journeyman Lodge was, in no uncertain terms, a BEAUTIFUL place to spend a few days with friends, I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2018

Took a trip with co-workers up to the Journeyman Lodge for a one-night getaway, and was super impressed! We had a transfer in and out by cat, which was neat since I'd never been in a cat before.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with a tour, tea and coffee, and slippers! In the evening, we were served fantastic pre-dinner appetizers (perfect since we were hungry after a day's skiing) and then a 3 course dinner. The food was really good, and much fancier than I expected, though the dining experience was not pretentious at all. We stayed in the sleeping nook rooms, which had very comfortable beds in rooms outfitted with a little storage and hanging area for each person. The lodge itself was huge, outfitted with multiple living rooms, a pool table, books, a wood burning stove, and everything you would want for a cozy evening. Everything was warm and clean.

The skiing was also awesome. We had 20cm of fresh snow overnight, and were the only people up there! We were so close to home (as the crow flies) and yet we felt like we were a world away. The place has a strong wilderness feel, despite the luxury lodge. Avalanche danger was a bit high, but there were still lots of mellow lines suitable for the conditions. I don't think I've ever had so much fun tree skiing. If we would have stayed longer, I would have liked to make it a multi-sport trip and included some snowshoeing and cross-country skiing since there is so much terrain available for those activities as well.

I would absolutely go there again, perhaps for a romantic getaway or special occasion. One night was just not enough! It's nice to have such a special place so close to home.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed January 10, 2018

I've been to Journeyman Lodge 3 times, each time for 2 nights in late December. The lodge itself is very comfortable and warm, not posh but far from "rustic" (i.e. it has indoor hot and cold water, showers, flush toilets, electricity). The lodge is well staffed and well maintained. The lodge holds ~20 guests.
The real value is not the lodge but the location: set in a pleasant valley surrounded by mountains with excellent intermediate to advanced terrain, 13km from civilization. Very few day skiers make it up. No helicopters. No sleds. I've had excellent snow for each visit (just lucky?).
It's not cheap, but its a good value for very comfortable lodging way off the grid.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2018

My co-workers and I spent 2 days at the lodge for a late Christmas celebration. Considering how close this is to Whistler, it really feels like you are out in the wilderness. It's a gorgeous location, and the lodge is big and cozy with all the amenities as well as comfortable beds. The staff are so friendly and accommodating of our various food requirements. And the terrain all around the lodge is amazing but does require a good ability to route-find as this is complex terrain with consequences. We could have stayed for weeks and never done the same run twice. I will definitely be back with my friends and family!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good even the little singles. It's very nice for a backcountry lodge.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business