All reviews cross country skiing ski touring wood fired sauna highly recommend this experience country experience fantastic adventure beautiful mountains two nights games room end of the day terrain backcountry trail snow powder tobogganing gear
Reviewed March 5, 2018 via mobile

My husband and 14-year-old son and I had a wonderful two night stay at the journeyman lodge. This ski was just the beautiful and well marked. The lodge is very clean with good food, flush toilets, showers, and sauna (not usually found at a backcountry cabin). Spent the day Backcountry skingand the snow was fabulous, the resources at the lodge work very good and easy. Highly recommend.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed March 4, 2018 via mobile

We have had a home in Whistler for years and have heard about the lodge and said we would go many times. But had never made it. This year however we went for three nights and had an amazing experience. The track in was a great workout and enjoyable. The accommodations were comfortable and relaxing. We day toured and just plain relaxed. The food was great as well. We also met some new friends. The best part was being offline and unplugged for a few days. We will go back next year.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2018

I've had 30 years now of backcountry trips, staying at ACC huts to fully catered and guided operations. This was my second trip into Journeyman Lodge and I tell everyone I know I think it is a hidden gem that would (oddly) have a better reputation if it wasn't so easy to get to! It took me 25 years of living in Vancouver before i tried it, and I am a dedicated fan now. It has the balance of great skiing terrain (xc and backcountry) and a warm cozy lodge that has enough nooks and open areas to encourage great conversations. I think one of its great strengths is that it has appeal for a wide range of interests - from the hard core (I probably fit there) to someone who is just comfortable in Whistler's slack-country, through to a group that wants to hire a guide and explore the true backcountry. I would go again even if I could only take my xc gear. Having the option to go in by snowcat or ski in is fantastic. With good conditions the ski in is gorgeous and on a stormy day (like this year), the cat was perfect and easy. My focus was on backcountry skiing and l found the terrain had a bit of everything, and easy to get to. Lots to explore. We also had our xc gear and did some evening skiing - it was breathtaking.
My only niggling complaint is that the dining room is a bit like an echo chamber. Its ambiance could be easily enhanced.
The staff were great (did a great job of getting everyones' kit dry each night) , the accomodations super comfy, the food was great (love the appetizers in the living room), and the trail-grooming seemed first-class.

Room Tip: I would be happy in any of the rooms i saw.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed January 24, 2018 via mobile

Had a opportunity to work with one of the investors in the lodge clearing the accumulated snow off the main buildings roof, and 8 exhausting hours later was thrilled I did. Journeyman lodge has a terrific front of house staff that are obviously keen backcountry enthusiasts; these fine folks ensure that your stay is as pampered or rugged as you want tailored for your stay. Matching the guest service experience is the kitchen staff who carefully craft meals for all the guests and any dietary needs. The lovely aroma of hot soup gently wafting throughout the dining room and downstairs. I have enjoyed 4 nights at the lodge and always have left stuffed and happy to have made new friends while chatting of our days activities and the snow accumulations. The snow here is top notch, and routinely inspected and posted for guests knowledge as per avalanche conditions, safety is paramount here. My favourite spot is just in front of the second floor fireplace, within earshot of the pool table, dartboards and the easy chair where guest regail the days highlights over snifters of brandy, cold beer or a nice glass of vino. There are 2 new rooms added this winter, and the lodge is in beautiful shape. I would suggest that you come and experience beautiful British Columbia’s winter recreation here. Some of the activities you can do include: snowshoeing, cross country skiing, hiking, tobogganing, snowcat travel and snowmobiling. This is one of my favourite places I have reviewed for Trip advisor.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2018

My girlfriends and I spent two nights at Journeyman lodge in early January. Unfortunately, our experience was dampened by a family of 14 that took over the entire common area for the duration of our stay. There are fewer seats than the number of guests and a few more chairs would have been nice so that everyone could enjoy the space. I also felt the staff did very little to accommodate everyone.
We spent the entire time cramped in our room after two long days of skiing. The rooms are a bit basic and I would advise anyone who is considering a stay to book the apartment instead of the rooms in the event this happens to you!

The bagged lunch was pretty bad- terrible sandwich, a stale cookie, and a juicebox. I'd recommend supplementing with your own food if you plan on long days of activity.

The scenery is beautiful and the sauna was definitely a highlight. For the expense, I would have expected better staff involvement and possibly an improvement on the food front.

Room Tip: Request the apartment if you'd like to ensure that you have a space to relax after skiing.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends