“Great Steakhouse!”

Hy's Steakhouse Whistler
Reserve with OpenTable
Hy's Steakhouse Whistler is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 202 Restaurants in Whistler
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Northlands Blvd.
Description: Hy's has been Canada's premier steakhouse for over 50 years. This stunning location in the beautiful resort town of Whistler features Canadian Prime beef, an award-winning wine list and exceptional service in a warm contemporary atmosphere. As Whistler's only true steakhouse, we guarantee every guest a memorable experience.
Reviewed September 4, 2017

We are from northern California and we know a lot about great steaks. We went with our close friends for visit to Canada for their 23rd year anniversary. We decided to try Hy's Steakhouse based on previous reviews and since we were staying at the Four Seasons nearby, it was a no brainer. The service was excellent and the steaks and atmosphere were great. It topped off a great vacation to Canada!

Reviewed August 28, 2017

I ate here over the weekend and was very impressed. I'm not much of a steak eater but I didn't want to order chicken at a steakhouse lol I had the New York strip and it was cooked very well for my liking with a baked potato... haven't had a baked potato in while and everything was delicious. Prices are similar to the Keg so it's nice to have once and awhile as it can be an expensive meal.

Reviewed August 24, 2017 via mobile

The barbecue was sold out at the Four Seasons so we decided to give Hy's a try. The service was less than spectacular with an air of pretension we had not experienced in Whistler thus far in our trip. The food was good and we were not rushed and generally enjoyed ourselves.

Reviewed August 22, 2017

We ate here on our honeymoon and everything was great! The choice of steak and sides was excellent (portions are HUGE so make sure you're hungry!) and my steak was cooked perfectly. Service was attentive and we even got a complimentary dessert to commemorate our honeymoon - the chocolate bourbon cake which was incredible! Would definitely return. Total bill was over $150 for two steaks, 1 starter, 1 cocktail, 1 side, and 1 soft drink so definitely a special occasion sort of restaurant but worth it!

Reviewed August 16, 2017

I was really looking forward to visit this restaurant Hy's in Whistler.
And finally tonight I had the chance.
I made a reservation at 18:00 and I was really looking forward to a night out with a few drinks, good food and a nice experience.
Well...I got none of that.

I was literally in and out under an hour!
I arrived at 18:00 and I was out the door before 19:00!?
There goes my relaxing experience.

I know it is high season and I know it is busy.
And I know if you go and eat by yourself I am taking up a table for two.
But doing everything this quick?
I even think some food was already pre-prepared...
Because I ordered a cocktail first, so I could enjoy the cocktail before starting the meal.
But the salmon appetizer was served within 4 minutes!?

There is no bread or nothing first.
The cocktail was served, my appetizer as well, I finished and they took my plate within 1 minute and within 5 minutes I had my main course!

I did not even bother for a dessert anymore.
I did not feel welcome and appreciated.
The waiter told me that if people go by themselves they generally want to be helped quickly.
Really?
If I pay 110 Euro?
Do you think I want a dinner experience under an hour?
I did not even finish my cocktail!?
Never made it to a second drink. I wasn't even finished with the first one?!

And the waiter kept telling me: "You just take your time!".
"Just enjoy."
Well, you guys never gave me a chance to take my time?!
Leave alone to enjoy my meal!?

Then to the food.
The appetizer?
Overpowered by the cream.
Salmon was ok.

The beef wellington?
Tja, what can I say?
The potatoes were só dry!
I needed the water to down it.
If you are só confident that potatoes do not need a saus?
Fine..but then they need to be excellent on taste.
No taste at all. And too dry.

The few greens were so so and a bit hard, but that is probably ment to be so.
The beef was good.
Overal not worth the money.

I also never got the possibility to choose what I would like with my beef.
I got the baked potatoes. So I think they were pre-prepared and ready to be served.
Dry as hell.
No other option was given to me with my order.

I also did not want to come in with my 'Whistler-outfit'.
So I dressed up, because that is what I expect in a restaurant like this.
Also wrong thinking of me: people were walking around as if they just returned from the beach...in shorts and shirts.

The waiter was very kind.
He did appologize for the (too) quick service.
The beef was the center piece.
But was it worth 110 Euro?
Not even close.
I will never return to a Hy's steakhouse.
Fot that kind of money I can go anywhere else and get better food and definately better service.

Michael K, General Manager at Hy's Steakhouse Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2017

Hello NicolevdBroekEhoven

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your most recent dining experience with us at Hy's Steakhouse Whistler. I am very sorry to hear that your experience was below expectations and service was too quick. We take great pride in offering the best service, steaks and ambiance in Whistler and unfortunately it seems we were unable to provide this for you and for that we are truly sorry. I am sending through a PM as well to hopefully further discuss your experience.

Michael Kyle