“Great service but medocre food.”

ONYX Steak Seafood Bar
Ranked #4 of 157 Restaurants in White Rock
Price range: US$4 - US$26
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Pacific
Transit: Across the street from restaurant use transit stop for bus 354 (Vancouver) and C52 (White Rock).
Description: Onyx is a fresh and innovative twist on a classic Steakhouse. We are devoted to cuisine and wine and we show it off by providing an extensive Wine List and serving top cuts of meat that we dry-age ourselves, in-house. That said, we're not above having a little fun! Come in for a drink, an amazing meal or snacks, and fall in love with a room that instantly relaxes you. Between the diverse menu, the vibe of the room and the energy of our staff, we know that you'll feel comfortable in our hands.
Reviewed August 16, 2018

The Onyx is hard to be negative about because the service was excellent and the portion size and prices were reasonable considering this is somewhat of a "fine dining"
establishment.

The Onyx tries really hard. I started with the heirloom tomato and buratta salad. The tomato could have been proportioned smaller. The buratta looked like someone splattered cottage cheese on the plate. The presentation was very unappetizing. I then tried the escargot. To my surprise it was delivered to the table flambe style - very unlike the traditional presentation of escargot. While somewhat rustic, there were too many portions of snail and too many accompanying vegetables that were out of place.

Finally I tried the carpaccio. The sauce that was drizzled on top tasted like tabasco sauce. Too spicy and unnecessary with such a flavorful meat. I tried some of my dinner guest's steak. If I could go back in time, I would have ordered that. The steak was cooked perfectly and very well seasoned. I would say the steak was the best thing I tasted tonight.

For dessert I ate the creme brulee trio. I was very pleased with it. The portion was a bit large for one person but because it tasted so good - not too sweet - I didn't mind the extra.

I wish I could have been more positive about my meal at the Onyx.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

Staff and food were amazing despite it being a super busy night with the Concert at the Pier. I would highly recommend and will definitely go back. The pasta I had was delicious!!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 27, 2018 via mobile

I had the Parmesan panko crusted halibut after an amazing ahi tuna appetizer. A side salad and I was full to the brim. A recommended red wine from Kelly (cactus red) topped the meal off beautifully. My husband had calamari followed by the seafood linguine and cleaned his plate, a rarity in itself. He also asked me to try to acquire the recipe for the sauce. A wonderful dinner. Very relaxed. Thanks to our waitress TJ AND Kelly.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed July 17, 2018

Too many words to explain.
1. Don’t leave any tip if you were treated like us. After great food and a deplorable front end experience we left 10% and shouldn’t have tipped at all. The amount of disrespect, ignorance, for a pricey restaurant, and pompous attitudes turned in to to a 0/10 to an 8.
2. Good Food - make sure you hit happy hour from 4-6
3. Don’t use the washroom

Date of visit: July 2018
Nicholas P, Owner at ONYX Steak Seafood Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2018

Hello Leslie,

I am not even sure what to say other than we are so sorry for your experience and I am not even sure what to say other than I am sorry. Can you please reach out to me at nicholas@redemptionmanagement.ca to discuss further and make this right right for you?

Nicholas + Angela Popoff
Owners

Reviewed June 20, 2018 via mobile

First off let me say I rarely give negative reviews. I prefer to give my dining dollars to support a local business but I have to be honest this place was very disappointing.

I don't mind paying extra for quality. But overall price was high, quality was average and tiny portions.
I ordered the tuna for starter.
What I received was a small mound of tasty fruit with a very thin tasteless layer of tuna for $18
Main was a sirloin. Flavour was average, again overpriced at $27 and no side. What you get is a steak on an empty plate.
Ordered a "loaded" baked patato for $8 to go with my steak. It was overcooked with a thimble full of topping.

This was my first and last visit to onyx.
On a positive note, we did enjoy the local craft beers.

Date of visit: June 2018